Chapter XV
Myra (Henrie) Haycock

      MYRA HENRIE, 8th child of James & Rhoana (Hatch) Henrie, was b. 30 Mar. 1864, South Bountiful, Utah, d. 18 Mar. 1883 in Panguitch, and bur. there. She m. at Panguitch, to Thomas Haycock, s. of Joseph & Elizabeth (Baugh) Haycock. He was b. 28 Feb. 1859, Walshwood, Staffordshire, England [end. 28 Feb. 1879]. After Myra d. he married a second time and had a large family; at one time he was sheriff of Garfield Co. and was a very efficient man in the position. [Myra was bapt. 1874, end. 28 Feb. 1879, H. ?]

      Myra died of black smallpox. She contracted the disease at the time the Indian boy (Sylvester or “Vet”) whom her father had reared came down with the disease. Smallpox was such a dreaded and almost fatal disease in those days and the townspeople greatly feared it. The Henrie home was blockaded and not a person, team wagon, or living thing was allowed to pass by the place. They even thought the germs would lodge in the forks of the trees and infect people years later. The family was required to burn the wagon and harness that the coffin was placed in to haul the body of Myra to her burial. She was bur. in a far corner of the lot, as the family was not permitted to bury her in the cemetery. The Indian boy also died. Several of the family also had the disease but passed through it and lived to tell the story.

      After the family had recovered from the siege, they had to burn almost everything they owned, clothing, bedding, feather beds that were almost price less, and even the floors and casings were torn out and burned. A man who had previously had the plague thought it a shame to burn all those lovely feather beds and took one. He tied it by the four corners, high up in the barn in front of an opening where the sun and wind circulated around it freely and later used it in his home without contamination. He was the nurse for the entire family.

      Thomas and Myra (Henrie) Haycock had 1 child:

1.       Thomas James Haycock, b. 22 Feb. 1882, Panguitch; m. Annie May Lee. m. (2) Betsy Ann Benson.


      THOMAS JAMES HAYCOCK, b. 22 Feb. 1882 [bapt.; end. abt. 6 Feb. 1906], d 1930s, near Enterprise, Washington Co., Utah, and was bur. 30 Apr. at Parowan, Utah. He d. of a heart attack while at the sheep herd and was found at the camp the next day, lying beside his wagon with the sheep dog standing guard over him.

      He m. (1) 22 Feb. 1901, Panguitch, to Annie May Lee, dau. of Samuel Gulley & Rebecca Ann (Alexander) Lee. She was b. 11 Mar. 1881, Panguitch [end. & H. abt. 6 Feb. 1906]; d. of Brights Disease, 9 July 1906, Panguitch, and bur. there 11 July. [p. 224]

      Thomas James Haycock m. (2) 2 Sept. 1908, Manti (L.D.S. Temple), to Betsy Ann Benson, dau. of John & Mary Alice (Clingensmith) Benson. She was b. 7 Aug. 1884, Parowan, Utah [end. & H. 2 Sept. 1908], d. 1950s, Parowan, and bur. there 1 June.

      Betsy attended the Agricultural College at Cedar City, Utah, and then taught school for 2 years at Panguitch, Utah, where she was very successful and well liked by her students. She was an able seamstress and did a great deal of dress making for her family and friends. All kinds of needle work were excellently done by her skillful hands. She was a good practical nurse among her friends and anyone who needed her services. She never tired of doing good to her fellowmen.

      The sad death of her husband was a blow from which she never fully recovered. She had a series of operations for the removal of a lung, with the hope that her health would improve, but she was never a well woman again. She died at her son Benson’s home. He and his wife gave her the best of care and she appreciated them very much. Her other two living children were not so close by to share in her love and help. Her children and grandchildren were the joy of her life, and she loved to do all she possibly could for them. She truly was a noble and much loved woman.

      Thomas James & Annie May (Lee) Haycock had 2 children, b. in Panguitch:

1.       Myra Haycock, b. 7 Feb, 1902; m, Widen Adams.

2.       Sylvia Ann Haycock, b. 22 Jan. 1904; m. Stanley LeFevre

      Thomas James & Betsy Ann (Benson) Haycock had 4 children:

1.       Mary Haycock, b. 23 Dec. 1909-10, Panguitch, Utah, m. (1) Alvin J. Dobrusky, on 17 May 1929, Parowan, Utah. He was b. 3 June 1901, Dwight, Butler Co., Neb., s. of Emanwell & Bessie (Pushwough) Dobrusky, a non-member of the L.D.S. Church. They had 4 children:

(1)       Eloise or Heloise Dobrusky, b. 1920s, Cedar City, Utah; m. Elwood Orton Page.

(2)       Bessie Ann Dobrusky, b. 1930s, Parowan, Utah.

(3)       Joseph True Dobrusky, b. 1930s, Parowan.

(4)       Thomas Dobrusky.

2       Donald Benson Haycock, b. 1910s, Parowan; m. Alice Mitchell

3.       Thomas James Haycock Jr., b. 1910s, Parowan; m. Minnie Miller.

4.       Joseph True Haycock, b. 1920s, Parowan, d. 1920s. [p. 225]


      MYRA HAYCOCK, eldest child of Thomas James & Annie May (Lee) Haycock, was b. 7 Feb, 1902, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1910s, end. & S to H. 28 May 1928, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple)]; m. 1920s, Junction, Piute Co Utah, to Widen Hyrum Adams, s. of George John & Temperance May (Evans) Adams. He was b. 27 Mar. 1902, Provo Bench, now Orem, Utah [bapt. 1910s, end. 1920s]. They had 4 children:

1.       Thomas Widen Adams, b. 1920s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1930s, end. 1940s, P. 1928]; m. 1940s, Butte, Mont., to Josephine Verbanatz, dau. of Peter Paul & Marjorie Sarah (Home) Verbanatz. She was b. 1920s, Butte, Mont. [bapt.; end. & H. 1940s].

            Thomas joined the U.S. Navy 1941 and had his first training at San Diego, Calif. He was then assigned to the target ship U.S.S. Utah while she was in dry dock at Bremerton, Wash. After the Utah was sunk at Pearl Harbor, he volunteered for the Honolulu, a light cruiser Duty on the Honolulu was from 1941-1944. He was then transferred to an Officers’ School V-12 program at Colorado Springs and then to the Montana School of Mines at Butte. While there he met an married Josephine. She was born in Butte but when a small girl went with her parents to Detroit, where she received her early schooling. After the death of her father the family returned to Butte. She received a scholarship to a business college; later she obtained office employment at the Safeway Store and worked there until she m. Widen. They had 3 children:

(1)       Linda Carol Adams, b. 1940s, Butte [ P. 1940s].

(2)       Susan Lee Adams, b. 1940s, Provo, Utah.

(3)       Terry Widen Adams, b. 1940s, Provo.

2.       Garth Earl Adams, b. 1920s, Provo Bench [bapt. 1930s, end. 1940s, P. 1928]; m. 1940s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to Joy Wendolyn Hill, dau. of C. E. & Hermoine (Jackson) Hill. She was b. 1920s, Roosevelt, Utah [bapt. 1930s, end. 1940s, H. 1940s]. They had children, all b. in Provo, Utah:

(1)       Cherie Jean Adams, b. 1940s.

(2)       Kenneth Earl Adams, b. 1940s.

(3)       Richard Craig Adams, b. 1950s.

(4)       Val Reed Adams, b. 1950s.

3.       Wilford George Adams, b. 1920s, Provo, Utah [bapt. 1930s, end. 1940s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), P. 1928]; m 1940s, San Francisco, Calif., to Mae Vonne Woolsey, dau. of James Emil & Sarah Verda (Ahlstrom) Woolsey. She was b. 1920s, Tropic, Utah [bapt.; end. & S to H. 26 June 1946]. [p. 226]

      Wilford George Adams, after completing high school, helped an uncle in automobile mechanics work. Later he worked for the Union Pacific Railroad for 8 months. He then volunteered to join the U.S. Navy, Apr. 1945. After boot training at an Idaho Naval Station, he was transferred to Treasure Island, San Francisco, where he was assigned to the ship U.S.S. Lyra A.K. 101, a Kaiser built cargo ship, and spent the next 2 years traveling to nearly all parts of the South Pacific. He returned to his home and family after being discharged at Shoemaker, Calif. He m. Mae during the war. She was an active church worker, serving in the Primary as teacher and organist. They now reside at Orem, Utah. They had 3 children, all b. in Provo:

(1)       Sydine Rose Adams, b. 1940s.

(2)       Tamara Lyn Adams, b. 1940s.

(3)       Jeffery Lane Adams, b. 1950s.

4.       Betty Rae Adams, 4th child of Elden Hyrum & Myra (Haycock) Adams, was b. 1920s, Orem, Utah, d. Apr. 1928 [S .to P. 1928] .


      SYLVIA ANN HAYCOCK, 2nd child of Thomas James & Annie May (Lee) Haycock, was b. 22 Jan. 1904, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1920s]; m. 1920s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple), to Stanley LeFevre, s. of Luke Dalton & Julia Ann (Orton) LeFevre. He was b. 17 July 1897, Orton, Garfield Co. Utah (a small community 10 miles north of Panguitch, no longer called Orton) [bapt.; end. July 1919 for a mission for the church]. After having a very large family, they separated [she received a temple divorce from him]. They had 12 children:

1.       Stanley Dent LeFevre, b. 1920s, Spry, Utah [bapt. 1930s].

2.       Luke Conrad LeFevre, b. 1920s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. abt. age 8]; m. 1950s, to Ruby Merlene Long, who was b. 1930s. They had 1 child:

(1)       Michael Dent LeFevre, b. 1950s, Provo.

3.       Gloria Mae LeFevre, b. 1920s, Garfield, Utah [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, Spanish Fork, Utah, to Robert Beryle Whaley, s. of Thomas Henery & Frannie Marie (Slinker) Whaley. He was b. 1920s, Greybull, Big Horn Co., Wyo. [bapt, 1940s]. They had 4 children, b. in Provo, Utah:

(1)       Robert Craig Whaley, b. 1940s.

(2)       Stanley Dale Whaley, b. 1940s.

(3)       Thomas Danny Whaley, b. 1940s.

(4)       Marie Elaine Whaley, b. 1940s. [p. 227]

4.       Harold Alma LeFevre, 4th child of Stanley & Sylvia Ann (Haycock) LeFevre, was b. 1920s, Spry, Utah [bapt. 1930s]; m. Edith Lorene Kelley.

5.       Myra Joy LeFevre, b. 1930s, Spry, Utah [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, Orem, Utah, to Donald James Anderson, s. of Charles Anderson, He was b. 1920s, Salt Lake City, Utah. They had 3 children:

(1)       Donald L. Anderson, b. 1940s, Provo, Utah.

(2)       Myron J. Anderson, b. 1950s, Provo.

(3)       Charles Spencer Anderson, b. 1950s, Los Angeles, Calif.

6.       Thomas Grant LeFevre, b. 1930s, Spry, Utah [bapt. 1940s] m. 1940s, Pocatello, Idaho, to Jennie Lee Bird, dau. of Walter D. & Dortha (Gordon) Bird. She was b. 1930s, Salina, Utah.

7.       Julia Carroll LeFevre, b. 1930s, Spry, Utah, d. 1940s

8.       Sylvia Gwen LeFevre, b. 1930s, Spry [bapt. 1940s].

9.       Sterling George LeFevre, b. 1930s, Spry [bapt. 1940s]. 10. Melody Kathleen LeFevre, b. 1940s, Spry [bapt. 1940s] . 11. Golden Kimball LeFevre, b. 1940s, Spry [bapt. 1950s] . 12. Jeannie Marie LeFevre, b. 1940s, Payson, Utah [bapt. 1952].


      DONALD BENSON HAYCOCK, 2nd child of Thomas James & Betsy Ann (Benson) Haycock, was b. 1910s, Parowan, Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. 1930s]; m. 1930s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple), to Alice Mitchell, dau. Of Scott & Bertha (Whitney) Mitchell. She was b. 1910s, Parowan, Utah [bapt.; end. & H 1930s].

      Benson and Alice completed high school the same year, at Parowan, and were married the following fall. Since the 1932 depression was in full swing and work was scarce they were advised not to marry at that time. Benson worked on a thresher and was paid in grain, which was traded for the first basket of groceries. Alice used her talent for hair dressing to swell the family finances. Then, unfortunately for Benson, a horse fell on him, breaking his foot, which kept him from work for several weeks. Later he was employed in government C.C.C. work.

      About 1938 they moved to Provo. He had learned the meat cutting trade and was given a good job there. In 1940 they built a home in Orem and lived there until he was drafted in World War II, 1944. Alice, with her two boys, [p. 228] moved back to Parowan to live with her folks. After the war they returned to Provo for a short while, then moved back to Parowan. Benson bought a truck and is engaged in the trucking business.

      Alice has served as organist of the Stake Relief Society and Stake Primary, also organist of Ward Primary, counselor in Ward Relief Society, president of Ward Primary, has been a member of a Ladies Chorus, and has been active in P.T.A.

      Donald Benson & Alice (Mitchell) Haycock had 6 children:

1.       Sandra Haycock, b. 1930s, Cedar City, Utah, d. 1930s.

2.       Donald M. Haycock, b. 1930s, Parowan, Utah [bapt. 1940s]. Has worked summers at Bryce Canyon.

3.       Scott M. Haycock, b. 1930s, Parowan [bapt. 1940s]. Interested in high school athletics.

4.       Helen Christa Haycock, b. 1940s, Cedar City [bapt. 1950s].

5.       Larry M. Haycock, b. 1940s, Cedar City.

6.       Colleen Haycock, b. 1950s, Cedar City.


      THOMAS JAMES HAYCOCK JR., 3rd child of Thomas James & Betsy Ann (Benson) Haycock, was b. 1910s, Parowan, Iron Co., Utah [bapt. 1920s]; m, 1940s, in Pennsylvania, to Minnie Ann Miller [bapt. 1950s].

      After graduating from Parowan High School, he took advantage of a small scholarship to Branch Agricultural College at Cedar City, for 2 winters. To help him complete that schooling, his mother rented her home in Parowan and the two moved into a one-room apartment in Cedar City. In addition to the one room, they had the use of a bath and large screen porch with a family of five. He slept on the porch and well remembers the winter mornings when he would awaken to find sometimes several inches of snow on his bed, but he did not mind it. To make the ends meet more easily, he worked at the J.C. Penney Store each evening and Saturdays during the summers they were there.

      After graduating from the B.A.C. he entered the University of Utah. This was the move he had been contemplating since he was a youngster in grade school. He had a small scholarship the first year. The first two winters at the U. of U. he worked in a boarding house of 18 boys. He was busy from 6 00 A.M. until class time serving breakfast and clearing up after it. Evenings were busy until 7:00; then he would study until 12:00 and sometimes 2:00 A.M. The third winter he worked for a family, which was more pleasant and much easier than the boarding house. One phase of this work included taking their youngest son and the neighborhood’s youngsters skiing each suitable weekend.

      The summer vacation of 1939 he spent driving a bus for the Utah Parks Co through the scenic areas of Southern Utah. The following summer, 1940, was spent with a Forest Service road crew in the Uinta Mountains. [p. 229]

      He graduated from the University of Utah in 1941, with a B.A. degree in Chemistry. He left the next day for the East Coast. There he contacted the Hercules Powder Co. at Wilmington, Delaware, and was hired pretty much on the spot. After working for them one month in their experimental station at Wilmington, he was transferred to a smokeless powder plant at Belvidere, N.J. This plant was being operated for the British Government and was producing powders for small cannons, machine guns, and rifles. He worked a few months in the analytical control laboratory, a year in the safety department, and 6 months in the production development group. From then until Feb. 1944 he was production shift supervisor, actually in charge Or the production of powder.

      The Belvidere plant closed and he was transferred to the Radford Ordnance Works, Radford, Va. A month later he returned to Pennsylvania and married Minnie Anna Miller, whom he met over the telephone during the midnight to 8:00 A.M. shift. She was the plant operator and visited with the personnel. She had 3 sons by a former marriage. When school was out she and the boys moved to Va. for a time, then they returned to Penn.

      Thomas left Hercules Oct. 1945 to work for the Carbide and Carbon Chemical operation at Oak Ridge, Tenn., in the Atomic Energy plant called K-25. He was transferred to the Manhattan Engineer District U.S. Corps of Engineers, working again for the government. This District was the group which became the Atomic Commission when it was formed in Jan. 1947.

      He was placed in the SF Accountability Branch. The responsibility in general was to maintain control of all the Source and Fissionable (SF) materials charged to the Oak Ridge Operations Office. The job was unique in that it had no comparable counterpart in normal industry. It involved a knowledge of the chemistry of these new elements, nuclear physics, and accounting.

      In Oct. 1949 he was transferred from the Oak Ridge Operations Office of the Atomic Energy Commission to Santa Fe Operations Office. The work remained essentially the same, but the security and responsibility increased because he was now dealing with finished atomic weapons. Oct. 1951 the Santa Fe Operations moved headquarters to Albuquerque, New Mex. Here they purchased a home, which they aim to keep even if other moves are in the future.

      Minnie was in charge of the Admission Office at the Los Alamos Medical Center for approximately a year while they lived there. She began to work for the Atomic Energy Commission in July 1951 and has been with them since. She is in charge of the classified mail and records room.

      Thomas James Haycock Jr. has adopted the 3 sons of Minnie Anna Miller by her former marriage. He feels sure that they will join the L.D.S. Church when they are out of the service:

1.       John Edwin Miller Haycock, b. 1930s, Nazareth, Penn.; m. Florence Schoonover. They had 1 child:

(1)       Jeffrey Romaine Haycock.

2.       Glen Miller Haycock, b. 1930s, Lower Mt. Bethel Twsp., Penn.; has been in Navy since May 1951, serving on the destroyer U.S.S. Pritchett; has completed a trip around the world; Petty Officer 3/C.

3.       Robert Bud Miller Haycock, b. 1930s, Lower Mt. Bethel Twsp., Penn.; joined Marines in Mar. 1952; presently in Korea, 1st Marine Div. [p. 230]