Chapter XX
Jeddie Nephi Henrie

      JEDDIE NEPHI HENRIE, 8th child of James & Christena (Schow) Henrie, was b. 24 Feb. 1881, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 14 July 1889, end. 1910s]; m. 1910s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to Hilda Vilate Prince, dau. of William & Louisa Evaline (Lee) Prince. She was b. 11 Dec. 1886, Panguitch [bapt. 24 May 1896, end. 1908, H. 1910s]. Jeddie Nephi d. 1920s, Panguitch, and bur. there 4 Mar. Hilda m. (2) James P. Cameron, as his second wife.

      Jeddie Nephi Henrie received his early education in the schools of Panguitch. He attended the Branch Agricultural College at Cedar City for 3 years, and then had two years at the University of Utah. He was successful as a business and sheep man and farmer.

      He did not seek nor desire public office nor church positions. When a call came for him to serve as Bishop of the Panguitch South Ward, he was reluctant to accept. For many days he tried to elude this responsibility, and at times it seemed that he could not assume such. He felt that he was not worthy nor capable, but after careful consideration he did accept it. This added a blessing to his life and to the lives of his family. Each one strove to live a better life, and the influence of his calling became magnified in his home. He served in this capacity for several years. After his release, he was promoted to counselor to Stake President William J. Henderson and served in that capacity for a long time. He also served a term as County Sheriff.

      Feb. 28, 1929, after returning from a party with his wife and friends, he was struck with appendicitis. An operation was performed the following day. Complications set in and nothing could be done to stay the hand of death. For days friends and neighbors stood in the yard of his home, waiting for word of his condition, and all were much saddened when the word came that he had passed away.

      He was an even-tempered man, gentle and considerate, and kind to young and old–always busy but never hurried. He was held in the highest esteem by his friends and townspeople.

      Sketch of his wife, Hilda Vilate Prince:

      Hilda’s childhood held many charms and few hardships. Her parents were tender, loving, and kind; and though they required their children to do certain amount of work, they provided them with ample leisure time also. They owned a large ranch at Panguitch Lake and here she spent her summers with the family.

      Memories still linger of those happy, carefree days, of roaming over the hills and meadows, gathering wild flowers, pine gum, pebbles from the streams, [p. 267] wild hops from the high steep cliffs, and the sweet, tender water cress that grew in the spring creek. This was so good to eat with her mother’s fresh bread and butter and served as a green vegetable three times a day and almost every day.

      The vigorous exercise of rowing on the lake, running the calves during the milking, riding horses, and climbing trees, made her a very healthy young individual. Her pony, a beautiful bay gelding, was always near when she wanted to visit the other girls who lived at various distances around the lake.

      On occasions such as the 4th and 24th of July, outings were held; and all the neighbors for miles around would gather at some beautiful spot such as Blue Spring, Twin Lakes, Ipsons, and Parowan Canyons. There they would enjoy feasting and play, dancing, rowing, wading, swimming, and other recreations.

      She was 14 years of age when she finished grade school. She had a strong desire to attend high school, but there was none at home in Panguitch. She persuaded her father and mother to go to Beaver with her, and registered at the Murdock Academy, located at Old Ft. Cameron.

      The rules at Murdock Academy were strict, but the students played pranks, broke the rules, and forgot their lessons at times. Some of the deepest impressions of true womanhood were instilled in her through the tutorship of such men and women as Principal A. B. Anderson, Reinhard Maeser, Alfred Durham Mamie Ollerton, and Pearl Adams.

      The next year Hilda’s folks were unable to provide the money for her schooling, so she hired $50 from an old friend of her father’s, which provided the cash needed; and with produce from home, she was able to go through her second year there.

      The following spring she again hired money to pay her way to the University of Utah for six weeks of summer school. Upon completion of the term she returned home and went to a neighboring town of Tropic to take the teacher’s examination, which if passed successfully would entitle her to teach school in the grace e. She does not remember how she passed through that period–she only knows she received a certificate. A fever was at its height before she started home. Long will she remember that ride in a white- topped buggy, over rough mountain roads, with a bursting headache and fever-parched lips. Upon arriving home she went to bed, there to remain for many long weeks, racked with typhoid fever, delirium, and little hope of recovery.

      Prior to this illness she had signed a contract to teach the second grade at Panguitch. As school started before she was well enough to go into the classroom, the trustees hired a cousin to substitute for her for a month. She taught at home for two years.

      During the second year of her teaching, she received a call to go on a mission to the Central States, with headquarters at Independence, Mo. Her father was ill at the time and was not in favor of her going, but upon further consideration said for her to go and he would raise the money to keep her there. [p. 268]

      On August 20, 1908, she went to Salt Lake City and received her blessings preparatory to departure. She met her companion, Ellice Woodruff, a lovely and sincere girl. They left Salt Lake to begin new and strange experiences.

      A few hours after her arrival at mission headquarters, she was informed that she had been appointed to labor in St. Louis and would leave on the next train, alone. It was with much misgiving and fear that she began the journey as her knowledge of travel and the customs of new people was limited. The fear of being lost in the crowds of a large city was appalling. After 72 hours she arrived at Union Station, tired and travel stained, bewildered by the throngs of people hurring through the Station. Never before had she prayed so earnestly for guidance. Suddenly, and to her astonishment and joys the crowd began to part and there alone stood Elder Marion Henrie (who afterward became her brother-in-law ) He was from Panguitch also. When she asked if he had been sent to meet her, he said, “No, I do not know why I came, but all day long instead of being contented with my work, something kept urging me to go to the Union Station. I know now why I am here.” At headquarters she met her new companion, Phebe Harding, from whom she found comfort and guidance as she was older and had had some missionary experience.

      One time while she was standing on the bank of the Missouri River with a companion and President Bennion, he warned them to take no chances on the river because thousands of evil spirits lurked there to destroy the Saints as in the early days of the Church. He suddenly pulled them from the bank just as it caved off. Where they had a moment before been standing, there was a large hole and black, muddy water swirled round and round. “Now you know what I mean,” he said. “Something caused me to suddenly pull you back. Always heed the promptings given to you by the spirit.”

      At Louisiana, Mo., she had her first experience of holding a street meeting. The word went out that Mormon women were in town and everywhere they went crowds stared at them and a few jeered; they were objects of curiosity.

      For nearly two years she worked hard to promote the work of that mission, but her work was very satisfying. For a while she was assigned to work in the Liahona Office, where the church magazine was published. She remained here until her release to return home. Arriving in Salt Lake City 8 April 1910, she remained for April Conference. As she had come home earlier than expected and had not notified her parents, her return was somewhat of a surprise.

      Soon after her return home, she married Jed Henrie in the Salt Lake Temple, with Rudger Clawson officiating. Her first missionary companion, Ellice Woodruff, entertained them royally while they stayed in Salt Lake. One outstanding event was at the home of Apostle George Albert Smith–his wife was a sister of Ellice and she had made her home with them.

      They set up housekeeping in two rooms of Jed’s mother’s home and here their first two children were born. They made plans for a home of their own, and two weeks after Veda was born they moved in, and what an eventful day it was. Everything was so modern and lovely; electricity and running water, hot and cold, were a great contrast to the kerosene lamps and well-drawn water they had been used to. Here their other children were born. [p. 269]

      After her husband’ a brother John Nathaniel Henrie died, leaving a family of orphaned children, she took the baby boy, Nyal, and cared for him as her own. He made his home with them until his marriage. Hilda always felt toward him a very tender love and tried -with all her might to be a mother to him. Not many months after Nyal came, DuWayne, the second son of John Nathaniel, came to pay them a visit. He seemed very lonely and sad. He was then living with his step-mother, but was unhappy there, Hilda told him he could have a home with them as long as he cared to, and without further delay he moved in that afternoon. Thus, within a very short time, their family increased. Not many weeks after, a new baby arrived.

      Hilda found great joy in caring for her feeble mother and father. For several years after Jed’s death, Hilda spent a great deal of time between her parent’s home and her own, caring for her mother and father as best she could and making their last days as comfortable as possible. The service she rendered to them was among her sweetest memories and she felt it was in no way half sufficient to repay them for what they had done for her.

      While rearing her family, Hilda found time to work in the auxiliaries of the Church. For 10 years she served on the Primary Stake Board. She was president of the South Ward Y.L.M.I.A. for a number of years.

      Jed Henrie, at the time of his death, left the family well provided for under normal circumstances. However, financial reverses came, and in the fall of 1929 a depression swept the country which beset the family in indebtedness. Stock had been valuable, but now they were almost worthless. Banks were liquidated, mortgages foreclosed, and money was not available anywhere.

      After five years of worry and strain, bankruptcy stared Hilda in the face. In 1935 a hope seemed to be that a turn for the better had come, but by October of that year a very decided slump in practically all industry came, especially in livestock and farming. Foreclosure was inevitable. The sheep were driven away for the paltry sum of $5.00 per head for ewes that were listed as some of the county’s best and which were worth many times that price. So ended a once worthy and profitable business, but not so the indebtedness. The proceeds from the sale of the sheep were insufficient to pay the bills. The loan company did not live up to the agreement and take the permit and range land, but left her no way to ever pay the taxes on the land (some 2700 acres of patent ground and a forest permit for 2000 head of sheep). She later made a trade with Thomas Sevy for a ranch in exchange for her range permit, and felt fortunate to salvage that much from the financial wreck,

      In 1934 she married James P. Cameron. He had lost his wife ten years previously. All his children were married but Effie, his youngest daughter. Only Nedra, her oldest child, had married. The depression was bad still, but Jim was a hard worker. Even though they were unable to sell anything and money was almost unheard of, they managed with what they had on hand and with what he earned as a plumber and heating engineer. Soon three of Hilda’s sons were drafted into the service.

      It was not too many years before all their children were married and they found themselves alone They were called to fill a mission in California. In December 1946 they registered for class work at the mission home and were assigned to stay at Hotel Utah during the training course. This was an inspirational time and experience never to be forgotten. [p. 270]

      While at the hotel Hilda had the misfortune of running the head of a large needle into her toe. Infection set in and made it look as though they would not be permitted to go on. She received treatment from a physician and by wearing a house slipper and keeping hot packs on her foot, they were able to go on schedule. When the pain became too severe, they would atop the car, and apply packs till the pain subsided sufficiently to permit then to continue with the journey. Accompanying them in their car were Elder and Sister Carpenter of Kansas, who were also assigned to the Northern California Mission.

      They spent Christmas with Jim’s daughter, Claris, at Manteca, and organized a Sunday School. They did not lose a day from the time they arrived at his place. Jim was soon made district president. They did not do tracting from then on, but traveled in their car from one locality to another, helping the missionaries organize, etc. After serving 7½ months they were released, President Ellsworth adding a clause that they were to go home and arrange heir affairs and finances so they could return to fill enough time to make the mission a two-year one. This they intended to do.

      They arrived home to a happy family and found Ellice was expecting a baby. Her little son Ralph did not seem to walk as he should. Upon consulting a physician it was found that his hip was out of joint. A heavy cast was placed on both legs and hips. As he was a large child and the cast was heavy, needed much care, which Hilda took over as Ellice was unable to do so. By fall Hilda became very ill but said nothing, and in the latter part of December she broke down completely with heart ailment. This was due to a virus infection she no doubt contracted in California.

      For five months her life was despaired of. The children were summoned to her bedside. But her mission was not yet complete and she recovered. In a weakened condition, she was advised by the doctor to go to a lower altitude. They decided to spend a few months working in the St. George Temple and then go to San Diego for a while and on to San Francisco to finish out the two-year mission. (President Ellsworth was to have them recalled.)

      These plans were interrupted by a call from President Harold B. Snow, the St. George Temple, for them to be officiators there for two years. This call was accepted but not without some disappointment that their other plans had not been completed. Their duties began in the Temple 17 July 1950.

      During the two years in St. George they built a home and moved into it. In 1951 Ernest Reber, 1st counselor to President Snow, died. At his funeral service Hilda heard some one say, “I wonder who will take his place?” She knew immediately it would be Jim. She tried to banish the thought but it lingered with her. She did a bit of urging to get him to finish the few details of the home and to hire some help to do it. She asked him one day if he would accept a call back to the Temple, to which he answered: “Why ask that, we have been released, and that’s that.” One day soon after this conversation, President Snow knocked at their door and inquired for Jim. When he told him he was working on the home, he said, “Come go with me to find him.” Hilda knew what his message would be. When President Snow handed him letter from the First Presidency, he turned pale but willingly accepted the position of counselor. Turning to Hilda, he said, “Have you known this all he time?” He was set apart by President George Albert Smith. She was set apart by President Snow. [p. 271]

      Soon after this appointment they sold their home in Panguitch and had their ward membership transferred to the let Ward of St. George Stake. By working at the Temple they found comfort, joy, and satisfaction in life. They made many fine friends there.

      Thus was the promise fulfilled that her mother made the Lord at the time of Hilda’s typhoid illness, that if He would spare her life, her mother would dedicate Hilda’s life to His service. There has scarcely been a day since that time that she has not been in the work of the Church in one capacity or another. The Lord knows the course we should pursue and lends a guiding hand to help us fulfill our destiny if we but heed the inspiration given to us when we are tuned to His Spirit.

      With the many activities she has had, since her last illness, and as a means of rest and relaxation, she has taken up painting and writing poetry as a hobby, She has had two short poems accepted for publication in the Relief Society Magazine, and one in the third volume of Utah Sings, a book of poetry by Utah writers. This is one of her last poems, to be published in the future in the Magazines


It must be spring

For my honeysuckle vine

Is splotched with pastel beauty

Like a lovely valentine.

And at dawn this morning

I heard a robin sing.

Although chilly winds torment me, yet,

I know it must be spring.

      Jeddie Nephi and Hilda Vilate (Prince) Henrie had 9 children, all b. in Panguitch, Utah:

1.       Nedra Henrie, b. 1910s; m. Daniel Asay Tebbs.

2.       Veda Henrie, b. 1910s, d. 1910s.

3.       J. Carvel Henrie, b. 1910s; m. Shirley Tebbs.

4.       Vira Henrie, b. 1910s; m. Fredrick Eldredge Johnson.

5.       Konroy Henrie, b. 1910s; m. Cleo Allen.

6.       Frank H. Henrie, b. 1920s; m. Lola Barney.

7.       Lowell V. Henrie, b. 1920s; m. Alice Riding.

8.       Ellice Henrie, b. 1920s; m. Howard Grant Whitney.

9.       Lucile Henrie, b. 1920s; m. Alfred Doyle Fullmer. [p. 272]


      NEDRA HENRIE, eldest child of Jeddie Nephi & Hilda Vilate (Prince) Henrie, as b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1930s]; m. 1930s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to Daniel Asay Tebbs, s, of Burnes Fielding & Ruth (Asay) Tebbs. He was b. 24 May 1908, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s, end. 1930s].

      Nedra graduated from Panguitch High School and attended one year at Utah State Agricultural College. She worked as stenographer and clerk for Telluride Power Co. at Panguitch for 1 ½ years and then was promoted to the District Office at Richfield, Utah, where she worked for about 2 years. She was given one month’s vacation in which to get married to Dan; spent their honeymoon at the World Fair in Chicago. She returned to her job and Dan went to the sheepherd for the winter. After resigning her position with Telluride in the spring, she and Dan spent the summer at the ranch near Panguitch Lake, where they milked cows and shipped the thick cream (for 50¢ a gallon). Later they made cheese and the local stores took all they had to sell. In November 1934 they moved to Salt Lake City where Dan attended Heneger Business College and worked for a trucking company for 1½ years.

      In 1937 they returned to Panguitch and built their own business of ranching and raising livestock. They lived at the ranch in the summer and in town in the winter. On the ranch they built a four-room house, which burned to the ground in the fall of 1942, destroying everything in it including a cheese room full of cheese and cheese making equipment, and a year’s supply of groceries they had exchanged for cheese. That ended their ranching other than raising livestock.

      Dan was educated in Panguitch, attended one year at South East High School in Salt Lake City, and two years at University of Utah. Because of illness of his father, he returned to Panguitch to operate his father’s business, livestock raising and ranching. He has served in the M.I.A.; has been counselor to the Bishop; was made Bishop 24 August 1947, having been ordained by Elder Henry D. Moyle. During the six year period he served as Bishop the chapel was renovated and redecorated, the Social Hall (belonging to Panguitch North and South Wards) was remodeled and decorated, the South card bought and operated a 178 acre welfare farm, and bought 100 head of sheep to fill their assignment of wool. After his release as Bishop in 1953 he was appointed High Councilman.

      Nedra has worked in the Primary and Sunday School; has been teacher of he Literary Lessons in Relief Society for four years.

      Nedra and Dan have traveled extensively. They now own their own home, ranch, cattle, sheep, and range, and have just built and opened the Panguitch Dairy Queen. They sell all kinds of ice cream, soft drinks, and sandwiches. They had 6 children:

1.       Veda Tebbs, b. 1930s, Salt Lake City [bapt. 1940s]

2.       J. Daniel Tebbs, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s].

3.       Janice Tebbs, b. 1940s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s]. [p. 273]

4.       Victor Louis Tebbs, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

5.       Hilda Joyce Tebbs, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

6.       Lucinda Ruth Tebbs, b. 1950s, Panguitch.


      J. CARVEL HENRIE, 3rd child of Jeddie Nephi & Hilda Vilate (Prince) Henrie, wan b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end. 1930s]; m. 1930s, Panguitch, to Shirley Tebbs, dau. of Earl C. & Eva Melinda (Proctor) Tebbs. She was b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end. & H. 1930s in St, George L.D.S. Temple].

      His father died when he was only 13 years of age, and much of the responsibility of helping his mother with the other children fell to his lot. He assumed greater responsibilities as he grew and matured. He finished High School in Panguitch and engaged in raising livestock, farming, and ranching. During the war he sold his share of his mother’s farm to his brother Frank. He leased a garage and became a mechanic, at which work he is still engaged.

      Carvel is a quiet, retiring young man, a very good citizen and booster for his home town. He served as a director of the West Panguitch Irrigation Co., a member of the Jr. Chamber of Commerce and Lions Club, and has been a director of the Boy Scouts. He played on the High School team with honors; likes sports. He and his wife work unitedly together and have a fine family. She is employed as receptionist at the Panguitch L.D.S. Hospital. They had 3 children, b. in Panguitch:

1.       Earl Carvel Henrie, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s, P. 1930s].

2.       Shirley Kae Henrie, b. 1930s bapt. 1940s].

3.       Roger Paul Henrie, b 1940s.


      VIRA HENRIE, 4th child of Jeddie Nephi & Hilda Vilate (Prince) Henrie, was b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt, 1920s, end. & H. 1930s]; m. 1930s, Manti L.D.S. Temple), to Fredrick Eldredge Johnson, s. of Wallace & Winifred (Eldredge) Johnson. He was b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt.; end. 1930s], d. 1950s, San Diego, Calif., and bur. there.

      After graduating from high school, Vira entered Brigham Young University as a business student. She also studied business at the University of Utah. She became a skillful typist and won all her typing credits. She worked in the school offices part-time as a typist, to help finance her education. After her marriage she continued working till her first child was born. They [p. 274] made their home in San Diego, Calif., where they purchased a laundry establishment and Vira did the bookkeeping and banking.

      Vira has been diligent in all Church affairs. Her husband was made bishop and her duties multiplied. Both and ward and stake were building a chapel and the women of the ward sponsored church suppers, bazaars, and other activities to raise money. Vira was one of the foremost in helping. She was also a member of the choir and a chorus.

      Their laundry establishment installed a new boiler, and when it was being tested it exploded, killing Eldredge and two other men. This left Vira to carry on the business and care for her home and children.

      Eldredge was a very outstanding young man, an intelligent leader in all his affairs. Throughout his life he was active in church work: was a member of the Sunday School superintendency, president of the Y.M.M.I.A., and at the time of his death was Bishop of North Park Ward, San Diego. He had a deep respect for authority and was active in defending his convictions. His was a life of service

      Vira and Eldredge had 3 children, b. in San Diego, Calif.:

1.       Eileen Mauvette Johnson, b. 1940s.

2.       Eldredge Wallace Johnson, b. 1940s.

3.       Jeddie Douglas Johnson, b. 16 Apr 1551.


      KONROY HENRIE, 5th child of Jeddie Nephi & Hilda Vilate (Prince) Henrie, was b. 1910s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. 1940s]; m. 1940s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple), to Cleo Allen, dau. of John Earl & Beulah (Crosby) Allen. She was b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s, end. & H. 1940s].

      Konroy completed high school at Panguitch and then entered Utah State Agricultural College at Logan, Utah. He was drafted into service in 1940 and Joined the Navy Air Force. He sailed to many lands and much of his time was spent in Hawaii and surrounding waters. He was an airplane mechanic and flew as shipmate’s mechanic. While he was yet serving and was stationed at San Francisco, Calif., he married Cleo Allen, a trained nurse. She worked at a large hospital in San Francisco.

      After his discharge from service, they made their home in Panguitch. Cleo again worked at her profession in the Panguitch L.D.S. Hospital. Both are active in the community and church. He has been president of the Jr. Chamber of Commerce, leader of the Boy Scouts, director in the West Panguitch Irrigation Co., and City Commissioner. His main interest has always been in resources of the country, in which line he specialized and which profession he still follows. He is also interested in livestock farming and ranching. He bought half of his mother’s ranch about half-way between Panguitch and [p. 275] Panguitch Lake and raises cattle and hay. Konroy and Cleo (Allen) Henrie had 1 child:

1.       Jeddie Bryon Henrie, b. 1940s, Panguitch, Utah.


      FRANK H. HENRIE, 6th child of Jeddie Nephi & Hilda Vilate (Prince) Henrie, was b. 1920s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1920s]; m. 1930s, to Lola Barney, dau. of Elliot Leon & Velma (Sandine) Barney. She was b. 1920s, Hatch, Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. & H. 1940s].

      He graduated from Panguitch High School and attended Brigham Young University. He discontinued school to accept a year’s work in San Diego, Calif., after which he returned to Panguitch and the farm. He was inducted into the Army in 1944. While training in Oklahoma his wife, Lola, joined him until he was sent overseas with the Army.

      While his company was camped at the foot of the Alps in Switzerland, he and his buddy went for a boat ride on one of the many beautiful lakes in that vicinity. The boat capsized and both were thrown into the water. Having heavy army boots and clothes, they came near drowning. His buddy called for him to swim to the boat, but he knew it would sink if they both were in it. His friend managed to kick a sealed oil can to him, which kept him afloat till help reached them from shore.

      He saw service in Holland, Switzerland, Germany, and other places. He had no desire to be anything but a private first class soldier and to serve his country well. He was discharged with honors for faithful service, and returned home to continue his farming and livestock raising.

      Frank and some other veterans operate a saw mill and produce lumber for their homes and for improvements on their farms. Ha is actively engaged in Church and community projects. He loves sports, particularly basket ball. Lola is a lovely housekeeper and homemaker and devoted to her husband and children. They had 4 children:

1.       Kathleen Henrie, b. 1940s, Richfield, Utah

2.       Coleen Henrie, b. 1940s, Panguitch, Utah.

3.       Patricia Ann Henrie, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

4.       Steven Frank Henrie, b. 1940s, Panguitch.


      LOWELL V. HENRIE, 7th child of Jeddie Nephi & Hilda Vilate (Prince) Henrie, was b. 1920s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1930s, end. 1940s]; m. 1940s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple) to Alice Riding. [p. 276] Alice Riding, dau. of Jed A. & Alice Edith (Stevens) Riding, was b. 1920s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1930s, end. & H. 1940s].

      Not being privileged to attend college, Lowell went to San Diego, Calif., and found work in the Bank of America. He was drafted into service in 1944, in the Navy. After his initial training at San Diego, he was assigned to different ships and spent his entire time on one or another for the duration of his enlistment. Very little time was spent on land. He was not in combat at any time during the war.

      On his return from service, he engaged in farming and cattle raising. He enjoyed Boy Scout work and was made clerk of his ward. His wife has been a thrifty, progressive person, and has loved to create beautiful things. Being a soldier’s wife was not easy, but through it all she maintained a wholesome, cheerful attitude. They had 3 children:

1.       J. Richard Henrie, b. 1940s.

2.       Lowell V. Henrie Jr., b. 1940s.

3.       Robert Va1 Henrie, b. 1950s.


      ELLICE HENRIE, 8th child of Jeddie Nephi & Hilda Vilate (Prince) Henrie, was b. 1920s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1930s, end. & H. 1940s]; m. 1940s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple), to Howard Grant Whitney, son of Ralph Emanuel & Doris Elizabeth (Nay) Whitney He was b. 1920s, Las Vegas, Nevada [bapt.; end. 1940s].

      Ellice was very active in high school; she was a member of Drum & Bugle Corps; Pep Club; Trio; took part in choruses and musicals; editor of the high school news paper “Sentinel.”

      In June 1942 she went with her parents to Las Vegas, Nevada, and worked in a defense plant during World War II. She was typist for McNeil Construction Co., Basic Magnesium. Corp., assistant clerk at Local Selectice Service Board, No. 1 Chief Clerk, Office of Price Administration at Panguitch after the family removed from Nevada.

      She married Howard while he was on a 30-day leave from the Navy after completing overseas duty. They honeymooned in Chicago and Florida. He was stationed at the Naval Air Station at Melbourne, Fla., later at Daytona Beach, Fla., and Kingsville, Texas.

      Howard entered the U.S. Navy as an Air Cadet; received his wings and was commissioned Ensign, then Lt.(J.G.). He was a dive bomber pilot, flying helldivers aboard the U.S.S. Yorktown Carrier, on duty in the South Pacific with the 3rd fleet. After 10 months of active fighting he was returned to the United States to train as a night flier pilot in Navy Hellcats. In 1944 he enrolled at Dixie College under the G.I.Bill. After graduating there, he enrolled at Utah State Agricultural College at Logan, where he graduated with [p. 277] honors, receiving a Bachelor’s Degree and a secondary teaching certificate. In all these activities Ellice shared. They have been faithful Church members and held responsible positions. They are presently located in San Diego, where he is teaching Airplane Mechanics. They had 3 children:

1.       Ralph Grant Whitney, b. 1940s, Panguitch, Utah,

2.       Lucile Whitney, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

3.       Kent Howard Whitney, b. 1950s, Delta, Utah.


      LUCILE HENRIE, 9th child of Jeddie Nephi & Hilda Vilate (Prince) Henrie, was b. 1920s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. Feb. 1935, end. 1940s & S. to H.] m. 1940s, Panguitch, to Alfred Doyle Fullmer, s. of Barlow F. & Annie Nellie (Hedquist) Fullmer. He was b. 1920s, Circleville, Utah [bapt.; end, 1940s].

      Lucile was a New Year’s Day present to the family. She attended High School in Panguitch and also in Las Vegas, Nevada, where her mother and stepfather had established a new home. The family lived there one year and returned to Panguitch, where she was employed as a telephone operator. During high school she specialized in dancing, dramatics, and music, and was a member of the student body staff.

      When World War II broke out she went to Florida and Chicago and other places with her sister Ellice, who had gone to join her service husband. She also spent a year with another sister Vira, in San Diego, Calif., and found employment in the laundry owned and operated by Vira and her husband.

      Soon after Alfred Doyle was released from the service, they were married. They made their home in Circleville, where they built a lovely home. She has ever been active in church work and has been successful in all she has undertaken to do. Alfred is a successful farmer and potato producer, an earnest hard–working young man in his every day life as also in church. They had 3 children, all b. in Panguitch, Utah:

1.       Bruce Fullmer, b. 1940s.

2.       Jerald D. Fullmer, b. 1940s.

3.       Kevin Chris Fullmer, b. 1950s. [p. 278]