Chapter XXII
Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell

      ANE MARIE HENRIE, 4th child of James & Gedske (Schow) Henrie, was b. 26 Nov. 1886, Panguitch, Garfield Co., Utah [bapt. 15 May 1895, end. & H. 7 July 1905]; m. 3 July 1905, Panguitch, to Henry George Excell, s. of Henry & Elizabeth (Austin) Excell. He was b. 16 Dec. 1884, Panguitch [bapt. 24 June 1894, end. 7 July 1905], d. 1940s, Richfield, Sevier Co., Utah, and bur. in Panguitch 30 May.

      When Ane Marie was 3 years old her parents moved to Fredonia, Coconino Co., Ariz., and her early childhood was spent there. There were 8 grades in one room with one teacher and 15 minute recitations, when she commenced schooling. Later there were two teachers with four grades to each teacher, and two rooms. When she was in the 5th grade she won a prize for being the best speller in the school. It was a beautiful bisque headed doll, which she prized very much as such dolls were not common in that day. She graduated from the 8th grade, and as there were no high schools then, she asked and received permission to take the course the second and third years.

      While she was yet in school her brother bought a guitar. He learned a few chords and taught them to her. Then they learned to chord to their singing, and had many good times singing with the other members of the family. Different groups of young people wanted to come to their home for parties and her mother preferred to have them there rather than somewhere else. Her mother joined in and sang and danced with them.

      Ane Marie had to do her share in keeping the home clean and tidy. She scoured pots and pans, knives and forks, and even scrubbed the pine board floors with sand to keep them white and clean. Soap was not always available and sand was a good substitute. The door yard was swept and sprinkled, and the family enjoyed many dances there.

      She did her share in caring for a 10 acre place they owned, raising vegetables, fruit, and other produce. She remembers an incident that happened to her mother while they lived at Fredonia. Her mother was saving the large and best melon for her tithing. The evening before she was to take it to the bishop two fellows stole it and a few days later told her it was the best melon they had ever eaten. She laughed and called them rascals and took the next best melon to the bishop.

      Ane Marie loved the wagon rides, serenades, plays, ball games, etc. The community was isolated and the people had to make their own entertainment.

      She attended Church from the time she was a very small child. Her mother did not say, “I want you to go to Church,” but, “Let us all get ready and go together.” She learned early the value of religious teaching and has profited by it all through her life. She was asked to join the choir when only 12 years of age; and when they moved to Panguitch she was a member of the choir there. She has been one of a group of girls who formed a kitchen and rhythm band. Using any kind of pan, spoon, toy bugle, triangle, etc., for instruments, they made good music. She has loved music and singing almost [p. 286] more than anything she has ever done in her life.

      Ane Marie recalls hearing her father tell about Joseph Smith, the Prophet and how the mantle fell upon Brigham Young after the death of the Prophet, and the religious principles set forth by Joseph’s teachings. Her father was well acquainted with the Prophet and could speak from first-hand knowledge. He bore his testimony to her saying, “Ane, I know that this church is true, that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God and that he sealed his testimony with his blood.” This was also a testimony to her and she has always believed and loved to work in the Church. Soon after returning to Panguitch she began teaching in the Religion Class, and the texts put out by the Church were so full of lovely stories and scriptures that she has treasured them ever since and has used them in teaching other classes and her own family.

      She married Henry just before he left to report to headquarters in Salt Lake City for a mission. He received his blessing under the hands of one of the Apostles. He was promised that if he drank any deadly poison it would not kill him. While tracting one day he asked a lady for a drink. She was gone quite some time before returning with a glass of water. He drank part of it and found it tasted slimy, so he did not drink the remainder of it. He and his companion went on tracting but had not gone far when Henry became violently ill, frothing at the mouth and vomiting. They went underneath a bridge to avoid the hot sun. His companion was a man of about 50 years of age, with a year’s missionary experience and seasoned in the work. He laid his hands upon Henry’s head and gave him a blessing. Though he was very ill and his body had swollen, he began to recover and feel better. When he was able to walk, they went on and found a place to spend the night. After a short time, and when the swelling had abated, leaving him very thin and weak, they returned to the house to show that woman she did not kill him.

      Henry was gone two years and filled a good mission. He was released in June 1907 because of his mother’s illness with pneumonia and it was not thought she could live. The family and friends were very helpful while he we, away; and with working in the post office part-time, Ane Marie was not too lonely and the time passed quickly.

      After his return from his mission, Henry went to work on the Hatchtown reservoir to earn money for a home. Later it was sold for the down payment on a farm on which they lived for 22 years. They had a hard time making the payments and worked very hard, as there was neither machinery nor livestock on the place. They worked together and bought some Jersey cows, made butter and sold cream, raised hogs, turkeys, chickens, and some sheep. Henry was a mason by trade and when not employed on the farm he built houses in and around Panguitch.

      Henry was 1st counselor in the Sunday School Superintendency for many years; he filled several appointments as stake missionary; was chairman of the Genealogical Committee; and reached the office of a High Priest before his death. He had a cheerful disposition and loved outdoor sports. He was not afraid of work and all he did was done well.

      Ane Marie has filled the offices of teacher in the different organizations of the church; has been counselor in the M.I.A.; Stake Relief Society chorister; Relief Society block teacher; Stake Missionary; member of the [p. 287] Genealogical Committee. In civic affairs she has been affiliated with the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, as 2nd Vice Captain, Chorister, and Captain.

      Henry George and Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell had 10 children, all b. in Panguitch, Utah:

1.       Ora Gedske Excell, b. 11 Oct. 1908; m. James Levi Myers.

2.       Leona Elizabeth Excell, b. 30 Dec. 1909; m. Alton H. Talbot.

3.       James Henrie Excell, b. 1910s; m. Hilma Talbot.

4.       Gean Excell, b. 1910s; m. Albert D. Sevy.

5.       Elsa Excell, b. 1910s; m. Orric Talbot.

6.       Earl E. Excell, b. 1910s; m. Donetta Hooker.

7.       Irene Excell, b. 1910s [bapt. 1920s, end. 1930s]. d. 1930s, in an auto accident.

8.       Don G. Excell, b. 1920s; m. Alta Hancock.

9.       Melvin Ballard Excell, b. 1920s.

10.       Ane Marie Excell, b. 1920s; m. Howard DeeVeater.


      ORA GEDSKE EXCELL, eldest child of Henry George & Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell, was b. 11 Oct. 1908, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1930s]; m. 1920s, Richfield, Utah, to James Levi Myers, s. of Commodore Seguine & Rebecca (Adams) Myers. He was b. 25 July 1907, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s, end. 1930s, Logan Ternple].

      Living on a farm out from Panguitch, Ora Gedske assisted with all the usual farm duties. She rode to and from school in the family white top buggy, and she, in the course of time, graduated from Panguitch High School. In her senior year she was made secretary and treasurer of the student body, a responsible position as it entailed caring for the records and finances of the school. This same year she was selected to compete in the State Cooking School at Salt Lake City, for high school students. After graduation from high school and seminary, she was employed by the Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph Co. in Panguitch, as the first night operator, holding the position for 4 years. She was active in church work as a teacher in the Primary department of Sunday School for 7 years, and also as teacher in Primary and Mutual.

      Her husband, James Levi Myers, was orphaned at the age of 17 months. He and his mother lived in Panguitch until he was 7 years of age, when his mother remarried to Otis Dickinson, of Richfield, Utah, and moved there to live. Levi stayed with them till he was 12; then he returned to Panguitch to live with his Grandmother Myers. He received his early schooling at Panguitch and [p. 288] entered High School there, Levi was very active in athletics and while a sophomore in High School he was sent to Chicago to represent the school in running; he placed sixth. He also was on the basketball team at Panguitch for 2 years. He entered the track meets at Salt Lake City for several years, always winning first place in one and two events. When he had finished High School three Colleges asked him to affiliate with them, and he chose the Utah State Agricultural College at Logan. Here he became one of the outstanding athletes of his day, from 1927 to 1931. He won the Cordon Medal for four years successively and was captain of the College track team for 2 years. On May 14 he ran the 440 yard dash with Nate Long, of the University of Utah, a rival of High School and College days. Levi won, making a Rocky Mountain Conference record of 47.8 seconds–he still holds that title. He graduated from College May 1931 with a B.S. Degree. In 1931 Levi was chosen on the United States relay team to compete with Great Britain at the Yankee Stadium at Chicago, Illinois. He was the only man running for the United States to win from his opponent. He ran in Lincoln, Nebraska; Pittsburgh, Pa.; Chicago and Denver, Colo. He was then invited to participate in the Olympics in Africa but was unable to accept the invitation because of lack of finances.

      James Levi and Ora Gedske (Excell) Myers had 4 children, all b. in Panguitch

1.       James Levi (Jimmy) Myers Jr., b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s, end. 1950s]; m. 1950s (Salt Lake L.D.S. Temple), to Judith Ann Cameron, dau. of William Judd & Nancy Hope (Hardy) Cameron. She was b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt.; end. & H. 1950s].

            Jimmy became a Deseret News boy at the age of 12 and held the job for 5 years. He had a pleasing disposition and was well liked by old and young. He was active in school and received high grades. He played guard on the Bobcat team for Panguitch for 4 years, on the sophomore team, and 2 years for the main team. In 1949 he was chosen president of the Student Body. Graduated from Seminary in 1949 and High School in 1950. Throughout his life he was active in Church affairs, receiving his ordinations in succession. He won the Sears Roebuck scholarship to the Utah State Agricultural College at Logan and attended 2 years. In 1952 he moved with his family to Salt Lake City and was employed by the Wheeler Tire Co. In October 1952 he was called into the armed forces; was sent to Camp San Luis Obispo, Calif., and put into the Signal Corps. He completed his schooling at the Presidio of San Francisco, where he learned personnel and office work. At present he is employed in the Personnel Dept. at Officers Headquarters, doing typewriting and office work; stationed at Ft. Lewis, Washington, and his family is with him. They had 1 child:

(1)       James Randy Myers, b. 1950s, Salt Lake City, Utah.

2.       Elva Myers, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s] ; m. 1950s, Salt Lake City, to Gaydon Leon Mortensen, s. of Niels Clifford & Melva Hope (Hardy) Mortensen. He was b. 1930s, Emery, Emery Co., Utah [bapt. 1940s].

            Elva was chosen cheer leader for Panguitch High School. In the spring of 1951 she was chosen drum majorette of the band. This band received an invitation to attend the band parade of all schools of the state at Salt Lake City, May 1951. She graduated from Seminary [p. 289] and High School; was a good student; active in civic affairs of the school and city; known for her sweet disposition. She moved with her family to Salt Lake City and found employment at the State Capitol as filing clerk in the Drivers License Bureau. At present she is working in the Receiving Dept. of Sears Roebuck Co., Salt Lake City, and teaching the Co-Pilot class in the Primary. Her husband, Gaydon, is employed by the Einco Corp. as a production worker. They had 1 child:

(1)       Gaydon Kim Mortensen, b. 1950s, Salt Lake City.

3.       Gwen Myers, 3rd child of James Levi & Ora Gedske (Excell) Myers, was b. 1930s [bapt 1940s]. She is a graduate of Panguitch Seminary and High School, graduating with honors in 1952. She started to play the snare drum when very young, and played all though High School, becoming quite an expert drummer by the time of her graduation. She was chosen cheer leader with her sister Elva, also the year after Elva’s graduation. She has a good solo voice and has entertained for years in school and elsewhere. She studied tap dancing and humorous dramatic reading. After completing her schooling in Panguitch she accepted a position with the Mountain States Telephone Co.; and has been an active church member.

            Ned Myers, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s]. Ned was a lovable fellow, very fond of animals. After leaving Panguitch with his family he attended Bryant Junior High in Salt Lake City, where he was active in sports and achieved some honors. In 1953 he entered West High, Salt Lake, to complete his studies. Here he was chosen representative of his class due to the outstanding grades he had received previously at Bryant. Sept. 1953 he was chosen to play guard on the Explorer team for 2nd Ward. He is very fast and a good basket ball player. He has been active in Church duties. Soon after moving to Salt Lake he met a boy, Blaine Whipple, who was not a member of the Church. Ned persuaded Blaine to accompany him to Church and was instrumental in his conversion; in Feb. 1953 Blaine was baptized; and they both attend Church regularly and are active members.


      LEONA ELIZABETH EXCELL, 2nd child of Henry George & Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell, was b. 30 Dec. 1909, Panguitch Utah [bapt. 1910s, end. & 5 June 1928]; m. 1920s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to Alton H. Talbot, s. of William Henry & Ethel (Hatch) Talbot. He was b. 26 Oct. 1907, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s, end. 1920s]. They had 4 children:

1.       Evelyn Talbot, b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, Panguitch, to Jerry Ray Dalley, s. of William Ray & Lela Charlotte (Higbee) Dalley. He was b. 1920s, Cedar City, Utah [bapt. 1930s]. They had 3 children:

(1)       Robert Jerry Dalley, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

(2)       Kirk Alton Dalley, b. 1950s, Los Angeles, Calif., d. 1950s.

(3)       Douglas Fenton Dalley, b. 1950s. [p. 290]

2.       Reva Talbot, 2nd child of Alton H. & Leona Elizabeth (Excell) Talbot was b. 1930s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1940s].

3.       Melba Talbot, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s].

4.       Ethelane Talbot, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s].


      JAMES HENRIE EXCELL, 3rd child of Henry George & Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell, was b. 1910s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. 1930s]; m. 1930s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple), to Hilma Talbot, dau. of John Taylor & Celeste (Orton) Talbot. She was b. 1910s, Orton, Utah [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1930s]. They had 5 children, all b. in Panguitch, Utah:

1.       Richard James Excell, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s, end. 1950s]; m. 1950s, Mesa, Ariz. (L.D.S. Temple), to Charlotte LaRue Christensen, dau. of Oral & Fern (Schow) Christensen. She was b. 1930s, Richfield, Utah [bapt. 1940s, end. & H 1950s]. They had 2 children

(1)       Shauna LaRue Excell, b. 1950s, Heber, Wasatch Co., Ut

(2)       Corrine Excell, b. 1950s, Panguitch.

2.       Barbara Gai Excell, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s].

3.       Max Talbot Excell, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s].

4.       Evan K. Excell, b. 1940s [bapt. 1950s].

5.       Dorothy Sue Excell, b. 1940s.


      GEAN EXCELL, 4th child of Henry George & Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell, was b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end. & H. 1930s]; m. 1930s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple), to Albert D. Sevy, s. of Thomas & Amy Genevieve (Clark) Sevy. He was b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s, end. 1930s].

      Gean spent her early life on the farm of her parents. During her schooling she received various awards for activities, several pins, and a Palmer Teaching Certificate for penmanship while in the 5th grade, in the 8th grade a certificate of award for Red Cross First Aid course. During high school she studied dressmaking and had 3 classes in tailoring, which have been of great value to her in her family sewing. She studied chorus and participated in operatic and other musical activities, and played at home and elsewhere on the girls basketball team. Her high school class was the largest that [p. 291] had ever graduated. She also graduated from Seminary with an “A” grade and took an honor part in the graduating exercises.

      Gean attended religion classes for 5 years after school hours and they gave her an appreciation of the Gospel. Her parents always encouraged her to attend all religious functions and the townspeople still remark about the family going to Sunday School with the ten children crowded into the old White topped buggy. Her certificates for graduation from Primary and Bee Hive work are cherished possessions. She also participated in M.I.A. speech, chorus, and dance contests, winning 2nd place in speech and dancing. She was a member of the North Ward chorus which won 1st place in the district and went to Salt Lake City to sing with other choruses under the direction of Nobel Cain. She has been a teacher in Primary, M.I.A., and Sunday School; second counselor in M.I.A.; president of the Primary and received a certificate of award for 15 years service in the Primary; has also been a member of the choir for 16 years. In civic life she has been a charter member, secretary and treasurer, also president of the Questers Club which contributed several hundred dollars for building and maintaining the Panguitch L.D.S. Hospital; was also secretary and treasurer and charter member of the Powell Wool Growers Auxiliary.

      Her husband, Albert, was active in sports in school, and took 1st place in the high hurdle races in the southern district. After his graduation from high school he was made foreman of his father’s sheep, which kept him away from home the greater part of his time for 14 years. Three weeks after marriage, he returned to the herd and was snowed in for 47 days. The snow fell 3 feet deep. The government came to the rescue, through the C.C.C. Camp, to feed the sheep of most of the men in that vicinity, and many of the sheep were lost. The last few years he has been in the farming and livestock business. He was on the Wool Growers Committee of Predatory Animals for several years; secretary of the East Irrigation Co. for 11 years; member of the J.C.’s for 3 years. He is a good father and provider for his family and a friend to everyone in his community. Albert and Gean had 4 children, b. in Panguitch

1,       Albert Dee Sevy, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s].

2.       Kay Sevy, b. 1940s [bapt. 1940s].

3.       Sandra Sevy, b. 1940s [bapt. 1950s].

4.       Irene Sevy, b. 1950s.


      ELSA EXCELL, 5th child of Henry George & Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell, was b. 1910s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1920s]; m. 1930s, Junction, Piute Co., Utah, to Orric Talbot, s. of John Marion & Olive Pearl (Myers) Talbot. He was b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s]. They had 8 children:

1.       Beth Talbot, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s].

2.       Melvin Orric Talbot, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s]. [p. 292]

3.       Joseph William Talbot, 3rd child of Orric & Elsa (Excell) Talbot, was b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 31 Mar. 1946].

4.       Isabell Talbot, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s].

5.       Bobbie Marie Talbot, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

6.       Earleen Talbot, b. 1940s, Salt Lake City, Utah.

7.       Mary Ann Talbot, b. 1950s, Salt Lake City.

8.       Girl, b. 1950s.


      EARL E. EXCELL, 6th child of Henry George & Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell, was b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end. 1940s], d. 1940s, Bougainville, Solomon Islands. He m. 1940s, in Yuma, Yuma Co., Ariz., to Donetta Hooker, dau. of Simeon Sidney & Emma Ann (Howell) Hooker. She was b. 1910s, Clifton, Franklin Co., Idaho [bapt 1920s, end. & H. 1940s]. Donetta remarried 12 Nov. 1948 to Horace Henry Stathom.

      Earl spent his early life on his parents’ farm, and enjoyed the same sports as the others. He won a prize for dancing the Lambeth Walk, loved to sing, and was a great reader of the scriptures and good books. He was a high school graduate and played on the basket ball team. He also graduated from Seminary and then from the Utah State Agricultural College at Logan. He worked for a while in California. In 1942 he was inducted into service, in the Observation and Field Artillery. He attended officers training school at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, and was made 2nd Lt. His name was posted for advancement to Captain while he was in California. All his men loved him because he would not ask them to do a thing he would not do himself. His Captain tried to persuade him not to go on reconnaissance at the time he was killed, but he said Earl wanted it that way. He stood at his post, in the trees, after being surrounded by the enemy. There he administered first aid to his wounded companions and gave the positions of the enemy to his Captain, which enabled his group to destroy many battalions that would have killed our men. His General said he had never seen such bravery, in World War I or II, as was displayed by Earl in Bougainville just before he died. He was awarded the Purple Heart. His companion lived 3 days after Earl died; he was killed while telling the Captain about Earl. He was buried on one side of the island; but because the grave was not on U.S. soil, it was moved to the opposite side, then to the Philippines, and then to Panguitch, Utah, where he was buried in the city cemetery. What a useless sacrifice and toll of young men wars take, and what sadness is left in the hearts of parents, friends, and loved ones.

      Earl was much loved by his family and townspeople. He would never indulge in gossip about anyone but would defend those who were not present to do so themselves. He had a lovely wife, who is striving to raise their child as Earl would have her live:

1.       Irene Excell, b.. 19 Sept. 1943, Preston, Franklin Co., Idaho [bapt. 1950s]. [p. 293]


      IRENE EXCELL, 7th child of Henry George & Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell, was b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end. 1930s], d. 1930s. Irene was the “peace maker.” When arguments arose in the home, she would sing, “Oh, Angry Worlds Let Them Never,” and “When There’s Love at Home.” Her friends tell of how she would try to divert their attention to other things when dissensions and quarrels arose and when gossip started

      She too loved the farm and the family activities. She loved to sing and dance, ride and skate, and all the indoor games. She had a lovely alto voice which blended with all the other fine voices of the family. She had indeed inherited the “Henrie talent” for music.

      She graduated from seminary and high school. At the time of her death she was attending Utah State Agricultural College at Logan. She was killed while returning home from a neighboring town dance, and was singing at the time of the accident. The driver of the car evidently fell asleep. Irene saw that the machine was going to leave the road and took the wheel and steered it back onto the road. This awakened the driver, who, with a start, gave the wheel a sharp turn and tipped the car over, throwing her 25 to 30 feet, breaking her neck and cutting a dep hole in her head. She died just before they got her to the doctor. Her body was brought to Panguitch and she was buried in the family burial plot.

      Everyone loved Irene. She was mild and good, beautiful in looks and actions. She had good habits and tried to do good wherever she went. Her pals talk of her yet and tell how they miss her and her lovely personality.


      DON G. EXCELL, 8th child of Henry George & Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell, was b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end. 1930s]; m. 1930s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple), to Alta Hancock, dau. of Slade Cyrus Marie (Church) Hancock. She was b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s, end. & H. 1930s]. They had 4 children, all b. in Panguitch:

1.       Terrill Excell, b. 1940s [bapt. 1940s].

2.       Linda Lee Excell, b. 1940s [bapt. 1950s].

3.       Lucille Excell, b. 1940s.

4.       Alta Kathleen Excell, b. 1950s.


      MELVIN BALLARD EXCELL, 9th child of Henry George & Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell, was b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end.. 5 Oct. 1939], d. 1930s. He spent his life on the farm. In his youth he did not seem to have the family gift of singing and the others always told him he was out of tune. Put he persisted in joining the chorus, and his father said to [p. 294] him, “Keep right on singing and some time you will be able to show them how it is done.” He did keep trying and developed a fine bass voice, which he used for the entertainment of groups in church, in the home, and wherever he went.

      Melvin attended high school for 3 years and would have been valedictorian had he lived. He was on the basket ball team and was a brilliant student.

      He graduated from Seminary, after he and some of his pals had made up with the teacher for some prank. It seems that they had not done the work outlined by the teacher and tried to talk him out of it. The teacher told them if they did not make up the work, they would get a blank diploma. As soon as the graduating ceremony was over they slipped out, not receiving congratulations from anyone. They bought material, went to a hotel room, did the required work, and went hack to the teacher. He gave them their diplomas and they all went home. When Ballard came into the house he said, “Well, her is my diploma, I wouldn’t have let you see that blank one for any price.” Then he told his family how sorry he was for his behavior. He received a good scolding and was laughed at for doing anything so foolish. Then he was praised for his attitude and receiving the award.

      His death resulted from a broken neck while diving into a swimming hole. The sand had shifted from one side of the pool to the other from the time he was swimming a few days before. He was paralyzed from the neck to his feet. The doctor reported that nothing could have been done to save him. Don, his brother, applied artificial respiration for six hours, with a little help from two other men, but it was to no avail. The doctor worked over Don to keep him alive, because he became so exhausted and was heart broken. They were loving pals as well as brothers.

      Melvin was buried in the Panguitch cemetery. He was a dutiful and obedient lad, and was loved dearly. He loved his classmates and all with whom he associated. He had a good word for everyone and would not listen to degrading remarks about others.


      ANE MARIE EXCELL, 10th child of Henry George & Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell, was b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s, end. & H. 1940s]; m. 1940s, Mesa (L.D.S. Temple), to Howard Dee Veeter, s. of Howard Simeon & Allie (Webb) Veater. He was b. 1920s, Circleville, Utah [bapt. 1930s, end. 1940s]. They had 4 children:

1.       Tanya Marie Veater, b. 1940s [bapt. 1950s].

2.       De Ane Veater, b. 1940s, Ogden, Utah.

3.       Lois Veater, b. 1950s, Panguitch, Utah.

Originally Las Vegas, but was noted that San Bernardino was correct.
      4.       Michelle Veater, b. 1950s, San Bernardino, California. [p. 295]