Chapter VI
Daniel Henrie Jr.

      DANIEL HENRIE JR., 4th child of Daniel & Amanda (Bradley) Henrie, was b. 29 Dec. 1854, in Manti, Sanpete Co., Utah [bapt. 1862, end. 3 Oct. 1888], d. 1920s-7, at Ferron, Utah, and bur. there 26-27 Jan, He m. 17 Jan. 1875 in Manti, Utah, Elzina Stringham, dau. of William & Eliza (Lake) Stringham. She was b. 5 Nov. 1857, in Manti [bapt. 6 July 1867, end. & H. 3 Oct. 1888], d. 13 Jan. 1908. They had 10 children; the first 3 were b. in Manti, the others in Ferron, Utah:

1.       May Francelle Henrie, b. 19 Oct. 1875; m. (1) Hyrum Jensen; m. (2) Smith Herring,

2.       Daniel Eugene Henrie, b. 15 Jan, 1878; m. Harriette Thomas.

3.       Ross Lynn Henrie, b. 25 May 1880, d. 9 June 1880 [ P. 3 Oct. 1888].

4.       Eliza Henrie, b. 15 Aug 1882; m. John Bohleen.

5.       Roscoe Henrie, b. 2 July 1885, d. 11 May 1890 [ P. 3 Oct. 1888].

6.       William Herbert Henrie, b. 20 Dec. 1887 [bapt. 25 Aug. 1906, P. 3 Oct. 1888]; not married.

7.       Elzina Henrie, b. 28 Apr. 1890; m. John LeRoy Bell.

8.       Marietta Henrie, b. 7 Oct. 1892; m. Oscar Devon LeaMaster.

9.       LeGrande Henrie, b. 26 Apr. 1895 [bapt. 25 Aug. 1906]; not married.

10.       Ada Rae Henrie, b. 13 Oct. 1900; m. William Ray Somerville.


      MAY FRANCELLE HENRIE, was b. 19 Oct. 1875, Manti, Utah, dau. of Daniel Elzina (Stringham) Henrie. [She was bapt. 11 June 1885.] On 29 Oct. 1894 She m. (1) Hyrum Jensen, whom she divorced in 1899. They had 1 child:

1.       Daniel Movell Jensen, D. 12 Aug. 1895; m. Irma Hitchcock.

May Francelle Henrie m. (2), 28-29 Oct. 1899, in Ferron, Utah, Smith Herring, s. of Joseph Smith & Caroline A. (Peterson) Herring. He was b. 28 June 1876, Annabella, Utah [bapt. July 1884]. [May and Smith were S. H.& W. 7 Dec. 1904, in Manti; May later got a temple divorce from him.] They had 9 children:

2.       Edna Mae Herring, b. 12 Aug. 1895; m. (1) Maurice Wilder Thompson; m. (2) William Frank Campbell.

3.       Elzina Herring, b. 18 Mar. 1903; m. James Lindsay Smith. [p. 77]

4.       Zella V. Herring, b. 7 Mar. 1905; m. Ralph Lorenzo Hansen.

5.       Floyd Smith Herring, b. 16 June 1907; m. (1) Beulah Elliot; m. (2) Delta Rae Atwood.

6.       Lloyd Herbert Herring, b. 25 July 1909; m. (1) Beth or Elizabeth Hansen; m. (2) Althea Elizabeth Whitby.

7.       Marietta Geneva Herring, b. 1910s; m. (1) Lewis Beck; m. (2) Howard C. Leak.

8.       Carrie Melissa Herring, b. 1910s; m. (1) William Wylie Foster; m, (2) William Raymond Price.

9.       Glendon Terrace Herring, b. 1910s; m. Margaret Tanner.

10.       Alpha Adella Herring, b. 1910s, Sparta, Ore. [bapt. 1920s]; m. 1930s, Curtis Leroy Jones.

      DANIEL MOVELL JENSEN, s. of May Francelle Henrie & Hyrum Jensen, was b. 12 Aug. 1895, Ferron, Utah [bapt. 5 June 1904, sealed to May Francelle and Smith Herring]. Movell went by the name of Herring although it was never legalized in the courts. He m. Irma Hitchcock, b. Aug. 1900, in Santa Barbara, Calif. They had 2 children, b. in Santa Barbara:

1.       Dorothy Gerane Jensen; m. Ernest Nickerson. They had 2 children:

(1)       Danny Nickerson.

(2)       Kathy Lee Nickerson.

2.       Shirley Jean Jensen, b. Aug.-Sept. 1931.

      EDNA MAE HERRING, dau. of Smith & May Francelle (Henrie) Herring, was b. 22 Aug. 1900, in Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1920s, P. 7 Dec. 1904]; m. (1) Maurice Wilder Thompson, s. of Wesley Carpenter & Sarah C. (Wilder) Thompson. He was b. 8 Apr. 1889, Black Hills, So. Dakota [bapt. Feb. 1925], m. 1910s, Baker City, Ore. Edna and Maurice were divorced 1941. She m. (2) 23 June 1947, in Walla Walla, Wash., William Frank Campbell.

      Edna and Maurice had 5 children:

1.       Wesley Smith Thompson, b. 1910s, Keating, Baker Co., Ore., d. 1910s-1919, at Sparta, Ore.

2.       Stanley Wilder Thompson, b. 1920s, Halfway, Baker Co., Ore. [bapt. 1920s]; m. 1943, in Dayton, Wash., Helen . They had 1 child:

(1)       Stanley Wilder Thompson Jr., b. 1940s, Pendelton, Umatilla, Ore. Parents divorced. [p. 78]

      Stanley Wilder Thompson m. (2) Nova Louise Behme or Beahme, b. 1920s, LeGrande, Union Co., Ore. They were m. 1940s, at Walla Wash. She is a non member of the L.D.S. Church. They had 2 children:

(2)       Ronald Wayne Thompson, b. 1940s, Pendelton, Ore.

(3)       Janice Marie Thompson, b. 1950s.

3.       Leland Floyd Thompson, 3rd child of Maurice Wilder & Edna Mae (Herring) Thompson, was b. 1920s, LaSal, San Juan Co., Utah [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, Frances Marie Lane, b. 1920s, in Hermiston, Ore. They had 4 children, all b. in Pondelton, Ore.:

(1)       Gary Lee Thompson, b. 1940s.

(2)       Richard Dennis Thompson, b. 1940s.

(3)       Barbara Lane Thompson, b. 1940s.

(4)       Deborah Kay Thompson, b. 1950s.

4.       Donald Wayne Thompson, b. 1920s, Halfway, Baker Co., Ore. [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, Mabel Williams. They had 2 children

(1)       Sandra Kay Thompson, b. 1940s, Pendelton, Ore.

(2)       Danny Wayne Thompson b. 1950s, LeGrande, Ore.

5.       Ruth Charleen Thompson, b. 1920s, Halfway, Ore.; m. 1940s, in Walla Walla, Wash., Edwin Ernest Obrist. He was b. 1910s. They had 4 children:

(1)       Lawrence Edwin Obrist, b. 1940s, Baker, Ore.

(2)       Alvin Eugene Obrist, b. 1940s, Baker.

(3)       Donald Allen Obrist, b. 1950s, The Dalles, Ore.

(4)       Mitchell Lynn Obrist, b. 1950s.

      ELZINA HERRING, dau. of Smith & May Francelle (Henrie) Herring, was b. 18 Mar. 1903, Ferron, Emery Co., Utah [bapt. 1910s, P. 7 Dec. 1904, end. & H. 1920s]; m. 1920s, Moab, Grand Co., Utah, James Lindsay Smith, s. of Joseph Marion & Annie Isabell (Lindsay) Smith. He was b. 6 Mar. 1896, Heber, Wasatch Co., Utah [bapt. 1922, end. 1920s]. [p. 79]

      When Elzina was two and one-half years old, her parents moved to Imbler, Ore., where they lived a short time before moving to LaGrande, Ore., and other places in the county. Due to considerable moving around, the children were forced to change schools often and missed school a good deal of the time. When Elzina was 14 she took her first job helping a lady to cook for sheep-shearers.

      When Elzina was 17 her parents moved to San Juan Co., Utah, where she met and married James Lindsay Smith, who had come there to teach school. After school was out they moved to Heber City, where James was born. He was not successful in getting work there and went to Park City to work in the mine for a little over a year. In 1927 they moved to Provo where he was employed at the Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Co. He was laid off during the depression and for several months was unemployed except for taking orders and delivering candy which they made in their home for the holiday season. Elzina writes: “We made and sold 600 pounds of peanut brittle alone that season, to say nothing of the many pounds of fudge, marshmallows, Boston creams, and divinity. When Christmas came a knock at the door revealed a box of groceries the Relief Society had graciously left on our door atop; even though I knew they were left with the spirit of Christmas and good will, I cried because it seemed that all of the long days and nights I had spent in the months previous, making candy to avoid accepting any charity, had suddenly crashed upon my head. Words still never express the joy that the messenger sent from the Utah State Hospital brought to our home when he said my husband had been one of the 35 men selected to begin work there in February. The wage a were only $75 per month, but it was most gratifying to see even that small check. He has been employed there 21 years.” Elzina and James had 4 children:

1.       Gilbert Glea Smith, b. 1920s, LaSal , Utah [bapt. 1920s, P. 1920s, end. 1940s]; m. 1940s, in Salt Lake City (L.D.S, Temple), Zella Fawn Bailey, dau. of Reed Vincent Jenny V. (Jones) Bailey. She was b. 1930s, Provo, Utah [bapt.. 15 May 1938, end. & H. 1940s]. After graduating from Provo High School, Gilbert went to Bakersfield, Calif., and completed a vocational course in automobile mechanics. Later he worked with his Uncle Val in the leaf-mold business. Later he went to Sacramento Air Depot and worked as an aeroplane mechanic. He served in the Navy in World War II, was sent to Pearl Harbor and assigned to aircraft carrier Hornet, which sank many ships. After the Hornet was sunk, he was reassigned to a small converted carrier, the Attamaha. That year he was selected from his group to go to Chicago for more specialized training in airplane mechanics. At the close of the war he held the rating of A.M.M.1/C and received the presidential citation. He attended the Brigham Young University and is presently employed by the Mountain Fuel Supply Co. They had 1 child:

(1)       Jan Marie Smith, b. 1950s, Provo, Utah.

2.       Joseph Wendell Smith, b. 1920s, Heber, Utah [bapt. 1930s, P. 1920s]; not married. In December, one year after “Pearl Harbor,” Wendell received his call to the Navy. He was only 18 years old, but the high school informed him that his credits were complete and it would not be necessary for him to remain until the end of the year. In January, 1943, he was sent to Farragut, Idaho, for boot training, and was later sent to the Aleutian Islands until the end of the war. He attended the Brigham Young University and is now employed at Geneva Steel Plant.

3.       Allen Blaine Smith, b. 1920s, Provo, Utah [bapt. 1930s, P. 1920s]; m. 1940s, in Detroit, Mich., Carol Mae Jennens, dau. of Arthur Emil & Winifred (Parkinson) Jennens. She was b. 1930s, in Detroit [bapt. 1930s]. [p. 80]

      Allen Blaine Smith was attending the Brigham Young University when notice came for him to report for one year of service with the Army. He was sent to Fort Lewis, Wash., where he served as a clerk typist and gained the rank of Sgt. within 8 months. After his honorable release he returned to his home and school. After marrying Carol he went to Whittier, Calif., to live. He attended the U.C.L.A. and completed his credits, but he received his degree from Brigham Young University, majoring in psychology. He and Carol are employed at the Fluor Corp., in Los Angeles, where he is continuing some classes in engineering in the line of his employment.

4.       Marva Mae Smith, 4th child of James Lindsay & Elaina (Herring) Smith, was b. 1930s, Provo, Utah [bapt. 1930s, P. 1920s, end. & H. 1950s]; m. 1950s, in Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), Wayne Richard Walker, s. of Merl Boyce & Enola (Thaxton) Walker. He was b. 1920s, Lovell, Big Horn Co., Wyo., [bapt. 1930s, end. Dec. 1949]. Marva enrolled in the school of psychiatric nursing at Concord, New Hampshire. Disappointed in her endeavors, she returned home 4 months later to work at the Utah Valley Hospital. She as employed there for two years and eight months, during which time she married Wayne, a returned missionary who was attending the Brigham Young University. They had 1 child:

(1)       Marwin Walker, b. 1950s, Provo, Utah.

      ZELLA V. HERRING, dau. of Smith & May Francelle (Henrie) Herring, was b. 7 Mar. 1905, in Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1940s];m. 1920s, in Price, Utah, to Ralph Lorenzo Hansen, s. of John & Dora Amelia (Tuft) Hansen. He was b. 19 Nov. 1903, in Laurence, Emery Co., Utah, d. 1940s, in Halfway, Ore., bur. 7 June 1947, in Provo, Utah [end. 1940s]. They had 5 children:

1.       Venna Hansen, b. 1920s, Halfway, Ore.

2.       Arlen Ralph Hansen, b. 1920s, Halfway, Ore.

3.       Reed Louritz Hansen, b. 1930s, Halfway, Ore.

4.       Joyce Hansen, b. 1930s, Baker, Ore. [bapt. 1940s].

5.       Janice Hansen, b. 1930s, Baker, Ore. [bapt. 1940s].

      FLOYD SMITH HERRING, son of Smith & May Francelle (Henrie) Herring, was b. 16 June 1907, LeGrande, Ore. [bapt. 1910s]; m. (1) Beulah Elliott on 1 Apr. 1927, in Provo, Utah. She was b. in Provo, a dau. of Bert & Laura (Snelson) Elliot, d. 1920s, Provo, and bur. there June 24. No children. Floyd Smith Herring m. (2) Delta Rae Atwood, on 20-21 June 1928, in Provo. She was b. 1910s, in Spanish Fork, Utah. They had 2 children:

1.       Flora Rae Herring, b. 1920s, in Carey, Blaine Co., Idaho [bapt. 1940s]. [p. 81]

2.       Melba Lucille Herring, 2nd child of Floyd Smith & Delta Rae (Atwood) Herring, was b. 1930s, Shoshone, Idaho [bapt. 1940s]; m. 1940s, in Ely, Nevada, Billy Joe Wallace, s. of Albert & Millie Jewel (Jewel may be her maiden name) Wallace, non member of L.D.S. Church. He was b. 1920s, Wichita Falls, Tex. They had 2 children:

(1)       Cheryl Ann Wallace, b. 1950s, San Jose, Santa Clara Co., Calif.

(2)       Candice Toleen Wallace, b. 1950s, San Jose.

      LLOYD HERBERT HERRING, child of Smith & May Francelle (Henrie) Herring, b. 25 July 1909, Pleasant Valley, Baker Co., Ore. [bapt. 1910s]; m. (1) 11 Apr. 1931-2, in Carey, Blaine Co., Idaho, Elizabeth or Beth Hansen, dau. of Andrew & Maude Hansen. She was b. 15 July 1909; now divorced. They had 1 child:

(a)       Doris Ann Herring, b. Apr. 1933, Hailey, Blaine Co., Idaho.

Lloyd m. (2) Althea Elizabeth Whitby on 11 Apr. 1935, in Twin Falls, Idaho. She was b. 15 July 1909, chr. Carey, Idaho, dau. of Oscar Alfred & Viola Pereniel (Little) Whitby [bapt. 1910s, end. June 1949 & P. June 1949]. They were divorced. Had 3 children:

2.       Gordon Lloyd Herring, b. 1930s, Hailey, Idaho [bapt. 1940s].

3.       Helen Mae Herring, b. 1930s, Hailey [bapt. 1940s].

4.       Ruth Nadine Herring, b. 1940s, American Fork, Utah [bapt. 1940s].

      MARIETTA GENEVA HERRING, dau. of Smith & May Francelle (Henrie) Herring, was b. 1910s, Pleasant Valley, Ore. [bapt. 1920s]. She m. (1) Lewis Beck, who d. 1920s, Spanish Fork, Utah. They had 1 child:

1.       Lloyd Lewis Beck, b. Oct. 1929, Halfway, Ore.

Marietta m. (2) 4 Sept. 1930, in Baker, Ore., Howard C. Leak. They had 2 children, b. in Halfway, Ore.:

2.       Earl Edward Leak, b. 1932.

3.       Gayland or Gaylen Leak.

      CARRIE MELISSA HERRING, dau. of Smith & May Francelle (Henrie) Herring, was b. 1910s, Keating, Baker Co., Ore. [bapt. 1920s]; m. (1) William Wylie Foster, in Baker, Ore., a non-member of the L.D.S. Church. They divorced. Had 2 children, b. in Halfway, Ore.:[p. 82]

Children of William Wylie & Carrie Melissa (herring) Foster, 2:

1.       Alda Ellen Foster, b. 1930s-31 [bapt. 1950s]; m. L.D. Jones. Had 1 child.

2.       Allena Rae Foster, b. 1930s [bapt. 1950s]; m. Paul G. Ellis. Had 2 children.

Carrie Melissa m. (2) William Raymond Price. They had 2 children, b. in Vancouver, Clark Co., Wash.:

3.       Thomas William Price, b. 1940s.

4.       John LeBaron Price, b. 1950s.

      GLENDON TERRACE HERRING, son of Smith & May Francelle (Henrie) Herring, was. b. 1910s, Sparta, Ore. [bapt. 1920s'; m. 1930s, in Provo, Utah, Margaret Tanner, dau. of Jared U Mattis Ellen (Buys) Tanner. She was b. 1920s, in Payson, Utah [bapt. 1932]. They had 4 children:

1.       Charles Marvin Herring, b. 1940s, Tucson, Ariz. [bapt. 1952].

2.       Patricia Jean Herring, b. 1940s, Pendleton, Ore. [bapt. 1952].

3.       Glendon Terrace Herring, b. 1940s, Pendleton, Ore. [bapt. 1953].

4.       William Smith Herring, b. 1940s, Vancouver, Wash.


      DANIEL EUGENE HENRIE, 2nd child of Daniel & Elzina (Stringham) Henrie, was b. 16 Jan. 1878, Manti, Sanpete Co., Utah [bapt. 10 June 1888, end. 1920s, in Manti L.D.S. Temple]; d. 1910s, in Ferron, Utah, and bur. there June 27. He m. 21 Aug. 1902, in Ferron, Harriet Thomas, dau. of Richard Powell & Martha P. (Jones) Thomas. She was b. 29 June 1886, Winter Quarters, Carbon Co., Utah [bapt. 29 July 1894, end. & H. 1930s]. Children of Daniel Eugene & Harriet (Thomas) Henrie, 6:

1.       Blanche Henrie, b. 18 May 1903; m. Emil Axel Ostlund.

2.       Richard Ellis Henrie, b. 10 Apr. 1905, Ferron, Utah; m. Ruth Hendricks. He is the only son to carry on the Daniel & Elzina Henrie name. His father d. when he was 14 yrs. old. He worked on a coal crusher in Sunnyside, Utah, went to night school, and helped his mother with the home finances. Later he became a skilled motion picture operator and has worked in the motion picture business for 25 years. Ruth has written several short stories.

3.       Eugenia Henrie, b. 30 May 1903; m. Lavar Return Hill. [p. 83]

4.       Martha Melva Henrie, dau. of Daniel Eugene & Harriet (Thomas) Henrie, b. 28 Oct. 1908- 0; m. Merrill Edward Gottfredson.

5.       Mary Lucile Henrie, b. 1910s, Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1920s] m. 1932, in Farmington, Utah, to Arthur Hughs, b. 1910s, s. of George & Clara (Spafford) Hughs. They had 1 child:

                  (1)       Connie Marie Hughs, b. 1930s, Provo, Utah.

6.       Jennie Elzina Henrie, b. 1910s, Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1920s, S.toP. 1930s]; m. Mr. Laney.

After Daniel Eugene Henrie died, Harriet Thomas m. (2) 16 June 1919-20, in Salt Lake City, Utah, David John Thomas. He was b. 13 Dec. 1872, Murther, Tidwell Co., Wales, s. of Elmer S. & Margarette Thomas. He d. 1930s, in Springville, Utah, and bur. there. They had 1 child: David John Thomas Jr., b. 1920s, Sunnyside, Carbon Co., Utah [bapt. 1930s, S. to P. 1930s—he was sealed to his mother and her first husband Daniel Eugene Henrie]. Harriet m. (3) 25 July 1933, in Manti Temple for time only, Henry Maylett.

      BLANCHE HENRIE, eldest child of Daniel Eugene & Harriet (Thomas) Henrie, was b. 18 May 1903, in Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1910s, S. to H. 1940s, end. same date; P. 1940s]; m. 1920s, in Price, Utah to Emil Axel Ostlund, s. of Axel & Charlotte (Jacobsen) Anderson. Emil was b. 3 Aug. 1879, Loghem Bohuslan, Gotenberg, Sweden [bapt. 7 Apr. 1902, end. 1940s]. He was reared in Sweden on a large farm owned by his father, who kept a number of families on the land, all living in separate homes, to till the farm and do all the work required of them. He also owned and operated a transport ship which plied between Sweden and England. Emil’s family were devout Lutherans; one brother was a minister and Emil was a graduate of Bible School. At the age of 18 he was an officer in a military school. About this time he had a friend who wanted to come to America and asked Emil to make the trip with him. After all arrangements were made for the voyage, the friend decided not to come and Emil made the trip alone. He was so enthusiastic over what he saw that he decided to stay a year in America. He remained and in time because a true American citizen. His first job was in a coal mine; starting at the bottom he at a very young age became mine inspector and superintendent for Utah Fuel Co. and held this position for about 30 years.

      While living in Carbon Co. Emil was elected County Commissioner for two terms. He was a stockholder in the Price 1st National Bank, Ford Motor Co., and Eastern Utah Elec. Co. After his marriage to Blanche he left the mining business and moved to Provo, where he affiliated with the dairy business on a big scale. He was not very happy in this venture and sold out, and built a motion picture theater in Springville, Utah. He was privileged to return to Sweden to spend 3 months with his family and friends. When he returned to Springville he was elected City Councilman for 3 years, also city Mayor for a term. He acquired the ownership of 2 theaters in Spanish Fork and 2 in Springville; has served as president of the Inter Mountain Theater Assn. He has served in various capacities in the Church. He reared 4 children by his first wife; one daughter filled a two-year mission in the Northwestern states.

      Blanche Henrie Ostlund enjoys keeping a lovely home and is especially fond of art and music. She has served as a Bee Hive teacher, Gleaner Girl teacher, and President for 4 years of the Y.L.M.I.A; has been a counselor on the M.I.A. Stake Board; has worked in Relief Society, Sunday School; has been president [p. 84] of Alpha Beta Club (Ladies Literary), and First Lady of Springville during the time her husband was Mayor of the city.

      Blanche and Emil adopted a baby girl when she was only a few hours old:

1.       Norma Rae Ostlund, b. 1920s, Salt Lake City, Utah [bapt. 1930s, end. & H. 1940s]; m. 1940s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to Jerrol Moss Boyer, s. of Selvoy Jarrett & Mary Gladys (Sessions) Boyer. He was b. 1920s, in Springville, Utah [bapt. Apr. 1936, end. Nov. 1946].

            Jerrol was active in high school dramatics, an honor student of the Thespian Club and received many awards in speech contests. He was an honor high school graduate. He went on a 2½ year mission to England and was made president of the Nottingham Dist. He served under his father who was president of the British Mission, for 4 years. After returning he attended the Brigham Young University for 2½ years. He has been an active church worker, as teacher in the different auxiliaries, and counselor on the Mutual Stake Bd. He is a bookkeeper for Whiting & Heymond Constr. Co. and is still working on his degree in accounting.

            Norma Rae is talented in dramatics, dancing, and entertaining. She as a member of the Thespian Club and received the highest award of a “two-star Thespian.” She graduated as an honor student and attended the Brigham Young University for 2½ years. She has served in Junior Sunday School, was an honor Bee Hive girl and Golden Gleaner girl in M.I.A., has been Junior Gleaner instructor in M.I.A., co-ordinator in Junior Sunday School, and a member of Alpha Beta Club.

                  Norma Rae and Jerrol had 1 child:

                  (1) Steven Jerrol Boyer, b. 1950s, Salt Lake City.

      EUGENIA HENRIE, dau. of Daniel Eugene and Harriet (Thomas) Henrie, was b. 30 May 1903, in LaGrande, Ore. [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1930s, P. 1930s]; m. 1920s, in Provo, Utah, Lavar Return Hill, s. of Return & Jane (Bounes or Bownes) Hill. He was b. 2 Nov. 1902, in Fayette, Utah Co., Utah [end. 1930s].

      Eugenia’s parents moved from Oregon to Utah when she was a baby; they lived in Ferron and Sunnyside, Utah, for a time. Her father died when she was 9 years old, leaving her mother with 6 children: the oldest 13 and a baby 10 months old. When Eugenia was 10 years old she went to LaSalle, Utah, from Ferron in a covered wagon, to spend a while with her grandparents Daniel & Eliza (Stringham) Henrie. After a 4 months stay she and her brother made the trip back to their home, again in a covered wagon drawn by a span of her grandfather’s mules. Eugenia has lived in Manti all her married life. She was secretary of the Ward Relief Society 2 yrs. and counselor 1 yr.; Democratic vice-chairman of Sanpete Co. 6 yrs; member of Daughters of Pioneers; Legion Auxiliary; and Manti Ladies Literary Club; teacher of Gleaner Girls and Bee Hive. She and her husband are members of the Ward Genealogy Committee and love church work and civil affairs; they are members of the Ward letter writing committee to contact missionaries and service men and women from their ward. [p. 85]

Lavar Return & Eugenia (Henrie) Hill had 2 children, b. in Manti, Utah:

1.       Richard Lavar Hill, b. 1920s [bapt. 1930s]; m. Derilys B. Rowe, b. in Wyoming, dau. of Glen A. & Maggie (Barton) Rowe. Richard was very active in high school: took the lead in the school opera the year he was a senior; participated in athletics; member of the high school basket ball team for 3 years; won Utah state championship in doubles in tennis for Manti High and 2 district medals; was president of the Junior Class; president of the F.F.A.; member of the high school chorus. He married Derilys while he was a senior. Later he went into the U.S. Navy as radio man 1st class in the submarine division, for 4 years. He is now attending Radio Television school in Salt Lake City. Now divorced. They had 2 children:

(1)       Richard Glen Hill, b. 1940s.

(2)       Janilee Rowe Hill, b. 1950s.

2.       Robert Ellis Hill, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s]. Robert was the lead player in the high school opera the year he was a senior and was active in dramatics and music. He played a baritone horn and was chosen to attend the Intermountain Music Meet at Provo, Utah. After his graduation he enlisted in the Army as mechanic in the engineering service brigade with the rank of corporal. He spent 21 months overseas, 13 in Korea at the beginning of the Korean Conflict. His company evacuated all the troops out of Hung Nam. After his discharge he returned home and began operating as a Diesel mechanic and driver for Demont Johnson of Provo.

      MARTHA MELVA HENRIE, 4th child of Daniel Eugene & Harriet (Thomas) Henrie, was b. 28 Oct. 1908-9, Sunnyside, Carbon Co., Utah [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1940s, P. 1940s]; m. 1920s, in Provo, Utah to Merrill Edward Gottfredson, s. of James Edward & Emma (Buckley) Gottfredson. He was b. 11 Dec. 1905 [bapt. 1910s, end. 1940s]. They had 5 children:

1.       Phyllis Gottfredson, b. 1920s, Murray, Utah, d. 1930s, Springville, Utah [ P. 1940s].

2.       Don Merrill Gottfredson, b. 1930s, Spanish Fork, Utah [bapt. 1940s, end. 1950s, P. 1940s].

3.       Paul Eugene Gottfredson, b. 1930s, Springville, Utah [bapt. 1940s, P. 1940s].

4.       David Evan Gottfredson, b. 1930s, Midvale, Utah [bapt. 1940s, P. 1940s].

5.       Phillip B. Gottfredson, b. 1940s, Murray, Utah [bapt. 1930s, P. 12 June 1946]. [p. 86]


      ELIZA HENRIE, 4th child of Daniel & Elzina (Stringham) Henrie, was b. 15 Aug. 1882, Ferron, Utah [bapt. 16 Sept. 1894, P. 3 Oct. 1888]; m. 7 May 1901, in Ferron, Utah, to John Bohleen, s. of John F. & Hannah (Johnson Bohleen. He was b. 25 Mar. 1872, Spring City, Utah. They had 6 children, all b. in Ferron:

1.       John Leland Bohleen, b. 24 Mar. 1902 [bapt. 1910s]; m. (1) Anna Rassmussen, b. 23 Dec. 1902, in Ferron, Utah. She d. 1940s in Ferron. He m. (2) Cora Seely.

2.       Daniel Melrose Bohleen, b. 26 Feb. 1903-4; m. 1930s, Beuilah Seely, dau. of Jess or Jesse & Florence (Skyler) Seely. They had 3 children, all b. in Ferron, Utah:

(1)       Melvin Bohleen, b. 1930s.

(2)       Barbara Jo Bohleen, b. 1940s.

(3)       Jessy Lynn Bohleen, b. 1940s.

      Daniel Melrose Bohleen was ordained a teacher in the L.D.S. Church; was a junior in the Ferron school.

3.       Lila Wanda Bohleen, b. 7 July 1907 [bapt. 1910s]; m. 1930s, in Price, Carbon Co., Utah, to George W. Jenkins, b. in Texas. She was a teacher in Primary for many years. They had 3 children:

(1)       Peggy Jenkins, b. 22 Jan. abt. 1933.

(2)       Jack Jenkins, b. 5 Aug. abt. 1942.

(3)       Lila Gay Jenkins, b. 26 Sept. abt. 1946.

4.       Henrie Rex Bohleen, b. 1910s [bapt. 1920s]; m. 1940s, in California, to Odessa Wilcox. He was ordained a Teacher in the L.D.S. Church. Served 3½ years in World War II, in the Seabees, with a rank of Seaman 3rd Class. Was in several of the Hawaiian Islands and also in Guam when it was taken—was there till the war ended and also in many other islands. After the war he attended school in Compton, Calif., and graduated.

5.       Zina Faun Bohleen, b. 1910s; m. William Edward Moss, s. of Walter Francis and Sarah Martha (Weddle) Moss. He was b. 1910s in Arlington, Texas, d. 1950s in Los Angeles, Calif., and bur. at Downey, Calif. They had 3 children, b. in Calif.:

                  (1) Connie Lee Moss, b. 1930s [bapt. 1950s].

(2)       Edward Dean Moss, b. 1940s [bapt. 1950s].

(3)       Nancy Jean Moss, b. 1940s. [p. 87]

6.       Bobbie Bohleen, 6th child of John & Eliza (Henrie) Bohleen, was b. 1920s, Ferron, Utah. Ordained a Deacon in the L.D.S. Church. Was in World War II in Patton’s 3rd Army, with rank of engineer. Has 4 battle stars. His company landed in France two days after D Day.


      ELZINA HENRIE, 7th child of Daniel & Elzina (Stringham) Henrie, was b. 28 Apr. 1890, Ferron, Utah [bapt. 17 June 1900]; m. 1910s to John LeRoy Bell. They had 3 children:

1.       Daniel LeRoy Bell, b. 1910s, Price, Utah or Sunnyside, Utah [bapt. 1920s

; m. Marion Loretta M. Knowles, b. in Pennsylvania. He had his name changed to Daniel Kelly by the Los Angeles Courts 24 Jan. 1939; the record does not state why he had his name changed from Bell to Kelly. He graduated from Price High School; trained as a flyer at Price and at Grand Junction, Colo.; attended flying school at Los Angeles; flew at Mines Field, Calif., and trained students for World War II; was superintendent on one shift at Times air craft during the war.

2.       Mary Elzina Bell, b. 1910s-13, Sunnyside or Price, Utah [bapt. 1920s]; m. abt. 1935, Ernest Eugene Sleeth. He was b. 1910s, in Indianapolis, Ind. Mary Elzina is a high school graduate. She graduated also from Los Angeles County Hospital as a nurse and is now doing surgical nursing in Los Angeles. She was supervisor of Downey Hospital during World War II for several years; is also skilled in other lines of work. They had 2 children, b. in Los Angeles, Calif.:

(1)       Dixie Gean Sleeth, b. 1930s.

(2)       Marian Joan Sleeth, adopted, b. 1940s.

3.       Keith H. Bell, b. 1910s, LaSal, San Juan Co., Utah; m. Ruth Parker. Keith had his name changed to Keith H. Kelly by the Government when he entered the service July 1945. Was in Secret Service work; went to school in Baltimore; was sent overseas to Japan, Philippines, Okinawa, then back to the Philippines. Was overseas 18 months.


      MARIETTA HENRIE, 8th child of Daniel & Elzina (Stringham) Henrie, was b. 7 Oct. 1892, Ferron, Emery Co., Utah [bapt. 6 July 1902, end. & H. 1920s]; m. 1920s, in Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to Oscar Devon LeaMaster, s. of Jesse L. & Sarah (Larsen) LeaMaster. He was b. 21 May 1902, in Castle Dale, Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. 1920s].

      Marietta was reared on a farm near Ferron, where she was initiated into [p. 88] church work and elementary education. She was just a little girl with black pig-tails and freckles and loved to play ball and sing. In June the family moved from Ferron to LaSal, Utah, by team and wagon. A brother had filed on 160 acres of land in that region and all worked very hard that summer clearing the land of sagebrush and building a house which had to be completed before the cold winter came.

      In Sept. of that year Marietta and her father returned to Ferron to dispose of the farm and to take back some cows. one day he was feeding the stock and was struck in the ribs by one of the colts jumping and striking him with its leg or hoof. Two broken bones necessitated his lying around for a time till he was able to travel. When he was able he drove the wagon and team and Marietta rode a horse and drove the cows the entire distance to LaSal.

      At LaSal Marietta met Oscar Devon LeaMaster, who with his family had moved to LaSal from Moab, Utah. They commenced keeping company in 1919. He was called to fill a mission for the church in 1920, with headquarters in the central states, where he labored for 2 years. They were married in 1923 and lived in LaSal for some time before moving to Hiawatha. Oscar worked in a coal mine, first as a digger, but soon advanced to a nipper, a motorman, then to cutting and loading machines.

      In 1928 they bought a farm and orchard at Ferron and besides regular farming raised fruit and livestock. Here he served as secretary and then president of the Elders Quorum, then as 2nd counselor in the Bishopric. In the spring of 1938 his father died and they went to Provo for the funeral. They decided to move there, since the doctor had advised him to quit hard farm labor. They located in the Manavu Ward and Oscar taught the Gospel Doctrine class and was Ward teacher; Marietta was made 2nd counselor in the Primary. In 1939 they bought a home in the Pioneer Ward.

      As their family grew up, they felt the need for a larger place than a house and lot and bought 5 acres of land in Springville. The boys, however, were not inclined along the lines of farming and livestock but preferred to use their brains and hands along mechanical lines.

      Oscar later worked at the State Hospital as an attendant and was promoted to a supervisor. He resigned this position to work for Sears Roebuck & Co., at Provo, as a salesman. He soon became division manager of the farm department and then went into the furniture department.

      As members of 2nd Ward, Kolob Stake in Springville, Oscar worked in the Y.M.M.I.A. as second counselor. Marietta was Primary chorister, Relief Society chorister, as work meeting class leader and visiting teacher in Relief Society. She belonged to Camp Aaron Johnson D.U.P., acting as secretary to this camp.

      Marietta and Oscar had 4 children:

1.       Kent Devon LeaMaster, b. 1920s; m. Wanda Wright.

2.       Jesse D. LeaMaster, b. 1920s.

3.       Joyce LeaMaster, b. 1920s; m. Joseph Don Broadhead.

4.       Parley V. LeaMaster, b. 1930s.

      KENT DEVON LEA MASTER, b. 1920s, Hiawatha, Carbon Co., Utah, son of Marietta & Oscar Devon LeaMaster [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, in Provo, Utah, to Wandra Wright, dau. of Lorin Atkinson & Orlinda or Linda Ann (Winterton) Wright. She was b. 1920s, in Provo [bapt. 1930s]. [p. 89]

      Kent Devon Lea Master at 18 was working at the Geneva Steel Plant at Provo, while waiting for his induction into the service of World War II. He received his call July 1943. His parents had hoped he would be able to enter the Army Band, as he had played a cornet all through his junior and senior high school years and had played and marched in the school bands. This was not to his liking, however, and after his basic training he joined the paratroopers and was sent to Ft. Benning, Georgia, in December. He completed 9 weeks of intensive training and graduated from basic courses in communications. The school is one of five specialist schools, offered only to better qualified men.

      From Ft. Benning he was shipped to England on the “Queen Elizabeth.” While at Ft. Benning he made 9 jumps, 1 in England, and 1 in France. In England he was assigned to the 101st Division and was in training there from June to Sept. 1944. From England they flew to Holland to help drive the Germans out (here they were known as the Eagle Division). As he and two companions were landing by parachutes, they were fired upon by a Ggerman artillary gun. They tried to hide in a ditch of dirty muddy water as the German was hot after them. They kept firing and shrapnel was flying all around,. Before the boys ran the German out, a piece of shrapnel buried itself in Kent’s foot. A medic put him on a bicycle with a flat tire. He laughs when he tells about that ride, as it was hard to peddle and gain any speed. A jeep took him to an airplane and he was flown to Brussels and put in a Catholic hospital for one day. From there he was flown back to England.

      A paragraph taken from a history of the 101st Airborne Division the day they made the jump in Holland: “Flack came a few minutes before the drop zones and many sticks of chutists leaped from flaming planes held steadily on course until all occupants were out. Later troopers lauded the courage of the pilots who held their planes in formation and even lessened speed during the jump in spite of intense anti-aircraft fire. Only after the Airborne had left their ships did the pilots attempt to take any evasive action against the heavy ack-ack. In many cases it was too late and the drop zones were dotted with black smoke where their planes had crashed.”

      Kent was in the hospital for 3 months when one day the nurse removed the bandages from his foot and started the wound to hemorrhaging. They had to hurry and tie the blood vessels without anesthetic for he was fast bleeding to death.

      After leaving the hospital in England he was sent back into combat to France and all through Germany. He was promoted to corporal, then sergeant, and staff sergeant. His division, the 101st with units of French armies, captured the beautiful Berchtesgarden (Hitler’s Eagle Nest). Hitler and his officers were living there at the time; they had taken it from Austria. It is located in the Austrian Alps. The boys had a rest period here and it was a paradise to battle-weary soldiers. Germans waited on them, with Nazi-wise discretion, and treated the conquerors like kings. Now travelers from all over the world visit this place as one of the most beautiful sight seeing spots in the world.

      After serving for 2½ years, Kent was discharged 3 Jan. 1946.

      After Kent returned home he worked at different jobs. He then decided to learn a trade so he went to work for Custom Floor Co., laying carpet, tile, linoleum, etc. He now has a paying business with his brother-in-law, Eldon F. Lewis.

      Wanda, his wife, went through the schools at Provo. She was a member of the Pep Club at high school and graduated from a business course. After her marriage she worked in the office at Ironton Plant in Provo, and later in the office of the Security Title & Abstract Co. in Provo. [p. 90] Kent Devon & Wanda (Wright) LeaMaster had 2 children, b. in Provo, Utau:

(1)       Gary Grant LeaMaster, b. 1940s.

(2)       Boyd Michael LeaMaster, b. 1940s.

      JESSE D. LEA MASTER, son of Oscar Devon & Marietta (Henrie) LeaMaster, was b. 4 Feb.1926, in Hiawatha, Utah [bapt. 1930s]; not married. He joined the Navy 3 Feb. 1944 and left for Fort Douglas on his birthday, 4 Feb. 1944. From there he was sent to Farragut, Idaho, for his boot training; from Idaho to Wahpeton, North Dakota, to Electricians Training School; then to Naval State School of Science. From there he was assigned to the ship U.S.S.L.C.I. (L 511) and sailed for England, where he served 4 months there and in France. This ship carried wounded soldiers across the English Channel. He then came back to the United States, to Norfolk, Va., to amphibious training base, Fort Pierce, Fla., then to Tampa, Fla., then to Naval Mines Depot at Yorktown, Va., a secret training base. He advanced during this time to apprentice seaman first class, then to fireman 1/c, then to electrician 3/c. After serving 2½ years in the Navy he was honorably discharged June 5, 1946. He came home and went to work for the Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Co.; later he worked for H. G. Blumenthal Co. of Provo to learn the trade of tinsmith. He then decided he liked plumbing and started out as apprentice. He is now a licensed plumber.

      JOYCE LEA MASTER, dau. of Oscar Devon & Marietta (Henrie) LeaMaster, was b. 1920s, Mohrland, Emery Co., Utah [bapt. 1930s-7]; m. 1940s, Provo, Utah, 3rd Ward, to Joseph Don Broadhead, s. of Spencer Norton & Josie Elizabeth (Smith) Broadhead. He was b. 1920s, Rupert, Minidoka Co., Idaho [bapt. 1930s].

      Joyce was active in music all through her school years; she played the piano in church and on school programs; served as organist in Junior Sunday School and the Y.W.M.I.A. of the Pioneer Ward. She had one of the leading parts in the high school opera for two years. She enrolled as a special music student at the Brigham Young University but found it difficult to work and go to school, so she took a job as full-time telephone operator and worked for 2 years. After Joyce married Joseph Don, they lived in the Springville 9th Ward, where he served as Ward Teacher. He works in the payroll office of the Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Co. They had 2 children:

1.       Terry Don Broadhead, b. 1950s, Provo, Utah.

2.       Vickie Broadhead, b. 1950s, Provo.

      PARLEY V. LEA MASTER, b. 13 Jan. 134, in Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1940s]. Parley has taken an active part in church and school with his singing. He sang in the Provo Tabernacle in Primary Stake Conference when he was 7 yrs. old; has taken part in junior and senior high school operas and choruses. He was treasurer of the Deacons Quorum in 1948 and counselor in Teachers Quorum in 1950. After graduating from Springville High School in 1952, he left for [p. 91] Priest River, Idaho, to work for the Government in the forest in blister rust control. In the fall he enrolled at the U.S.A.C. at Logan, Utah. The following spring he returned to Priest River to work in the forest as a junior checker and forest fire guard. The next fall he enrolled at the U.S.A.C. again, taking a business course in merchandising. He is also a member of the R.O.T.C.


      ADA RAE HENRIE, b. 13 Oct. 1899-1900, at Ferron, Utah, dau. of Daniel & Elzina (Stringham) Henrie [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1920s]; m. 1910s, in Moab, Grand Co., Utah, to William Ray Somerville, s. of William & Rosanna Pierce (Stewart) Somerville. He was b. 5 Apr. 1894, in Moab [bapt. 31 May 1902, end. 1920s].

      His mother died when he was just 2½ years old. He had one sister, Rose Anna. After his mother’s death, his aunt Emma McConkie, who was a widow, came from Mona, Utah, with her family of 3 boys and 1 girl to live with Ray and his father and sister. He attended church regularly and completed his schooling at Moab. His sister Anna died at the age of 18, leaving just him and his father. They moved to LaSal, San Juan Co., and settled on a dry farm.

      Ada Rae attended church as often as she could as they lived far out of town, her mother was ill most of the time, and her father was away to work. She completed her schooling at Ferron. In June 1916 her family moved into LaSal and settled on a dry farm.

      On the 4 July 1916, while enjoying a fishing trip in the mountains, Ada Rae became acquainted with William Ray Somerville and they were married a few months later. They made a 35 mile drive to Moab through a heavy snowstorm for the ceremony; Bishop John Peterson married them. After a honeymoon of 3 days in Moab, they returned to LaSal, where they became active in church affairs, he as ward clerk and ward teacher and she as 2nd counselor in the Y.W.M.I.A. and Relief Society teacher and chorister. Each time a new baby was born it required a move to Moab for 3 or 4 weeks as there was no doctor in LaSal. They later moved to Ferron with their family and Ray’s father, who had lived with them since their marriage. They went by way of a team and uncovered wagon, the trip requiring 8 days. Here they again affiliated themselves with the church, she as chorister and teacher in the Primary, theology leader in Sunday School, and Relief Society visiting teacher.

      During the 36 years of their marriage they have had some hardships which made them wiser and more broad-minded. They went to the temple in 1927 and had their family sealed to them. Then for 10 years Ada was not privileged to work in any of the church organizations as her mother needed her care—she was 96 years old 5 Nov. 1953.

      Ray holds the office of High Priest. He has been employed for many years as custodian of the South Emery High School.

      They had 6 children:

1.       Beth Rae Somerville, b. 1910s; m. Alva Ross Chappell.

2.       William Henrie Somerville, b. 1910s; m. Genevieve Brewster.

3.       Helen Rose Somerville, b. 1920s, Moab, Utah [bapt. 1930s, P. 1920s]; m. in Yuma, Ariz., to William (Bill) Allen, s. of Claud & Grace (Rawlins) Allen. He was b. 1910s [p. 92] in Kansas City, Mo. No children. After graduation from South Emery High School, Helen Rose went to Los Angeles to work in the home of her cousin and continue her schooling. She returned home for a while at the time of her youngest brother’s birth, to assist her mother. She specialized in cafe work at Nephi and St. George, Utah; in San Diego, California; Kansas City, Mo.; and Silver City, New Mex. During World War II she worked in Rohr Aircraft Factory, operating an electric riveting drill. She has been active in Bee Hive work and has performed temple baptisms for the dead. Her husband was in the Navy as a signalman from 1931-1935. He has been a painter and neon light dealer.

4.       Merna Fay Somerville, b. 1920s; m. Elden Emmanuel Wayman.

5.       Lyle D. Somerville, b. 1920s; m. Doris Elaine Wood.

6.       Drue V. Somerville, b. 1930s, Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1940s]. Drue holds the office of a Deacon and is soon to be ordained a Teacher. He is a second class scout and active in church duties.

      BETH RAE SOMERVILLE, dau. of William Ray & Ada Rae (Henrie) Somerville, was b. 1910s, Moab, Grand Co., Utah [bapt. 1920s, P. 1920s]; m. 1930s, Ferron, Utah, to Alva Ross Chappell, s. of Conrad Thomas & Frances Valate (Golden) Chappell. He was b. 1910s, in Nephi, Juab Co., Utah.

      Beth Rae was blessed with a mother who possessed a most congenial nature and a kind loving disposition. She saw to it that her family were provided with suitable companions and their home was one of love and happiness. Three years after her graduation from high school she went to Los Angeles, Calif., to work for a doctor and his wife; later she went to San Diego and worked as a maid in the home of a millionaire. Beth and Alva had become acquainted while he was in the C.C.C. camp at Ferron, Utah. After his father’s death he went to San Diego, where he found work which enabled him to assist his mother and young brothers and sisters. Here they met again and soon returned to Ferron where they were married at her mother’s home. They returned to San Diego, then to Los Vegas where Alva worked for Basic Magnesium. They moved once again to San Diego, where they have resided the past 9 years.

      Alva was in the National Guard Unit Field Artillery and served 9 years. In 1936 he enrolled in the C.C.C. at Mt. Pleasant, Utah, but due to his father’s death he was given his discharge.

      During his youth and while a member of the Y.M.M.I.A. Alva became a 2nd grade scout. Some time during his earlier life he was a tuna fisherman for 7 years and was in all the South American countries.

      Both Beth and Alva have been active in Church, she as 2nd counselor in Primary and as boys’ instructor, and visiting teacher in Relief Society. They had 3 children:

1.       Conrad Stewart Chappell, b. 1930s, Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1940s]. He has won honor certificates for the largest number of books read in one year and for services rendered in the principal’s office; has trophies for metal work; is an excellent swimmer; first-class scout; and active in church duties. [p. 93]

2.       Steven Ross Chappell, son of Alva Ross & Beth Rae (Somerville) Chappell, b. 1940s, Los Vegas, Nev. [bapt. 1950s].

3.       Bruce Spencer Chappell, b. 1940s, San Diego, Calif., d. 1940s.

      WILLIAM HENRIE SOMERVILLE, b. 1910s, Moab, Utah, s. of William Ray & Ada Rae (Henrie) Somerville [bapt. 1920s, end. 1940s, P. 1920s]; m. 1940s, Manti (L.D.S. Temple), to Genevieve Brewster, dau. of Albert & Zelda (Fullmer) Brewster. She was b. 1920s, Eureka, Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. & H. 1940s].

      William moved with his parents from Moab to Ferron, Utah, where he received his early schooling. He graduated from South Emery High School, where he participated in basketball 2 years. He had one yeaer at Carbon Jr. College, majoring in carpentry. After his marriage he was employed in various work as an electrician’s helper at Las Vegas, Nev.; carpentry for 11 months at Horse Canyon mine, above Price, Utah; was a coal miner; and fireman on a railroad.

      He was inducted into the armed forces in World War II, with training at Ft. Douglas, Utah, and Walters, Tex. He was then shipped overseas. After maneuvering around the San Francisco coast for some weeks, he sailed for New Hebrides Island, then Hollandia, Layte, and Luzon. “At Layte we were bombed a couple of times, without serious results. At Luzon we went into combat for 165 consecutive days without a break. During this time we changed clothes once and took a bath in our helmets.” He received two Combat Stars, the Good Conduct Medals, and the Combat Infantry Badge. He was a machine gunner sgt.

      After his discharge from service, he returned to Ferron, Utah, where he built himself and his parents a new home, with their help. He then worked in the coal mines at Hiawatha, Utah, for 3½ yrs. as a cutting machine operator. In 1951 he moved to Salt Lake City, where he was employed at the A.R.O. Aum Pickle Co., which position he now holds.

      William was called on a stake mission in 1952 in the Wells Ward. “This work has been a great joy and inspiration to me. It has given me a stronger testimony of the gospel and a much broader outlook on life.” He was called 11 Oct. 1953 as a teacher in the Junior Men’s class in M.I.A.

      In this sketch William pays his wife a lovely tribute: “She is a kind, loving wife, a wonderful helpmate, and a good mother to our children.”

      They had 6 children:

1.       Dale Henrie Somerville, b. 1940s, Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1940s].

2.       Gayla Kay Somerville, b. 1940s, Price, Utah, d. 1940s.

3.       Carol Somerville, b. 1940s, Ferron [bapt. 1950s].

4.       Sharlene Somerville, b. 1940s, Huntington, Utah.

5.       Terry Lynn Somerville, b.3 May 1949, Price.

6.       Dennis Kay Somerville, b. 1950s, Ferron. [p. 94]

      MERNA FAY SOMERVILLE, 4th child of William Ray & Ada Rae (Henrie) Somerville, was b. 1920s, Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1930s), end. & H. 1940s]; m. 1940s, Manti (L.D.S. Temple), Elden Emmanuel Wayman, s. of Oscar Emmanuel & Florence Marie (Carlock) Wayman. He was b. 1920s, in Ferron.[bapt. 1930s, end. 1940s].

      Elden was valedictorian of his graduating class at South Emery High, where he was also editor of the school paper. He entered the Navy in 1942 and completed boot training at Farragut, Idaho. He graduated 2 June 1943 from radio school at the University of Idaho. On June 3 he returned to Ferron and on June 7 was married to Merna Fay in the Manti Temple. On June 9 he reported back to the Navy at San Francisco and was assigned to the Ship U.S.S. Ganymede (A K-104), a cargo ship, as radio operator. They sailed for the Far East to Melbourne, Australia, from where they hauled troops and supplies to New Guinea where the Allies were pushing the Japs back. There were 2 missions on New Guinea, one at Finschauffen, then at Hollandia. Outside of bombarding the coast to soften up the Japs, very little action was seen there. At New Brittain he went ashore on a hunting and fishing trip, shot some vampire bats (believed to be sacred to the island natives—their bodies were like brown puppies with heads about the size of his fist).

      At Sidney, Australia, he visited the L.D.S. mission home with the ship’s baker, who was the only other L.D.S. member aboard the Ganymede at that time. His firs trip overseas was from 13 July 1943 to 20 Aug. 1944, returning by way of Panama Canal. He was reassigned to the U.S.S. Gayety (A.M.-237), a mine sweeper. He worked in precommission detail, installing radio equipment. His rating was Radioman 1/C. On his way again to the Pacific combat zone, he stopped at the Hawaiian Islands where he visited briefly with his brother Elmer who was in the Navy attached to the Marines. While at the Hawaiian Islands a catapult was installed on the ship, from which they launched radio controlled airplanes.

      On 23 Mar. 1945 they were sweeping mines in the waters off Okinawa. On Apr. 1 the invasion fleet arrived and the Okinawa campaign was officially begun. During the day they would sweep for mines and at night they would patrol for enemy submarines.

      At about 11 P.M. on March 27, 1945, an enemy bomber appeared in the bright moonlight although not visible to them except by radar. They were patrolling against submarines just outside the harbor at Kerama Rhetto where a huge allied task force lay at anchor, under a man-made smoke screen. The plane passed overhead and dropped a bomb just about 3 minutes after the “man your battle stations” had been sounded. It exploded near the stern of the ship, showering shrapnel all over. Five men were killed instantly, others died later. A large piece of shrapnel went through the hull of the ship and tore through the middle of Elden’s mattress where he had been sleeping 3 minutes earlier. he had been on radio duty for 72 hours without sleep at this time. The ship was hovering under cover of the smoke screen when the plane was heard overhead again and flares were dropped by the Jap pilot, but the Gayety was safely under cover. It was reported sunk by Tokyo Rose over radio the next day.

      The dead were removed from the ship about noon the following day and buried in an Allied cemetery on the Kerama Rhetto Islands. It was well kept and peaceful looking, located in a quiet valley when Elden visited it last.

      During minesweeping operations nearer the Japanese mainland, the squadron was attacked by baco bombs (bombs with wings, dropped from planes and guided by suicide pilots). one barely missed the ship. Another crashed into the side of the Gayety, with bullets riddling into it from their guns as it approached. luckily it did not explode, but several men were knocked overboard by its debris. Several received the Purple Heart; others were transferred [p. 95] to the hospital for combat fatigue. After the Japanese surrender, the Gayety swept channels for the Occupation Forces to land in ports in northern Hanshu. In one lap 20 mines were floated in in 20 minutes.

      In Nov. 1945 Elden returned to the United States and was honorably discharged. In Nov. 1946 he went into the Naval Reserve. In Jan. 1947 he was back on active duty. In Nov. 1949 he left the Navy and enlisted in the Army as Sgt. F/C. In 1952 he went to Officers Candidate school and graduated as a 2nd Lt. He is now going to Germany as a Radio Officer in the Signal Corps, U.S. Army.

      In 1940 to 1942 he was a ward teacher at Ferron, Emery Stake; Utah Stake secretary, Y.M.M.I.A. 1940 to 1941. In the Valencia Park Ward, San Diego Stake, he was a ward teacher 1946-1949, also activity counselor in M.I.A. Eastern States Mission, 2nd Counselor in the Branch Presidency at Long Branch New Jersey, 1950-51; 2nd Counselor, Sunday School, Long Branch, 1952.

      Merna Fay was Relief Society teacher, Eastern States Mission; also Sunday School secretary 1950 to 1951. In 1952 she attended the L.D.S. Pageant at Hill Cumorah near Palmyra, and slept on a blanket on Hill Cumorah one night.

      Merna Fay and Elden had 2 children:

1.       Blake Elden Wayman, b. 1940s, Ferron, Utah. Figuring the time change at Okinawa and Ferron, he was born at the same time the bomb hit his father’s ship—11 A.M. Mountain Standard Time.

2.       Sonya Kay Wayman, b. 1940s, San Diego, Calif.

      LYLE D. SOMERVILLE, s. of William Ray & Ada Rae (Henrie) Somerville, was b. 1920s, in Ferron, Utah [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1950s, in Salt Lake City, Utah, to Doris Elaine Wood, dau. of Charles Hiram & Saidee Eliza (Pace) Wood. She was b. 1930s, in Jasper, Mo.

      When Lyle graduated from Primary his teacher rewarded him with a baseball glove and bat for his achievements and his perfect attendance.

      The morning after his graduation from South Emery High School in 1948 he enlisted in the U.S. Navy for 4 years. He had 3 months boot training in San Diego, Calif., and 13 weeks at a Diesel mechanics school. From San Diego he was shipped to Guam for 6 months, then to Kawoyalien Island for 7 months. Here he was stationed on a tug boat. His first leave of absence to the U.S. (38 days) was by way of this tug boat towed by another ship. When he returned to duty he was assigned to Treasure Island to a D.C. Destroyer “The Daniel A. Joy.” This ship sailed up the Mississippi River to Chicago for training reserves. It was the first ship of its size to sail the river. The mast had to be taken off and pontoons put back underneath her.

      His next transfer was back to San Diego aboard the “Frank Knox” where he spent 2 years, 9½ months of which were spent in Korean waters. one morning while loading ammunition and supplies, and the ocean was rough and wild, the men had a frightening experience. As the ship had no railing, the men had little to keep them from being washed into the sea. Lyle said: “A wave, thought to be at least 36 feet high, rolled upon us and all but swept the deck from being washed over board. I was thrown against the bulkhead, bruising one leg and arm, and I surely thought my time had come but my prayers and those of my mother who knew at that hour that I was in trouble, saved my life.”

      After a week of rest at Formosa, Lyle returned to his ship. he escorted a big airplane carrier the Philippine Sea through the Korean waters and elsewhere. He won 3 Battle Stars and held the rating of Engineman 2/C. After his discharge from service he located in Salt Lake City as a Diesel mechanic, where he met and married Doris Elaine Wood. [p. 96]