Chapter XI
James Henrie

      JAMES HENRIE, second child of William & Myra (Mayall) Henrie, was b. 18 Sept. 1827, in Miami or Colerain, Hamilton Co., Ohio [bapt. 1842-3, end. 10 Nov. 1855, P. 1940s in Manti Temple. No doubt he was sealed to his parents at an earlier date but the record could not be found, and upon advice of the president of Salt Lake Temple, Bro. Chipman, the work was done at this date.] He d. 1910s, Panguitch, Utah, and was bur. there Feb. 14.

      James Henrie m. (1) 28 Dec. 1850, in South Bountiful, Utah, to Rhoana Hatch, dau. of Ira Sterns & Weltha (Bradford) Hatch. She was b.19 May 1832, Farmersville, Cattaraugus Co., New York [bapt. June 1843, end. & H. 10 Nov. 1855, Salt Lake Endowment House], d. 1920s, in Panguitch, Utah.

      He m. (2) 6 Dec. 1861, to Christena Schow, dau. of Niels Christian & Mary (Christiansen) Schow. She was b.19 Jan. 1844, in Alborg, Alborg, Denmark [bapt. 13 Apr. 1851, end. & H. 6 Dec. 1861], d. 1920s, Panguitch, Utah, bur. there 17 Oct.

      He m. (3) 18 June 1879, to Gedske Schow, half sister of Christena Schow, dau. of Niels Christian & Ane Marie Kirstine (Rasmussen) Schow. She was b. 20 Sept. 1864, Mantua, Box Elder Co., Utah [bapt. 16 June 1875, end. & H. 18 June 1879], d. 1930s, at Panguitch, Utah, and bur. There 31 July.

      The following history of James Henrie was written by his two youngest daughters, Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell and Myra Rhoana (Henrie) Cameron:

      JAMES HENRIE spent his boyhood days in Colerain, Hamilton Co., Ohio, some 14 miles from Cincinnati. He helped his mother with domestic affairs and his father in the mills. He said, “I learned to read, write and cipher tolerably well up to my 14th year; then my school days ended.” His mother was a school teacher, a fine seamstress and cook, and it was from her that he received his meager education.

      Since his father was a millwright, owning a grist mill and saw mill, James was naturally inclined to like millwork and later in life owned mills of his own. He was known to be one of the best woodsman in his day, leading all competitors with the ax.

      At an early date James took a great interest in attending the meetings of the different denominations of the day, especially the camp meetings and revivals. His father and mother were methodists. The sectarian ministers met at his father’s home many times to refute Mormonism, but they were badly beaten. He loved to hear the discussions between the Mormon elders and the ministers. When he was ten years old his father was converted to the Gospel as taught by the Mormon elders. James witnessed several miraculous healings in his boyhood days, and later in life he was healed from very serious illnesses by the administration of the elders. [p. 153]

[p. 154]

      In the spring of 1841 all the Henrie family except James emigrated to Nauvoo so they could be with the Saints while building that city. They went by boat down the Ohio and up the Mississippi Rivers. James went with the hired men, taking their teams, wagons, and belongings overland through the states of Indiana and Illinois. They suffered many hardships on that trip, from heavy storms, mudholes, severe cold weather, and high water in the rivers and creeks from the spring runoff. Several times they nearly perished from thirst on the prairies. One incident James definitely remembered, that of getting a drink from a tar bucket swung on the back of the wagon that had filled with water while crossing a river. He said he was more thankful for that water than he ever was for anything else in his life.

      When they arrived at Nauvoo they started breaking up land on the farm his father had bought from the Prophet Joseph. James spent his young manhood days in Nauvoo helping to build it up and hauled many loads of rock for the Nauvoo Temple.

      When Nauvoo was under marshal law he stood guard. Although young, he was very ambitious and ready to help in any way he could because he loved the Prophet very much. He became well acquainted with Joseph as he would stop and visit the family on his way to and from his own farm a little farther out from the city. James saw his father and the Prophet wrestle sideholts for an hour at a time; and while his father could throw the Prophet frequently, Joseph would always come out ahead, but they were always good sports. While visiting at the house, his mother would give the Prophet a baked potato or a bow of buttermilk, or perhaps a piece of pie. When he would leave he always asked God to bless them, and James declared he felt the spirit and power of God come with those blessings in so much that he knew beyond any question of doubt that he was a Prophet of God, and he loved him better than anyone he ever knew in his life.

      James remembered well when the Prophet, his brother Hyrum, and Brothers Taylor and Richards went to Carthage Jail. The Prophet borrowed one of their horses for John Taylor to ride, and as they passed the Henrie home the horse whinnied and the family went to the door. The Prophet raised his hat and said, “God bless you.” He could not describe his feelings later when he heard that Joseph and Hyrum had been killed by the mob. He saw their bodies after they were dead.

      He heard Joseph’s last speech to the Nauvoo Legion. He was dressed in his uniform and it made a deep impression upon him.

      He and his brother Daniel were at the meeting when the mantle of Joseph fell upon Brigham Young. James said Brigham’s appearance was that of Joseph Smith, and his voice was as though Joseph was standing there talking. So the Saints knew that Brigham Young was to be their leader, although other men had felt that they were the ones to be chosen.

      June 18, 1905. Sacrament Meeting. — A notable incident of the meeting was the presence of five Nauvoo veterans, all brothers and sister of one family, namely: Daniel Henrie of Manti, Utah. Joseph Henrie of Idaho. Margaret Henrie Daley of San Bernardino, California. James and Samuel Henrie of this place. Brothers Daniel and James each addressed the meeting and bore strong testimonies of the divinity of the mission of Joseph Smith the Prophet. Taken from Church Records of the Panguitch Ward. [p. 155]

      His father’s family covenanted while at Nauvoo they would help the poor to the mountains. James kept that covenant, helping in many ways, driving their ox teams across sloughs, mudholes, and rivers of quick sand. He drove five yoke of cattle across the plains for his board, and helped to build three resting places for the weary Saints between Nauvoo and Salt Lake City. His motive for coming to the mountains was like that of all other Latter-day Saints—freedom of worship and the association of relatives and friends. He took his and his father’s teams and made several trips back to Winter Quarters to help the Saints into Utah.

      His father left Nauvoo in the spring of 1846 with President Brigham Young and the first company of pioneers to come to Utah. He was one of the Fifth Ten in the company.

      James stayed at Winter Quarters to help his mother and family. They came on in 1848. From Nauvoo they came by way of Council Bluffs, Winter Quarters, Elkhorn, Ft. Laramie, and Ft. Bridger. When his older brother Daniel was called into the Mormon Battalion, James took his place night-herding the cattle, keeping them from straying too far and the Indians from stealing them. He helped build up temporary quarters where the traveling pioneers could rest. He helped build up temporary quarters where the traveling pioneers could rest and also planted crops to provide food. He was called to go down into Missouri and labor for food, clothing, and some money for the needy.

      In the spring of 1849 they left Winter Quarters and started on West. (One account says they crossed the river on the Fourth of July.) He came under the command of Allen Taylor and Samuel Snyder over Fifty men, George Snyder over Ten. He made some acquaintances and formed some associations with the California emigrants en route to the gold fields. On this part of the journey he stood guard one third of each night. Their cattle would often stampede and general chaos would prevail, cattle and wagons going every direction.

      One day as they were moving along, the crack of a limb gave the cattle a fright. James left his team and caught the leaders of the next one behind him, wheeling them around, managing to save them from running with a family, which perhaps saved their lives. Meltiah Hatch, a friend of James and an expert horseman, would often perform heroic work by riding ahead of the stampeding cattle, causing them to run in a circle until they could be quieted down.

      They arrived in Salt Lake City 20 Sept. 1849, thinking and hoping they would settle in or near the city, but in a short time they received a call to go into Davis County to help settle that part of the country. James settled at Sessions (now South Bountiful). He married Rhoana Hatch in December 1850 and built up three places while living in Davis County. (See pictures, pp. 12, 153)

      In the fall of 1853 James was called by President Young to go to Ft. Hall, Oregon, taking charge of a company of men and teams to bring to Utah the merchandise and equipment the church had bought from an English fur company. This was a hard trip, as the roads were bad and the weather was rough.

      In the winter of 1853 he was called to Manti, Utah, to help strengthen the settlement from the invasion of the Indians. He helped build a large fort while there. [p. 156]

      James Henrie took an active part in all the Indian wars in every place he lived and was in many dangerous positions. He could have qualified for an Indian War Veteran’s Pension but refused it. He treated the Indians fairly and justly whenever possible, dividing food and clothing with them, and they considered him a big chief among the Mormons.

      When peace was declared with the Indians he returned to Davis County where he helped his father build the first grist mill. He was a good farmer and blessed in his efforts of raising wheat during the grasshopper and cricket famines. He shared wheat and flour with his brothers and sisters and Indians when he could have sold it to the California emigrants for a dollar per pound. He also loaded up a four-horse load of wheat and hauled it to Salt Lake City, unloaded it in the old tithing office, and donated it to the temple workers.

      When this kindly act toward the temple workers was called to the attention of President Young, the latter looked him up, placed his arm around him and promised him he would never be without flour for his family as long as he lived; and although he had three wives and thirty children, besides the Indian boy (rearing 22 of them to maturity and marrying them off, and burying eight of them in childhood) this promise was literally fulfilled. The nearest to a break was with his third family while they were living at Fredonia, Ariz. He had the flour but the snow was so deep he could not freight it over the mountain. As a result, the family had to live on cornmeal ground in a coffee mill, mixed with a tiny bit of flour each batch. They were eating the last batch when James arrived and some of them vowed they would never eat cornmeal bread again but afterward repented and learned to love it.

      On one occasion President Young came up to James, took him by the beard (he always wore a long beard), shook his head a little and said: “Jim, you should have another wife.” James was very much surprised and said, “Well, I thought polygamy was for the big men in the Church.” President Young answered, “It is for men like you, and if you will talk to your wife about it and pray about it, I have no doubt you will enter into it.” He did talk to his wife about it and they both prayed about it, and as a result he married the woman of their choice in Dec. 1861, Miss Christena Schow. (Pictures, pp. 12 and 153.)

      Not long after his second marriage he, his brother Samuel, and the Schow families were called to Panaca, Lincoln Co., Nevada, on a mission to help with the settlement of that place. In this capacity he met a number of the leading men of the state.

      He was the president and superintendent of the co-op store in Panaca, which position he held until the company was dissolved. He owned stock in the Washington County woolen and cotton mills, the Orderville woolen mill, and the Burr mill at Kanab.

      While in Panaca he was chosen counselor to Samuel Lee, who was the presiding elder, then counselor to the bishop, and finally bishop of the Panaca Ward. He took an active part in religious and benevolent activities wherever he lived.

      Freighting merchandise and supplies from Salt Lake City to Panaca was a major operation in those days. They would make one trip in the spring and one in the fall, and it would take better than a month to make the trip. Vet (Sylvester), the Indian boy, was a good teamster and James would trust him [p. 157] with his big outfits to make the trip sometimes. Vet was also a fine violinist, played by ear. He would go to the musicals while in the city, learn the pieces, and when he returned would go to Pioche and play for the dances. The Pioche miners said Vet was the only musician that could make them cry playing a solo and the very next minute make them feel like jumping out of their shoes on the dance floor.

      In those days the Pioche miners were very bitter against the Mormons. Some of the old Missouri mob had come west with these miners and stopped at Pioche. One day they mounted their horses, armed themselves, and rode to Panaca. They stopped in front of James’ house, called him out, and told him they had come to drive the Mormons out or kill them. He had been expecting some such demonstration, so he said, “All right, gentlemen, fire your first shot at me, but remember, that shot will be a signal for my men to fire at you. They are looking through the sights of their guns at you right now and every one of you will drop from your horses, dead.” There were no shots fired

      In 1871 the President of the Church released the Saints from the Panaca mission on account of the bitter opposition of the Pioche miners and the controversy over the taxes whether they belonged to Utah or Nevada. He told them they could go wherever they wanted to but he would like James and Samuel Henrie, with their families, also Grandfather Schow and his family, to go over to Panguitch on the head of the Sevier River and help settle that part of the state of Utah. They really wanted to go back to Davis County, but an indication from the President meant the same as a “call.” So they made preparations to move to Panguitch. When they arrived the women were very discouraged. Cold winters and short growing seasons made them think it would be next to impossible to live there and rear their families, but that call from the President of the Church helped them to make up their minds to stay on.

      In Panguitch, as in other settlements he had lived in, James soon became active in civic and church activities, acted as counselor to Bishop George W. Sevy for sometime, whom he loved very dearly.

      When the Panguitch Stake was organized 23 April 1877 by President John Taylor, he set James apart as the first president of this stake, with George W. Sevy and Jesse W. Crosby as his counselors. He held this position until 1882 when he was released on account of ill health and defective hearing. He was also made colonel of cavalry, first sergeant of first company, 23 Apr. 1877 by President John Taylor.

      Francis M. Lyman, John H. Smith, and Erastus Snow were at the conference in Panguitch at the time James was ordained a patriarch by Erastus Snow, 18 June 1882.

      During the time he was president of the stake, he married 18 June 1879 Miss Gedske Schow, a half-sister of his second wife Christena, in the St. George Temple, by President David Cannon.

      He built three nice homes for his three wives in Panguitch during the troublesome times they had with the government over the question of polygamy. He was arrested and fined a considerable amount of money by the Judge for practicing polygamy. (The judge told him afterward he had forgotten to add [p. 158] the prison term but would do so next time they caught him.) He refused to abandon his third wife and young family. The deputy U.S. marshals were trying to bring him before the courts again, making life so miserable for them he decided to move his third wife to Fredonia, Arizona, where the marshals could not go to arrest him. She and the family lived there until May 1904 when they moved back to Panguitch.

      In the early days of Panguitch, James and his brother Samuel moved their grist mill from Panaca to Panguitch, where flour was ground for the community for many years. They also owned the first saw mill there. He promoted a tannery and shoe shop where they made the only shoes obtainable for some time They made good saddles and harness at the same time.

      He was a manager of the co-op store there for many years. Later he entered a partnership with John E. Myers and his brother Samuel in what was known as the Myers and Henrie store

      He was a lover of fine livestock. He had three full-blooded stallions in his big barn at one time, a Perchion, a Clydesdale, and a Hamiltonian. He brought the first herd of sheep into Garfield County. That herd continued on the ranges there for about eighty years. He always kept blooded cattle, sheep, and hogs.

      He bought some of the finest farm lands and ranches in the area, usually choosing the natural meadow lands for the production of wild hay, for wintering the livestock in connection with the grain straw.

      After Joining the church, he spent his life in helping to build temples churches, schools, roads, bridges, and all other improvements that go to make up community life. He held every position in the church up to and including president of the stake and patriarch, also every office in the county up to and including judge and selectman. He held many positions in business institutions and was never asked to resign a position in his life.

      He believed in paying an honest tithing and was told by the general authorities that the Henrie family were among the very best of all the tithe payers in the entire church.

      He never forced his council on anyone; but when he spoke, men usually listened and followed his advice, to their advantage. He was an organizer of men, and when he had work to do with hired men, the work and men were organized and always got good results.

      He taught his family to get along with everyone. If they found someone they could not get along with, they were told to leave them strictly alone and not have any dealings with them. Thus they could go along and still be friends.

      He played an outstanding role in the life of the Indian boy Sylvester, known generally as Vet. James traded a horse for him when he was six years old. His parents thought they could steal him back and told him to hide under a bridge, but Vet did not want to go back. He wanted to stay with James and Rhoana. They reared him to manhood, giving him the same opportunities they gave their own children. There were many Indian children sold to [p. 159] the whites about this time and in the early days of colonizing. The Indians had more children than they could feed and were hungry, so they let the white buy them If they refused to take these children, they were usually destroyed by the Indians; hence the whites bought the children to save them from being killed. Sylvester lived with his foster parents till he was middle-aged; then he went to Arizona and married an Indian woman. They had one child. He later returned to Panguitch. He had been exposed to smallpox and died while he was home on a visit. His wife went to Panguitch after his death and the baby died there. She lived with Rhoana one year, then went back to her people in Arizona. Vet was buried up Panguitch Creek.

      James divided his property among his three families just before the turn of the century, and his boys carried on the business thereafter. He died at Gedske’s home 12 Feb. 1916. He was greatly loved by his entire family and made a success of polygamous marriage. He said it was like being on a mission all the time. There we e never known to be any quarrels among his wives or children that amounted to anything. They always loved each other and do now.

      The following sketch of RHOANA (HATCH) HENRIE, first wife of James Henrie was prepared by her granddaughters, Fanella (Heywood) Sevy and Rhoana (Heywood) Sargent.

      Rhoana was the only girl in a family of seven--three boys being older three younger. Her childhood was happily spent, much as other boys and girls have good fathers and mothers and plenty to make them comfortable. Her parents were descended from the Puritans, her mother being a descendant of George Bradford and his wife Dorothy.

      Rhoana’s parents never connected themselves with any church until they were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They recognized the truth when they heard it and remarked, “That is what we have been waiting for.”

      In 1841 the Hatch family moved to Hancock Co., Illinois, where the Saint were located after their expulsion from Missouri. In 1842 came the first great sorrow of Rhoana’s life--the death of her mother. On her death bed skit called her family to her bedside and said, “You will all go to the Rocky Mountains except me.” This prophetic utterance was literally fulfilled.

      From this time on Rhoana’s life work commenced, that of taking care of children and doing things for others. Her father taught her the principles of the Gospel, which he and her mother loved. He taught her to rely implicitly upon God; thus she received an unwavering faith. He taught her the Word of Wisdom so effectively that she was never tempted to disobey the commandment. He taught her to be truthful and honest, to share with another and give the other first choice.

      While in Illinois her people shared in the persecutions heaped upon the heads of the Saints. Her father and eldest brother assisted in the Nauvoo Legion. Her father married again in Nauvoo. His wife contracted consumption from which she suffered several years. At the time the mantle fell from the Prophet Joseph to Brigham Young, Rhoana was at the meeting. She said, “It seemed as if the Prophet were speaking.” Her father said, “That is the true shepherd, hear his voice.” [p. 160]

      The Hatch family left Nauvoo in the year 1846 in President Brigham Young’s Company. Two of her brothers were called with the Mormon Battalion to march to Mexico; thus they were robbed of their aid at this perilous time, in constant danger of attack by savages, and without shelter, and with but scanty provisions.

      On the way from Elk Horn River to Cutler Park a warning voice called her name three times. No person was near. As soon as her father came she told him, and they hastily took their departure and traveled all night in order to reach the company.

      Her step-mother died at Winter Quarters, 90 she was left with the responsibility of caring for a family of children at the age of fifteen years. At Council Bluffs, not long after this, she was left for three weeks, two miles from anyone, with her little brothers who were just recovering from measles. They took the ague and for days it seemed to the distracted girl that every minute would be their last. She was also in constant fear of the Omaha Indians. When her father returned with a load of provisions, he realized her youth and her inability to bear such heavy responsibilities.

      They lived two years on the shores of Boiel Lake. When she and her brothers were rowing on the lake, the boat capsized, but they were saved from drowning.

      In July 1849 they started for Utah. Rhoana not only cooked for the family but drove an ox team and walked all the way from the Missouri River to Salt Lake Valley, arriving there September 1849. The summer after their arrival she was baptized and confirmed by Apostle Parley P. Pratt.

      On 28 December 1850, in Bountiful, Utah, she became the wife of James Henrie. Andrew Perkins performed the ceremony.

      She was always a faithful Latter-day Saint, striving to do good to all, especially those less fortunate than herself. She was treasurer of the Relief Society while they lived in Panaca. She was president of the Panguitch Relief Society from 5 June 1877 to 3 April 1882. When the wards were divided she became president of the First Ward Relief Society until 1877, when the wards were re-united and she again became president of the Panguitch Ward Relief Society until February 1897, and later made president of the Panguitch Stake Relief Societies.

      Rhoana had a fine Puritan sense of independence. She wished to be beholden to no one. She lived in her own home and cared for herself. Her eyesight remained good and she read a great deal, mostly books of a religious nature. One of her sweetest attributes was her love for little children, all with whom she came in contact. Many children loved her, but none with more respect and real affection than her own children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Many pleasant hours were spent by her friends in listening to the interesting stories of early pioneer days. For over forty years she had never tasted tea, coffee, nor any kind of intoxicating drink. She had been in six temples built by the Latter-day Saints. She had a beautiful and abiding faith in the hereafter. Death meant to her only a short journey to another world where her comrades of old waited to welcome her. She longed to go to them when her life’s work here was completed, which occurred 22 February 1923, when she was almost 91 years old. [p. 161]

      CHRISTENA SCHOW, second wife of James Henrie, first heard the Gospel in her native land of Denmark when Apostle Erastus Snow and Elder George P. Dykes, two of the first Latter-day Saint missionaries, were in that country. On 13 April 1851, she and her brothers were baptized by Elder Hans Peter Jensen.

      In 1853 they left their home and native land for Utah. They sailed to Liverpool, England, and then, on the good ship “Jessie Munn,” to New Orleans, arriving there 10 Feb. 1854. The voyage was continued up the Mississippi River to Kansas City, Missouri, where they remained for a time preparing for the Journey across the plains. They made the trek in Captain Hans Peter Olsen’s Company. Christena walked the entire distance except for two afternoons when she was privileged to ride. They arrived in Salt Lake City 5 Oct. 1854.

      Their first home was made at Bountiful, where they underwent all the hardships incident to the settlement of that country, among them the grasshopper wars. Before they had a home of their own they lived in Chris Hyrise’s stable. While there her father and two older brothers pulled the sunflowers and weeds from his large field of wheat for ten pints of flour a week. During this time she, her mother, and two brothers gathered pigweeds. They stripped the leaves and tender stems from the weeds and cooked them. Part of them were thickened with flour and baked into bread. They used sour milk, and for leavening they used the saleratus which they gathered from off the ground. (They walked a mile twice a week for skimmed milk.) The rest of the weeds were stewed and eaten with the bread. For six weeks this was the food supply for a family of seven. After the field of wheat was ripe they pulled and bound it into bundles. They were allowed to glean the heads of wheat from the edges of the field for their own use, which they thrashed with sticks and carried to the mill to be ground into flour. From that time on they were never without flour.

      One day when Christena went for milk at the neighbors, there was no one home. The door stood open and she could see a hoe-cake propped up in front of the fire in a fireplace. She was very hungry and was sorely tempted to take it, but she had power to overcome the temptation and went home without it, for which, through the years to come, she was very thankful.

      She went to William and Myra Henrie’s home for milk and became acquainted with the family. She went there to work and on 6 December 1861 she married their son James, as his second wife. His first wife, Rhoana (Hatch) Henrie, loved her very much and encouraged romance between them. She lived with James and Rhoana in their home while at Bountiful and it was here her first baby, Joseph Niels, was born. He died at the age of 10 months and was buried at Bountiful.

      They were called to help settle Panaca, Nevada, and lived there until 3 May 1871, when they moved to Panguitch. James came a little before the family with cattle, horses, etc. They moved into a log room in the fort on the public square. She moved from the fort into a home of her own in the south central part of Panguitch, where she lived until her death.

      Christena spun flax and wove it into table linen and towels. She washed and scoured the wool from sheep, corded it for bats for quilts, and spun and colored it for yarn, which she knit into stockings and socks, gloves and [p. 162] mittens for her family. Christena also spun it into warp and wove it into flannel, linsey, waterproof jeans, etc. She cut and sewed the cloth into shirts, pants, and underwear. She gathered and prepared wheat straw and made it into hats for both men and women, with flowers to trim them. She also made buckskin gloves and all those she did not need for her family she sold to the first co-op store. She cut, sewed, and wove rags into carpet for herself and others. She made her own starch from potatoes, her own soap from animal fat, using wood ashes for lye. She was a good cook and made delicious salt rising bread

      When Christena was a very young girl, her eyes were very sore and her parents took her to a patriarch. He gave her a blessing in which he told her she would get well, grow up, and eventually marry a man like the Prophet Nathan of old. He gave her many wonderful promises and said she would stand on Mount-Zion with palms of victory in her hand. She named her second son for her husband and the Prophet Nathan, James Nathan.

      She was the mother of ten children; all but one grew up and reared families of their own. Her husband married her half-sister Gedske Schow on 18 June 1879 and the three wives and their children loved and respected each other very much.

      James Henrie and his three wives were noble, worthy, full of faith and devotion, and died as they had lived in full faith of the Gospel. Their bodies are lying side by side in the Panguitch Cemetery. When Rhoana died she loved, kissed, and pressed Christena’s hand and said, “Don’t cry, we will soon be together again.”

      Ane Marie (Henrie) Excell and Myra Rhoana (Henrie) Cameron contributed the following history of Gedske (Schow) Henrie, their mother.

      GEDSKE SCHOW was the third wife of James Henrie. Her father was born at Randers Aarhus or Aartues, Denmark. He was a tailor by trade and also tied and dyed yard to shade the colors. Her mother was born at Galton Asshuns or Aartues, Denmark. The Schows were the first to embrace the Gospel, and the first to leave Denmark to come to Utah. The family settled in Box Elder Co., Utah; later they were called to Panaca, Nevada; and finally to Panguitch, Utah where Gedske’s later childhood was spent. Her schooling commenced about 1874, when she was ten years old, and it was very limited, she having never attendee grade school. Her parents died when she was 14 years old.

      For some time she worked at the co-op store under the management of James Henrie, and was married to him 18 June 1879 in the St. George Temple by President David Cannon.

      At an early age she learned to wash and card wool into bats for quilts, also how to card it into rolls to spin into yarn for stockings. She did some spinning. She was very adept at knitting; often she knit a sock in an evening while her Aunt Mary (known as Grandma Schow) told her mystery stories about the castles in Denmark. Martin Nielson, a bachelor neighbor of the family, a weaver of carpets and an expert at knitting, challenged Gedske to a knitting race, to see who could knit a sock the best and in the least time. She beat him so badly he had to admit it although it embarrassed him very much. [p. 163]

      Gedske had a pleasing personality and was a talented singer. She was sustained a member of the church choir when she was 10 years of age, under the direction of S. O. Crosby, and she remained in the choir the greater part of her life.

      On 29 Aug. 1883 she was set apart as secretary of the First Ward Relief Society by James Houston, and was released in June 1886.

      During the trouble with the government in regard to polygamous marriages, Gedske was moved from place to place, in hiding from the federal officers. At one home she moved to there were no windows or doors. She hung quilts up to keep the cold out. Her baby had red measles, and because of the cold and draft became very ill and died. She also lost her second baby with whooping cough.

      On 15 April 1889 she was moved to Kanab, Utah; later on to Fredonia, Ariz., into a one-room house that was not finished. While at work she would often look up to find Indians watching her through the windows. She said her heart would almost stop beating, but she was told that she must never let the Indians know she was afraid. Sometimes if there were a lot of them and it was nearing night, she would give them a pan of flour. Then they would leave and she would take the children and go to the neighbors. The Navaho Indians would come from across the Colorado River and pitch their camp just across the creek from her house. There would be hundreds of them and they were very sassy at times. They had bands of ponies which they would turn right into the fields without saying anything to anybody. The Piutes were bad, but the Navahos seemed worse.

      Later when the family was getting older, under James’ direction the boys hauled lumber and shingles from distant saw mills and built her a nice six-room house. The pioneering days were over then and the family was quite happy from then on.

      The pioneers of Fredonia suffered many hardships. Heavy rains at the head of Kanab Creek would cause flash floods that would wash out the dams and ditches from one to three or four times a year. When they first settled there it was a fine range for livestock and was well stocked with thousands of cattle. Then in the 1890's there came a heavy drouth and thousands of cattle died all over the Arizona strip. Sometimes the stench from rotting carcasses close into town would be so nauseating it would be impossible to sleep at night.

      Poor cattle coming in on the creek to drink would mire in the quick sand a few inches, and being too weak to pull themselves out would die in the little stream, making it filthy. Yet it had to be used for washing clothes because the two wells in town carried such a heavy content of alkali it was impossible to use the water for washing. However, they were glad to carry it to their homes and use it for drinking and cooking. When the drouth broke and brought a flash flood which cleaned the creek out good, that was once they were glad to see a flood, even if it did take the dam and ditches out.

      Under these conditions it would seem that many people would get sick and die, but, as Marion Henrie said, the people were scandalously healthy, and it looked for some time as though they would have to kill a man or an Indian to start a graveyard. [p. 164]

      For quite a number of years there were no peace officers at Fredonia. Flagstaff was 75 or more miles across the Colorado River and a Navaho Indian reservation, making the county seat unavailable. One Indian said, “There is no law down in Fredonia.” The majority of the families at that time were polygamists who had gone there to get away from the federal officers, but the very fact that there was no law down there furnished the protection which they were seeking.

      An isolated tract like the Arizona strip, well stocked and with no law, where there was a maverick chance to start into the cattle business, was an attraction for renegades and jail breakers. Hoodlums who loved to drink, rode around town at night and shot their pistols into the roofs of people’s houses making fun of the polygamists, calling their town the lambing ground, Hardscrable, Scabenic, Lickskillet, etc. Our boys would retaliate and there would be some hard fighting at times, but no murders and no moral casualties that can be recalled among the townspeople. The young people grew up to be fine citizens. In the economic world Fredonia produced at least one millionaire and a number of others who have surrounded themselves with plenty.

      What is known as the Grover Cleveland Panic came along in the 1890's along with the drouth. Livestock and farm prices generally were shattered; sheep sold for 75¢, yearling steers for $5 to $7; and cows for $10—when there were buyers, but buyers were few. James Henrie had farms, ranches, herds of livestock, stores, and mills; but no values on anything, made it necessary for Gedske to sell fruits and vegetables, dried fruits to the Coconino Smelting and Mining Company and livestock men, who would come to her home and buy them by the hundreds of pounds. Whenever she had a chance she would sell some of her home-made quilts, rugs, rag carpets, knit stockings, sweaters, gloves, mufflers, lovely tatting, crochet work, etc. Her cheese and butter were also in demand.

      Gedske was very economical, and rather extreme for cleanliness in her home. At times when soap was not available she would scrub her wood floors with sand, scrub her copper boiler and brass kettles with salt and vinegar, and polish her stoves with Rising Sun Stove Polish until you could see your face in any of them. The family wash was done on the washboard; and when a little extra cash was needed, she would take in washings from the stock men.

      Despite these and other hardships, she made a happy home for her family by entering into recreation of different kinds with them. She would take all her family to the dances, as was the custom, and make beds on the back of the benches for the smaller ones while she and the older ones danced. She taught practically all the young folks at Fredonia to dance. The people of the little town had to make their own recreation, such as melon busts, candy-pulls, ward picnics, plays, and programs, etc. There were also horse and foot racing, ball games, and other outdoor sports.

      Gedske was always ready to help a neighbor in need and spent many hours nursing the sick and caring for the dead. She loved little children and loved to work with them. She was always called Aunt Gedske wherever she lived

      While living in Fredonia she was a school trustee, secretary and block teacher in the Relief Society, always a member of the choir. She had a beautiful voice, sang solos, .in duets, choruses, etc., and took many comic parts in dances and shows. [p. 165]

      Gedske and her family moved back to Panguitch, Utah, 4 May 1904, where she became an active member. She was set apart as a Primary teacher 4 Feb. 1905, released 20 Feb. 1906. She was set apart as a Sunday School teacher in the Second Intermediate Department 4 Feb. 1905. She acted as First Counselor to Margaret Haycock in Primary from 20 Feb. 1906 to 8 May 1907. At that time she was called to act as President of the Primary and was set apart by President David Cameron, holding that position until 4 June 1916 with Minerva Worthen as First Counselor and Alice Worthen as Second She also acted as a Relief Society block teacher for ten years. When the ward was divided 26 Nov 1916 she was set apart by James Houston as First Counselor to Elizabeth Cameron, President of the Stake Relief Society. She held that position until 19 Nov. 1921 When the change was made in the Presidency she declined to act as President.

      When James Henrie died, she sold her home and went to live with her children, as she did not care to live alone. When her son Francis lost his wife she lived with him, helping to rear his family. When her health began to fail she went to live with her daughters.

      Gedske had a strong testimony of the Gospel throughout her life and was a faithful Latter-day Saint. She was loved by James’ entire family, children, and grandchildren alike, as well as James and his first two wives.

      When she was 60 years old her son Marion asked her if she didn’t think she had made a mistake in marrying an old man, old enough to be her grandfather, when she was just a child, and her answer was, “No.” She stated that she knew him to be a big and a good man before she married him, and he proved to be just that. And besides, she was left with a sick mother and two younger brothers to support, and she knew James could and would help her, which he did, and she would be glad to take her place beside him, in his great family organization, throughout all the eternities to come. Her children admired her attitude, her courage, and her faith. She now lies beside James and his two older wives in the Panguitch City Cemetery, and we know she is satisfied with her accomplishments in life. (Pictures of Gedske appear on pp. 12 and 153.)

      James Henrie and his first wife Rhoana (Hatch) Henrie had 13 children:

1.       James Henrie, b. 5 Aug. 1852, South Bountiful, Utah; m. Clarissa Clark. (See p. 167)

2.       William Henrie, b. 5 Aug. 1852, South Bountiful, d. 6 Mar. 1854.

3.       Ira Henrie, b. 29 July 1854, South Bountiful, d. 15 Dec. 1857.

4.       Weltha Rhoana Henrie, b. 20 Sept. 1856, South Bountiful; m. Samuel Clark. (See Chapter XII, p. 187.)

5.       Daniel Arthur Henrie, b. 6 Aug. 1858-9, South Bountiful; m. S. E. Marshall. (See p. 168.)

6.       Samuel Osburn Henrie, b.. 23 July 1860, South Bountiful; m. (1) Ellen

            Clark; m. (2) Hettie LaVina Hortt. (See Chapter XIII, p. 197.) [p. 166]

7.       Ephraim Henrie, 7th child of James & Rhoana (Hatch) Henrie, b. 10 May 1862, South Bountiful; m. Sarah Jane Hancock. (See Chapter XIV, p.215

8.       Myra Henrie, b. 30 Mar. 1864, South Bountiful; m. Thomas Haycock. (See Chapter XV, p. 223.)

9.       Willard Henrie, b. 11 Sept. 1866, Panaca, Lincoln Co., Nev., d. 3 Nov 1867.

10.       Erastus Henrie, b. 3 Jan. 1869, Panaca, Nev., d. 19 July 1879.

11.       True Bradford Henrie, b. 25 Dec. 1871, Panguitch, Utah, d. 20 July.

12.       Margaret Effie Henrie, b. 10 Feb. 1874, Panguitch; m. Joseph Edgar Heywood. (See Chapter XVI, p. 230.)

13.       Ransom Parley Henrie, b. 8 Sept. 1876, Panguitch; m. Ethel Stuart.

14.       Sylvester Henrie, an Indian boy whom they reared. (See p. 223)

James Henrie and his second wife Christena (Schow) Henrie had 10 children:

1.       Joseph Nelse Henrie, b. 17 Sept. 1863, Bountiful, Utah, d. 29 Aug. 1864, bur. at Bountiful.

2.       Mary Henrie, b. 23 May 1866, Panaca, Nev.; m. James Michael Cooper. (See p. 170.)

3.       Christena Henrie, b. 1 May 1869, Panaca; m. Andrew Jackson Riggs. (See p. 173.)

4.       Sarah Henrie, b. 5 Jan. 1872, Panguitch, Utah; m. George Gibson Dodds. (See p. 178.)

5.       James Nathan Henrie, b. 28 Apr. 1874, Panguitch; m. Sarah Olive Lee. (See Chapter XVII, p. 242.)

6.       John Nathaniel Henrie, b. 10 Sept. 1876, Panguitch; m. Emma Lee. (See Chapter XVIII, p. 249.)

7.       Bergetta Henrie, b.. 3 Feb. 1879, Panguitch; m. Horace Miller. (See Chapter XIX, p. 257.)

8.       Jeddie Nephi Henrie, b. 24 Feb. 1881, Panguitch; m. Hilda Vilate Prince. (See Chapter XX, p. 266.)

9.       Maria Eva Dean Henrie, b. 25 Feb. 1884, Panguitch; m. Francis Howard Prince. (See p. 182.) Maria Eva m. (2) Joseph Allen Bell.

10.       Rhoana Dee Henrie, b. 12 Nov. 1886, Panguitch; m. David Henry Owens. (See p. 184.) [p. 167]

James Henrie and his third wife, Gedske Schow, had 7 children:

1.       Nelse Christian Heber Henrie, b 6 Nov. 1880, Panguitch, Utah, d. 8 June 1881.

2.       James Ira Henrie, b. 8 Apr. 1882, Panguitch, d. 22 Mar. 1883.

3.       Marion Henrie, b. 12 July 1884, Panguitch; m. Artemisia Cutler. (See Chapter XXI, p. 278.)

4.       Ane Marie Henrie, b. 26 Nov. 1886, Panguitch; m. Henry George Excell. (See Chapter XXII, p. 285.)

5.       Francis Henrie, b. 4 June 1889, Kanab, Kane Co., Utah; m. (1) Emily Judd; m. (2) Victoria Rappley Young; m, (3) Eliza Peterson Jorgensen (See Chapter XXIII, p. 295.)

6.       Edgar A. Henrie, b. 5 Nov. 1891, Fredonia, Coconino Co., Ariz.; m. Frances Fern Steele. (See Chapter XXIV, p. 303.)

7.       Myra Rhoana Henrie, b. 11 Sept. 1894, Fredonia; m. Philo Cameron. (See Chapter XXV, p. 307.)


      JAMES HENRIE JR., eldest child of James & Rhoana (Hatch) Henrie, was b. 5 Aug. 1852, South Bountiful, Utah. This may have been known at one time as Willow Springs, as both places are mentioned in the record as the place of his birth. He d. 1920s, at Hico, Nevada, and probably bur. there June 15. He m. 6 Dec. 1878, Provo, Utah, to Clarissa Alvira Clark, dau. of John and Alvira June (Pratt) Clark. She was b. 6 Dec. 1860, Provo; d. 1920s, Hico, Nev., and probably bur. there July 31. They had 5 children, all b. in Panguitch Utah: [James was bapt. July 1868, end. 19 Apr. 1878.]

1.       James Clark Henrie, b. 9 Aug. 1879, d. 2 May 1890.

2.       Alvira Rhoana Henrie, b. 29 Sept. 1881; m. 8 Oct. 1903, to George William Thiriot, s. of Joseph Peter & Alice Hannah (Timms) Thiriot. He was b. 11 June 1881, Park City, Utah, non-member of the L.D.S. Church. They had 5 children: [Alvira bapt. 8 Oct. 1903].

(1)       George Henrie Thiriot, b. 31 Oct. 1904, Provo, d. 18 July 1908.

(2)       Joseph Edward Thiriot, b. 20 Aug. 1906, Provo; m. Ellen Miller.

(3)       Dean Paul Thiriot, b. 15 Feb. 1909, Provo; m. Florence Wadsworth.

(4)       James Q. Thiriot, b. 1910s, Boise, Ada Co., Idaho.

(5)       George William Thiriot Jr., b. 1910s, Provo; m. Jane Roberts. [p. 168]

3.       Clara Dee Henrie, 3rd child of James & Clarissa Alvira (Clark) Henrie b. 12 Sept. 1886, Panguitch, Utah [bapt.]; m. 16 June 1905, Provo, to George Hayden Heindsleman, s. of Joseph & Sophia (Klokenstine) Heindsleman, b. 2 Sept, 1883, Olney, Richland Co., Ill., non-member of the L.D.S. Church. They operate a jewelry and gift shop in Provo, where Dr. Heindsleman practices optometry. They had 3 children, all b. in Provo:

(1)       Erma Dee Heindsleman, b. 6 Apr. 1907; m. 1931, to Paul Robley. Erma operated a knitting school and store in connection with her parents’ jewelry and gift store.

(2)       Flo Della Heindsleman, b. 1910s; m. 1930s, to Mervin Redden. She d. 1950s, Salt Lake City, and bur. Apr. 2, Provo City Cemetery. She and her sister operated a knitting school and store in connection with the Heindsleman jewelry and gift store. Her husband, Mervin, operated a music store in the same building.

(3)       Georgia Joan Heindsleman, b. 1920s; is m. and has at least one child. She has a lovely voice and entertained extensively before her marriage.

4.       Flora Reeve Henrie, b. 16 June 1891, Panguitch [bapt.]; m. 1910s, Provo, Utah, to George Treadway Munroe, s. of Charles Edward & Mary Louise (Barker) Munroe. He was b. 31 Mar. 1881, Newport, Rhode Island. They had 5 children:

(1)       Emma Louise Munroe, b. 1910s, Mercur, Tooele Co., Utah; m. Robert Lindsley Fletcher.

(2)       Charles Treadway Munroe, b. 1910s, Provo, d. 1910s.

(3)       Clara Treadway Munroe, b 1910s, Washington, D.C.; m. Harvey S. Brown III.

(4)       Florence Faun Munroe, b. 1910s, Forest Glen, Montgomery Co., Md.; m. William Carol McPherson Jr.

(5)       Marjorie Dee Munroe, b. 1910s, Provo, Utah.

5.       Tarza Mazetta Henrie, b. 23 Feb. 1893, d. 1920s; m. Emer W. Murdock. They had children.


      DANIEL ARTHUR HENRIE, 5th child of James & Rhoana (Hatch) Henrie, was b. 6 Aug. 1858- 9, South Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah [bapt.], d. 1940s, Las Vegas, Nev., and bur. Alamo, Lincoln Co., Nev. He m. 6 Apr. 1880-1 to Sarah Elizabeth Marshall, dau. of George & Esther (Steele) Marshall. She was b 26 Jan. 1862, Pine Canyon, Tooele Co., Utah [bapt. 7 Jan. 1872, end. 1882, St. George (L.D.S. Temple) no record of sealing 7; she d. 1940s, Paso Robles, Calif., and bur. there Oct. 2. [Daniel bapt. 1868, end. 23 Nov. 1881.] [p. 169]

      Daniel Arthur & Sarah Elizabeth (Marshall) Henrie had 8 children:

1.       Esther Henrie, b. 23 Feb. 1881, Panguitch, Utah, d. 4-5 Mar. 1881.

2.       Rhoana Henrie, b. 23 Jan. 1882, Panguitch, d. 31 Jan. or 21 Feb. 1882.

3.       Daniel Arthur Henrie Jr., b. 11 Apr 1883, Tooele, Utah

4.       Erastus Henrie, b. 22 Oct. 1885, Panguitch, d. 5-15 Nov. 1885.

5.       James Kenneth Henrie, b. 20 June 1887, Kanab, Kane Co., Utah.

6.       George Fayette Henrie, b. 23 Apr. 1890, Kanab, d. 1896.

7.       Sherriff Marshall Henrie, b. 14 Sept. 1893, Kanab [bapt. 30 Oct. 1906, end. 1910s], d. 1920s, Provo, Utah, and bur. there July 17. He m. 1910s, Salt Lake City, to Leona Jones, dau. of William Thomas & Marie Adrina (Loveless) Jones. She was b. 28 Feb. 1896, Provo. They had 3 children, b. in Provo:

(1)       Myrleen Henrie, b. 1910s [bapt.; end. 1940s] m. 1940s, to Robert Edwin Simpson.

(2)       Keith William Henrie, b. 1920s, d. 1940s.

(3)       Billy Sherriff Henrie, b. 1920s.

8.       Joseph Keith Henrie, b. 19 July 1897.


      RANSOM PARLEY HENRIE, 13th child of James & Rhoana (Hatch) Henrie, was b. 8 Sept. 1876, Panguitch, Utah [bapt.], d. 1940s, Las Vegas, Nevada, and bur. in Alamo, Nevada. He m. Ethel Stuart-Stewart, b. in Kanab, Utah. They had 8 children: [Ransom bapt. 10 May 1885, end. 4 Mar. 1903.]

1.       Stewart Henrie.

2.       Tom Henrie.

3.       Jim Henrie.

4.       Dagmar Henrie.

5.       Rhoana Henrie.

6.       Macy Henrie.

7.       Phyllis Henrie

8.       Margaret Henrie. [p. 170]


      MARY HENRIE, 2nd child of James & Christena (Schow) Henrie, was b. 23 May 1863, Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah [bapt. 9 Aug. 1874, end. 19 June 1879, H. 7 Feb. 1906], d. Feb. 1954, Panguitch, and bur. there Feb. 2. She m. 4 Sept. 1889, to James Michael Cooper, s. of Seguine & Christena Elizabeth (Goheen) Cooper. He was b. 4 July abt. 1861, Salt Lake City, Utah [bapt. 7 Feb. 1906 by proxy, end. 7 Feb. 1906]; he d. 21 Dec. 1905, Panguitch, and bur there Dec. 23. They had 5 children, all b. in Panguitch:

1.       James Ephraim Cooper, b. 2 June 1890, d. 15 June 1890.

2.       Nathaniel Cooper, b. 2 July 1892; m. Isabelle Church.

3.       Joseph Traverse Cooper, b. 1 June 1895; m. Luddie Myrtle Ellison Prince.

4.       Christena Cooper, b. 21 Feb. 1899 [bapt. 4 May 1907]; m. 1910s, Panguitch, Utah, to Thomas Ira Schow, s. of Ira Christian & Mary Jane (Evans) Schow. He was b. 16 Aug. 1893, Panguitch [bapt. 18 Mar. 1905]; a successful grocer and retail merchant in Panguitch for years. They had 6 children, all b. in Panguitch:

(1)       Grant Schow, b. 1920s, d. same day.

(2)       Veda Schow, b. 1920s, d. 1920s.

(3)       Thomas Kyle Schow, b. 1920s [bapt. 1930s].

(4)       Mary Schow, b. 1920s [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, Panguitch, to Clifford B. Dodds, s. of James William & Hannah Mae (Excell) Dodds. He was b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s]. They had 1 child:

a.       Barbara Dodds, b. 1950s, Panguitch.

(5)       Norma Gale Schow, b. 1930s [bapt, 1930s].

(6)       James Mont Schow, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s].

5.       Jeddie Cooper, b. 18 Apr. 1903, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s]; m. 1930s, Panguitch, to LaVerda Montague, dau of Arthur Orrval & Sarah Marie (Brown) Montague. She was b. 1910s, Antimony, Utah [bapt. 1920s]. They had 2 children, b. in Panguitch:

(1)       Jed Arthur Cooper, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s].

(2)       Cleone V. Cooper (female), b. 1940s [bapt. 1950s].

      Ellice Cooper (wife of Joseph Traverse Cooper and daughter-in-law of Mary Henrie) wrote the following sketch.: [p. 171]

      Mary Henrie lived in Panaca, Nevada, until she was six years of age, when the Saints were advised to leave and settle elsewhere. They moved to Panguitch, Utah, and lived for a time in the old fort, located where the school buildings now stand.

      When she was a small girl, she developed some sort of eye infection which was never entirely eliminated. This was a handicap throughout her life. Still she was able to do her own work and took over her share of the family responsibility.

      She carried large buckets of water from a well a block from her home for the family’s use. She was very independent and did not want anyone to take any of her responsibilities.

Of two things she was particularly frightened: Indians and wild steers and no wonder, for she had many experiences with both that did not leave pleasant memories. As was characteristic of all her family, she was very fond of dancing and singing.

      Her husband died early in life, leaving her with 4 of her 6 children to rear.

      She had an unusually good memory. It has always been a topic of conversation how she did it, and many consulted her for data on early Panguitch history. Just prior to her death she was consulted for dates and incidents. Even though she was 87 years of age, she could give dates of births, baptism, and christening, marriages, deaths, ordinations, etc.

      She did a great deal of crochet work and hooked rugs for all her children. She was an excellent cook; especially her bread and cakes were delicious.

      She served for many years as a ward teacher in Relief Society. She always had a word of advice for those who asked for it and a cheery word of encouragement for old and young alike. She loved children and delighted in telling them stories and entertaining them.

      She religiously paid her tithing and always said, “If you can’t live today, how can you live tomorrow, if you go in debt.” She was honest in all things and taught her family this principle.

      NATHANIEL COOPER, 2nd child of James Michael & Mary (Henrie) Cooper, was b. 2 July 1892, Panguitch [bapt. 15 Sept. 1901]; m. 1910s, Panguitch, to Isabelle Church, dau. of Robert Robins & Charlotte (Talbot) Church. She was b. 28 July 1893, Panguitch [bapt. 15 Sept. 1901]. [p. 172]

      Nathaniel & Isabelle (Church) Cooper had 8 children, all b. in Panguitch:

1.       Thaddius Cooper, b. 1910s, d. same day.

2.       Grace Cooper, b. 1910s [bapt. 1920s]; m. (1) 10 Nov. 1932, to Robert or Ruel Zigler. They were divorced and she m. (2) George Elmer Young, b. 1910s, Kanab, Utah. He d. 1940s, in Calif. They had 3 children:

(1)       Warren George Young, b. 1930s, Kanab, Utah.

(2)       Theda Mae Young, b. 1930s, Panguitch, Utah.

(3)       James N. Young, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

3.       Gwen Cooper, b. 1910s [bapt. 1920s]; m. 1930s, Salt Lake City, Utah, to Lynn Davis, s. of Hyrum & Lizania (Craig) Davis. He was b. 2 July 1907-8, Panguitch. They had 4 children, all b. in Panguitch:

(1)       Douglas Lynn Davis, b. 1930s-5.

(2)       Kenneth Davis, b. 1930s, d. 1930s.

(3)       Grant Hyrum Davis, b. 1940s.

(4)       Barbara K. Davis, b. July 1941.

4.       James N. Cooper, b. 1920s [bapt. 1920s].

5.       Gene Cooper, b. 1920s [bapt. 1930s]; m. Lyndell-Lyndall Jackson. She m. (2). They had 2 children, b. in Kanab, Utah:

(1)       Lyndall W. Jackson, b 1930s.

(2)       Carol Gene Jackson, b 1940s.

6.       Grant H. Cooper, b. 1920s [bapt. 1930s]; m.

7.       May LaRea (Larie) Cooper, b. 1920s [Bapt. 1930s]; m. William Charles.

8.       Fay Ann Cooper, b. 1930s.

      JOSEPH TRAVERSE COOPER, 3rd child of James Michael & Mary (Henrie) Cooper was b. 1 June 1895, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 14 Aug. 1904]; m. 1920s, in Panguitch, to Luddie Myrtle Ellison, dau. of Abraham & Della (Keith) Ellison. She was b. 20 Feb. 1903, Solomnville, Graham Co., Ariz.; she was adopted to William & Louisa Evaline (Lee) Prince when about 10 years of age and was bapt. Traverse served in the Army in France in World War I, from 3 Oct. 1917 to 3 Jan. 1919. “Ellice” has a very fine voice and loves to entertain. She and a group of young married women formed a band, using kitchen articles for instruments, a child’s drum, a triangle, etc., and the piano and guitar. They [p. 173] received acclaim all over the southern part of the state for their music and entertainment; played for dances and many other programs; were invited to play for the Daughters of the Pioneers at Salt Lake City and their program was televised. She has served in many capacities in the church, especially singing at funerals, conferences, other entertainments, and family reunions. Joseph Traverse & Luddie Myrtle (Ellison) Cooper had 5 children, all b. in Panguitch, Utah:

1.       Ellis Cooper, b. 1920s, d. same day.

2.       Theda Cooper, b. 1920s [bapt. 1930s], d. 1930s. She was a very lovely girl, with a happy disposition and loved by all her family, friends and playmates.

3.       Betty Lou Cooper, b. 1920s [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, Panguitch, to Joseph Frank Haycock, s. of Albert Frank & Margaret Ellen (Davis) Haycock. He was b. 1910s, Panguitch, d. 1950s, Panguitch, and bur. there. They had 2 children:

(1)       Vickie Lou Haycock, b 1940s, Panguitch.

(2)       Joseph Frank Haycock Jr., b. 1950s, Panguitch.

4.       Joseph Traverse Cooper Jr., b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s]; m 1950s, Fredonia, Ariz., to Norma Adams, dau. of Otis I. & Hortense M. (Hansen) Adams. She was b. 1920s, Layton, Utah. Her name is given as Norma Adams Gailey, but there is no information to indicate she married before, only her father’s name. They had 1 child:

(1)       Joseph Traverse Cooper III, b. 1950s, Ogden, Utah.

      Joseph (Joe) served in World War II in Italy from 1944 to 1946. He is presently living at McMinnville, Oregon.

5.       Myrtle Cooper, b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 7 Mar. 193 7]; m. 1940s, Caliente, Lincoln Co., Nev., to Thomas Orton Talbot, s. of John (Jack) Tailor & Celesta (Orton) Talbot. He was b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt 1920s]. They had 3 children, all b. in Panguitch:

(1)       Helen Jean Talbot, b. 1940s.

(2)       Thomas Paul Talbot, b. 1940s.

(3)       James Michael Talbot, b. 1950s.


      CHRISTENA HENRIE, 3rd child of James & Christena (Schow) Henrie, was b. 1 May 1869, Panaca, Lincoln Co., Nev. [bapt. 8 Oct. 1876], d. 7 Mar. 1904, Panguitch, and bur. there Mar. 9. She m. 1 May abt. 1887, to Andrew Jackson Riggs, s. of William. Sears & Sarah (Reeves) Riggs. He was b. 15 Feb. 1868, in Kanarraville, Utah [bapt. 8 Oct. 1876]. [p. 174]

      Andrew Jackson & Christena (Henrie) Riggs had 7 children, all b. in Panguitch:

1.       Jackson Angus Riggs, b. 7 Feb. 1888; m. Mildred Dalley.

2.       James Henrie Riggs, b. 16 Apr. 1890, d. 6 Feb. 1891.

3.       William Sears Riggs, b. 1 Sept. 1892 [bapt. 17 Aug. 1902, end. July 1918]; m. in Kanab, Utah, to Tamar Adams, dau. of George James & Arminda (Hamblin) Adams. She was b. 17 May 1898, Kanab. They had 3 children, all b. in Kanab:

(1)       J. Earl Riggs, b. 1910s.

(2)       George Sears Riggs, b. 1920s.

(3)       Norma Riggs, b. 1920s.

4,       Joseph Earl Riggs, b. 3 Dec. 1894, d. 1910s, killed in action in World War I, [He was bapt. 14 Aug. 1904, end. 1920s].

5,       Christena Elfa Riggs, b. 19 Dec. 1897; m. William Crosby Tebbs.

6.       Sarah Irene Riggs, b. 23 Apr. 1900; m. Kenneth Beckstrom.

7.       Evade an (Eva Dean) Riggs, b. 31 May 1902 [bapt. 1910s]; m. 1930s, at Junction, Utah, as his 2nd wife, Frank J. Sawins, s. of Jullio & Catherine Sawins. He was b. 20 Oct. 1896, Buffalo, New York, a non-member of the L.D.S. Church. He has been an employee of Los Angeles Co., Calif., for 24 years. Evadean graduated from Panguitch High School; she later attended a school of beauty culture and practiced for many years; she has always been interested in church work, particularly Relief Society, and has been a visiting teacher for years. They had no children.

      JACKSON ANGUS RIGGS, eldest child of Andrew Jackson & Christena (Henrie) Riggs, was b. 7 Feb. 1888, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 24 May 1896, end. 1910s], d. 1950s, Panguitch, and bur. there Mar. 13. He m. 7 Apr. 1909 in Summit, Iron Co., Utah, to Mildred Dalley, dau. of William Wright & Margaretta (Jones) Dalley. She was b. 24 June 1891, in Summit [bapt. 24 June 1899, end. & H. 1910s]; after Angus’ death she was called to fill a mission. They had 7 children:

1.       Austin Dalley Riggs, b. 31 Dec. 1909, Summit, Utah [bapt. 1910s, end. 1930s, S. to P. 1910s], d 1930s. He m. 1930s, Manti, Utah. to Myrtle Wilcock, dau. of John Joseph & Emily (Ronson) Wilcock. She was b. 1910s [bapt.; end. & S. to H. 1930s]. They had 1 child:

(1)       Austin Wilcock Riggs, b. 1930s [bapt.; end. 1950s]. m. Carol Jean Mower.

2.       Gwen Riggs, b. 1910s, Summit, Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. & H. 1930s], m. 1930s, Manti (L.D.S. Temple) to [p. 175] Henry Frank Orton, s. of Henry- Saddler & Mary Elizabeth (Linford) Orton. He was b. 1910s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. 1930s]. Henry & Gwen had 3 children:

(1)       Robert Frank Orton, b 1930s, Reno, Nev. [bapt. 1940s].

(2)       Gloria Orton, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

(3)       John Henry Orton, b. 1950s, Panguitch.

3.       J. Angus Riggs, 3rd child of Jackson Angus & Mildred (Dailey) Riggs was b. 1910s, Summit, Utah [bapt. 1920s]; m. 1940s to Myrtle Gardiner. [She was end. 1940s.]

4.       Wayne Henrie Riggs, b. 1910s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1920s]; m. Curtie Judd.

5.       Hazel Riggs, b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end. & H. 1930s]; m. 1930s, to Clarence Cameron, s. of William G. & Clara (Judd) Cameron. He was b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt.; end. 1930s]. They had 3 children, all b. in Panguitch:

(1)       Hazel K. Cameron, b. 1940s [bapt. 1950s].

(2)       Nancy Cameron, b. 1940s.

(3)       Arlene Cameron, b. 1950s.

6.       Fern Riggs, b. 1920s, Panguitch; m. 1940s, Panguitch, to Harry Morris Jr., s. of Harry & Bertha (Press) Morris. He was b. 1910s, Salt Lake City, Utah. They had 2 children, b. in Salt Lake City:

(1)       Carolyn Morris, b. 1940s.

(2)       Richard Harry Morris, b. 1950s.

7.       Jackson Glade Riggs, b. 1920s, Panguitch, d. 1940s, unmarried.

      CHRISTENA ELFA RIGGS, 5th child of Andrew Jackson & Christena (Henrie) Riggs, was b. 19 Dec. 1897, Panguitch, Utah [bapt.; end & S to H. 17 Oct. 1925]; m. 1910s, Panguitch, to William Crosby Tebbs, s. of William & Lois (Crosby) Tebbs. He was b. 16 Aug. 1896, Panguitch [bapt. 18 Mar. 1905, end. 1920s].

      Christena Elfa was b. in a new brick house just built by her parents. It was an extremely cold winter and the snow fell so deep it covered the tops of the fences. Her mother died when she was 7 years old. She was taken to live with her Aunt Sarah (Henrie) Dodds for 2 years. Then her father remarried a widow woman with 4 daughters. There were 10 of them in the house. After grade school she attended high school for 2 years. She went to work in the Panguitch Co-op store for 2 years; then she helped her father in his cafe. [p. 176] Christena Elfa m. William (Bill) Crosby Tebbs during World War I; he was drafted in the Army but served only 5 months when the armistice was signed and he returned home. In 1925 Bill was called on a mission to the Eastern States and Elfa took a job in a store. Her health was not good, but she carried on while he was away. They eventually had means to buy a nice brick home and moved out of the 2 small rooms they had occupied. They had 4 children, all b. in Panguitch:

1.       Myrtle Tebbs, b. 1920s [bapt. 1920s, P, 1920s]; m. 1940s, Midvale, Utah, to John Howard Prince, s. of John Wilson & Edith (Pace) Prince. He was b. 1910s, in Price Carbon Co., Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. July 1947].

            Myrtle graduated from Brigham Young High school and gave the valedictorian address in 1938. She attended the Brigham Young University one year, then left to be married, and moved to Los Angeles, Calif. Her husband is an industrial engineer, employed at Douglas Aircraft for the past 12 years. They are both active church workers in the Westchester Ward. John is a leader in the ward sponsored Boy Scouts, and Myrtle a teacher in the Primary for 3 years. They are very happy to own their home in Los Angeles. [She was end, & H. July 1947.] They had 1 child:

(1)       William Howard Prince, b. 1940s, Los Angeles, Calif. [bapt. Aug. 1949, P. July 1947].

2.       William Jack Tebbs, b. 1920s [bapt. 1930s, P. 1920s, end. 1940s]; m. 1940s, Los Angeles, Calif., to Marjie Sackett, dau. of Manly Erastus & Mary Arminta (Harper) Sackett. She was b. 1920s, Brigham City, Box Elder Co., Utah [bapt. Mar. 1932, end. & H. 1940s].

            Jack attended elementary schools at Panguitch and high school, after which he enrolled at Brigham Young University, and later the University of Utah. In 1943 he was inducted into the Army, and after completing his basic training he was sent to the University of Calif. School of Dentistry where he received his D.D.S. He practiced in Hawthorne until Feb. 1952, when he was called back into the Army. He served as Capt. in the Dental Corps for 2 years. They had 3 children

(1)       William Paul Tebbs, b. 1940s, Los Angeles, Calif. [bapt. 1950s].

(2)       Richard S. Tebbs, b. 1940s, Brigham City, Utah.

(3)       Diane Tebbs, b. 1950s, Los Angeles.

3.       Arthur Tebbs, b. 1920s [bapt. Dec. 1934]; m. 1940s, Panguitch, to Wenda Mae Daly, dau. of Robert & Lena (Marshall) Daly. She was b. 13 Dec. 192 7, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s]. They made their home in Panguitch, where Arthur is working with his father in raising livestock. They had 3 children:

(1)       Judith Tebbs, b. 1940s, Panguitch [bapt. 13 July].

(2)       Barbara Tebbs, b. 1940s, Las Vegas, Nev.

(3)       Marilyn Tebbs, b. 1950s, Panguitch. [p. 177]

4.       Sterling K. Tebbs, 4th child of William Crosby & Christena Elfa (Riggs) Tebbs, was b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s]. Attended school for 18 months at Wasatch Academy; now a senior in high school and the only child left at home with his parents.

      SARAH IRENE RIGGS, 6th child of Andrew Jackson & Christene (Henrie) Riggs, was b. 23 Apr. 1900, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 31 Oct. 1908, end. & 4 Apr. 1923]; m. 1920s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to Kenneth Beckstrom, s. of Joseph Oscar & Ella Caroline (Lloyd) Beckstrom. He was b. 2 Oct. 1898, Panguitch [bapt. 6 June 1908, end. 1920s].

Irene has taught Sunday School and Primary classes, and has served as Stake Missionary for 2 years. She worked in the Stake Primary and was active in Relief Society as visiting teacher for 28 years. Kenneth graduated from Panguitch High School 1917. He then joined the Navy and served for 2 1/2 years. He was released and returned home in 1919. He worked for Douglas Aircraft for 6 1/2 years, and is presently employed at the Los Angeles County Fire Shop. They had 5 children, b. in Panguitch.

1.       Lloyd K. Beckstrom, b. 1920s [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, Miami, Florida, to Joan A. Rapp, dau. of Albert & Viola Rapp. She was b. 1920s, Artesia, Los Angeles Co., Calif., a nonmember of the L.D.S. Church. Lloyd graduated from George Washington High School; was in the Navy Air Corps for 4 years; again joined the Navy Air Corps and served another 2 years; he is now attending the Southern California College. They had 1 child:

(1)       Robert Leigh Beckstrom, b 1940s, Whittier, Calif.

2.       Duwayne Earl Beckstrom, b. 1920s, d. 1920s.

3.       Stanley Jay Beckstrom, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s, end 1950s]; m. 1950s, Mesa (L.D.S. Temple), to Patricia Jean Gregory, dau. of Eugene Carrol N. & Myrtle Agnes (Williams) Gregory. She was b. 1930s, Fayetteville, Washington Co., Arkansas [bapt May 1942, end. & H. 1950s]. Stanley was a Tremont High School graduate; is a mechanical draftsman at Pacific Pump Co.; in church life he is a Priesthood advisor. They had 1 child:

(1)       Stanley Wayne Beckstrom, b. 1950s, Los Angeles, Calif.

4.       EvaDean (Evadean) Beckstrom, b. 1930s [bapt, 1940s]. Graduated from Tremont High School and is employed at Fluor Corp. as a stenographer.

5.       Lucile Beckstrom, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s]. Attended Los Angeles Grammar School and is now attending South Gate High School. [p. 178]


      SARAH HENRIE, 4th child of James & Christena (Schow) Henrie, was b. 5 Jan. 1872, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1880, end. & H. 1920s]; m. 12 Jan. 1890, Panguitch, to George Gibson Dodds, s. of George & Ruth Eliza (Lawson) Dodds. He was b. 1 Aug. 1869, New Harmony, Washington Co., Utah [bapt. at Harmony, no date, end. 1920s]; he d. 1950s, Panguitch, and bur. there Jan, 18.

      Sarah was the first baby girl b. in the Fort at Panguitch after the second settlement of that place in 1871, which was then in Iron Co. Her husband’s father was one of the first teachers she had in school. She married George in Panguitch and her father performed the ceremony. George was orphaned at 2 years of age and his father remarried and moved from Harmony to Panguitch. His father owned and operated the first sawmill in Panguitch, located half way between Panguitch and Panguitch Lake, and was the only Democratic sheriff ever to be elected to the position in Panguitch.

      In 1938 Sarah and George were called as missionaries to the St. George Temple for 3 years. She was endowed for approximately 1100 women, worked in the baptismal room, helped with the temple clothing, and was sealed for thousands of couples and families, doing 50 couples at one time. George worked along the same lines as Sarah. They were released in 1941. For many years prior to the temple mission they lived on a ranch, raising cattle, sheep, horses, and grain, and making butter and cheese.

      They reared with their family an orphan girl, Lucile Stone, who came to them. She shared with the others till her marriage.

      They celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary 12 Jan. 1952 and George died 2 days later. Sarah is still living; she crochets, reads, and enjoys her family, many grandchildren, and hosts of friends. They had 10 children, all b. in Panguitch:

1.       George Dodds, b. 8 July 1891, d. 25 June 1892 [ P. 1920s].

2.       James William Dodds, b. 2 Jan. 1893 [bapt. 17 Aug. 1902, end. 1910s, P. 1920s]; m. 1910s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to Hannah Mae Excell, dau of Henry & Elizabeth (Austin) Excell. She was b. 9 Apr. 1894, Panguitch [bapt. 17 Aug. 1902, end. & H. 1910s]. They had 6 children:

(1)       William Cecil Dodds, b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s]; m. 1940s, Long Beach, Calif., to Alvera Braze, dau. of George & Barbara Braze. She was b. 1920s, Chicago, Ill. They had 2 children, b. in Long Beach

a.       Phillip George Dodds, b. 1940s. b. James William Dodds, b. 1940s.

(2)       James M. Dodds, b. 1920s, Fredonia, Coconino Co., Ariz. [bapt. 1920s]; m. 1950s, in Fredonia, to May Von Alvey. [p. 179]

(3)       Clifford B. Dodds, 3rd child of James William & Hannah Mae (Excell) Dodds, was b. 1920s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, in Phoenix, Maricopa Co., Ariz., to Mary Schow, dau. of Thomas Ira & Christena (Cooper) Schow. She was b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s]. They had 1 child:

a.       Barbara Dodds, b. 1950s, Panguitch.

(4)       Nina Beth Dodds, b. 19 Dec. 192$, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, Fredonia, Ariz., to Dewitt Heywood, b. 1920s, Panguitch. They had 3 children:

a.       Dan E. Heywood, b. 1940s, Panguitch [bapt. 1950s].

b.       Diana Mae Heywood, b. 1940s.

c.       Janice Heywood, b. 1950s, Panguitch.

(5)       Velma Dodds, b. 1920s, Panguitch, d. 1920s,

(6)       Bill J. Dodds, b. 1930s, Panguitch; m. 1950s in Fredonia, Ariz., to Neucile Tebbs, dau. of Delbert Ray & Verda (LeFevre) Tebbs. She was b 1930s, in Panguitch [bapt 1940s].

3.       Ruth Eliza Dodds, 3rd child of George Gibson & Sarah (Henrie) Dodds, b. 1 Nov. 1895; m. Joseph Owens.

4.       Sarah Dodds, b. 12 May 1898, d. 4 Dec. 1902 [ P. 1920s].

5.       Nathan Dale Dodds, b. 18 Sept. 1902-3, d. 1930s [end. 1930s, P. 1930s].

6.       Robert Orlo Dodds, b. 4 Nov. 1906, d, 25 Mar. 1907 [ P. 1920s].

7.       David H. Dodds, b. 17 Apr. 1908, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s, end. 1920s]; m. 1920s, Junction, Utah, to Ola Hatch, dau. Of Meltire & Irene (Syrett) Hatch. She was b. 1910s, Panguitch (twin sister to Roene Syrett Houston) [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1920s]. They had 2 children, b. in Panguitch:

(1)       David Deloy Dodds, b. 1930s.

(2)       George Floyd Dodds, b. 1930s.

8.       Christena Lyle Dodds, b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1930s, P. 1920s]; m. 1930s, Manti (L.D.S. Temple), to Bern Miller, s. of Jesse Ninnion & Mabel (Worthen) Miller. He was b. 28 Oct. 1909, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s, end. 1930s]. [p. 180]

            Bern & Christena Lyle (Dodds) Miller had 3 children, b. in Panguitch:

(1)       Marlene Miller, b. 1930s [bapt, 9 Mar.-5 Apr 1941].

(2)       Melvin Bern Miller, b. 1940s.

(3)       Michael Miller, b. 1940s.

9.       Argie Dodds, 9th child of George Gibson & Sarah (Henrie) Dodds, was b. 1910s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt.; end. & H. 1930s]; m. 1930s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to John Henry Botts Peterson, s. of Joseph & Ida Elizabeth (Bolts) Peterson. He was b. 21 July 1907 [bapt. 1910s, end. 1930s] [Argie was P. 1920s]. They had 2 children, b. in Panguitch:

(1)       Sherri Kay Peterson, b. 1930s.

(2)       Betty Orene Peterson, b. 1940s.

10.       Glynn Champ Dodds, b. 1910s Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end 1930s, P. 1920s]; m. 1930s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple), to Nettie McAllister, dau. of Richard Samuel & Ida (Young) McAllister. She was b. 1920s, Kanab, Utah [bapt.; end. & H. 1930s]. They had 5 children:

(1)       Jane Dodds, b. 1930s, St. George, Utah, d. 1930s.

(2)       Larry Glynn Dodds, b. 1940s, Artesia, Los Angeles Co. Calif.

(3)       Dale Cecil Dodds, b. 1940s, Long Beach, Calif.

(4)       Donald George Dodds, b. 1940s, Long Beach.

(5)       Bruce Karl Dodds, b. 1940s, Long Beach.

      RUTH ELIZA DODDS, 3rd child of George Gibson & Sarah (Henrie) Dodds, was b. 1 Nov. 1895, Panguitch, Utah [bapt.; end. & H. 1920s, P. 1920s]; m. 1910s, Panguitch, to Joseph Owens, s. of William T. & Mary Emily (Jones) Owens. He was b. 3 Dec. 1890, Henrieville, Utah [bapt. 11 June 1899, end. 1920s]. They had 9 children, all b. in Panguitch.

1.       Georgia Owens, b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt.; end. & H. 1940s, P. 1920s]; m. 1940s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to Adrian Blain Cuff. He was b. 1910s, Richfield, Utah [bapt.; end. 19 Nov. 194 5] . They had 4 children:

(1)       Jennette Roth Cuff, b. 1940s, Long Beach, Calif.

(2)       Georganna Cuff, b. 1940s, St. George, Utah.

(3)       Adrian Ronald Cuff, b. 1940s, Panguitch, Utah

(4)       Kathy Jane Duff, b. 1950s, Panguitch. [p. 181]

2.       Joseph John Owens, 2nd child of Joseph & Ruth Eliza (Dodds) Owens, was b. 1910s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. 1950s]; m. 1940s, Pioche, Lincoln Co., Nev., to Marie Robb dau. of John Calvin & Fannetta (Smith) Robb. She was b. 1920s [bapt.; end. & H. 1950s]. [Joseph was P. 1920s] They had 6 children:

(1)       John Robert Owens, b. 1940s, Standard, Carbon Co , Utah [bapt. 1950s, P, 1950s].

(2)       Norma Judith Owens, b. 1940s, Panguitch, d. 1940s [ P. 1950s].

(3)       Michael D. Owens, b. 1940s, Long Beach, Calif. [bapt 1950s, P. 1950s].

(4)       William T. Owens, b. 1940s, Long Beach, Calif., d. 1940s [S. to P. 1950s].

(5)       Kenneth Joe Owens, b. 1940s, Panguitch [ P. 1950s].

(6)       David Owens, b. 1950s, Murray, Utah.

3.       Lola Owens, b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s, end. & H. 1930s, P. 1920s]; m. 1930s, to Joseph Lorenzo Barton. They had 7 children:

(1)       Joseph Gren Barton, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

(2)       Elmo K. Barton, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

(3)       Roma lee Barton, b. 1940s, Long Beach, Calif.

(4)       Janet Ruth Barton, b. 1940s, St. George, Utah.

(5)       Shirley Barton, b. 1940s, St. George.

(6)       John Leo Barton, b. 1940s, St. George.

(7)       Orlo Neal Barton, b. 1950s, St. George.

4.       Sara Owens, b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1940s, in Stuart, Martin Co., Florida, to James M. Brady. He was b. 1920s, Delta, Millard Co., Utah. They had 3 children, b. in Delta.

(1)       James Eldon Brady, b. 1940s.

(2)       Norma Brady, b. 1950s.

(3)       Douglas M. Brady, b. 1950s.

5.       Norma Owens, b. ;1 Jan. 1926, d. a child. [p. 182]

6.       Glayd Thomas Owens, 6th child of Joseph & Ruth Eliza (Dodds) Owens, was b. 1920s [bapt. 1930s]; m. 1950s, Las Vegas, Nev., to Ruth Annette Frandsen, dau. of Randolph M. & Mary Annette (Sherman) Frandsen. She was b. 1930s, Hunnington, Utah [bapt. 1942]. They had 1 child:

(1)       Glayd Thomas Owens Jr., b. 1950s.

7.       Betty Ruth Owens, b. 1930s, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 1930s, end. & H. 1950s]; m. 1950s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple), to Lewis James Brown, s. of Arthur Alexander & Cora Etta (Van Leuvan) Brown. He was b. 1920s, Mt. Trumble, Coconino Co. Ariz. [bapt.; end. 1950s]. They had 2 children:

(1)       Kenneth Arthur Brown, b. 1950s, Salt Lake City.

(2)       Shelia Dawn Brown, b. 1950s, Panguitch.

8.       Ted Dale Owens, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s]; m. 1950s to Helen Christine Houston, dau. of Jay Frank & Roene (Syrett) Houston. She was b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s]. They had 1 child:

(1)       Gregory Dale Owens, b. 1950s, Sacramento, Calif.

9.       Douglas Wayne Owens, b. 1930s.


      MARIA EVA DEAN HENRIE, 9th child of James & Christena (Schow) Henrie, was b. 25 Feb. 1884, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 26 June 1892, end. & H. 8 Nov. 1901]. She m. (1) 14 July 1901, Panguitch, to Francis (Frank) Howard Prince [to whom she was sealed], s. of William & Louisa Evaline (Lee) Prince. He was b. 20 Sept. 1880, Panguitch [bapt. 1888, end. 8 Nov. 1901], d. 1 Oct. 1901, Panguitch Lake, and bur. in the family burying ground at Panguitch. She m. (2) 13 Nov. 1907, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple for time only), to Joseph Allen Bell, s. of Archibald & Mary Utopia (Owens) Bell. He was b. 5 Feb. 1886, Panguitch [bapt. 24 June 1894, end. 13 Nov. 1907]; he d. from a car accident 29 Oct. 1938, at Richfield, Utah, hospital, bur. in Panguitch cemetery.

      Her childhood days were spent in Panguitch on a farm, where she learned to do all the tasks a farm girl is required to do, milking, tending chickens, riding horses, etc.

      After the death of her first husband, she returned to school for a time. Later she found work as a clerk in the Cameron & Sevy Mercantile Store at Panguitch, for 5 yrs.

      She has held responsible positions in the Church. She first began serving in the Primary and at different times was play leader, teacher, and stake counselor. In the M.I.A. she was stake secretary- treasurer; in Sunday [p. 183] School she was secretary and teacher; in Relief Society she has been a visiting teacher, teacher, assistant treasurer, and assistant chorister. She has been a stake missionary for 2 yrs., also a missionary to the St. George Temple where she performed work for 61 women.

      She sang in Sunday School and Sacrament Meeting choirs from the time she was a very small girl. All her life she has loved to sing, especially in duets, trios, and quartets. She was a member of the Singing Mothers group of the Stake and sang in the Salt Lake Tabernacle. She is a member of a Bazooka Band, which has entertained for the D.U.P. Convention at the Hotel Utah and over radio station KSL. At Cedar City they broadcasted over KSUB. They have been invited to entertain at many places, weddings, family reunions dances, etc. They play frequently to raise funds for the Primary. She has been chorister of the D.U.P. camp and president of the same for 4 yrs., and presently is acting as chorister for the organization.

      Since the death of her second husband she has helped in rearing some of her grandchildren.

      Joseph Allen & Maria Eva Dean (Henrie) Bell had 3 children, b. in Panguitch:

1.       Iris Bell, b. 13 Aug. 1908 [bapt. 1910s]; m. (1) 10 Sept. 1930, Circleville, Utah, to David Blain Smith (or Blain David Smith) s. of David Alexander & Sarah Jane (Hopkins) Smith. He is now serving in the Air Force, and Iris and he are divorced. She m (2) 16 Feb. 1947, Pioche, Nev., to Thomas Grant Jones, s. of Thomas William .& Margaret Elizabeth (Prothers) Jones. He was b. 13 Mar. 1906, Paragonah, Iron Co., Utah [bapt. 1910s, end. 1920s].

      Iris and David had 3 children, b. in Panguitch:

(1)       Warren B1ain Smith, b. 1930s [bapt 1940s].

(2)       Javene Smith (female), b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s]; m. 1950s, St. George (L.D.S. Temple), to Dale W. Jordon, s. of Daniel & Bessie (Argile) Jordon. He was b. 1920s, Chopin, Idaho.

(3)       Joseph Dale Smith, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s].

      Thomas Grant and Iris had 1 child, b. in Cedar City, Utah:

(4)       Thomas Grant Jones Jr., b. 1940s.

2.       Joseph Oren Bell, b. 1910s [bapt. 1910s]; m. 1930s, Panguitch, Utah, to Freda Mae Lee, dau. of Parley James & Susie Jennett (Taylor) Lee. She was b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s]. They had 3 children:

(1)       Barbara Lee Bell, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s].

(2)       Joan Louise Bell, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 31 Jan. 1948]. [p. 184]

(3)       Paula Elaine Bell, dau, of Joseph Oren & Freda Mae (Lee) Bell, b. 1950s, Salt Lake City, Utah.

3.       R. D. Bell (Male), 3rd child of Joseph Allen & Maria Eva Dean (Henrie) Bell, was b. 1910s [bapt. 1920s]; m. Helen Roberts, non-member of the L.D.S. Church. During WorId War II R.D. served in the Air Force in North Ireland and England. They had 2 children;

(1)       Joseph Allen Bell, b. 1940s, England.

(2)       Clive George Bell, b. 1940s, Panguitch, Utah.


      RHOANA DEE HENRIE, 10th child of James & Christena (Schow) Henrie, was b. 12 Nov. 1886, Panguitch, Utah [bapt. 24 May 1896, end. & H. 29 Nov. 1905]; m. 29 Nov. 1905, in Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to David Henry Owens, s. of William Thomas & Sarah Emily (Jones) Owens. He was b. 4 Dec. 1881-2, Panguitch [bapt. at Bunkerville, Nev.; end. 29 Nov, 1905].

      Rhoana Dee lived on a farm with her brothers and sisters and feels that it was the happiest time of her life. She rode horses and went swimming or “dirt crawling” and enjoyed many other pastimes, as well as the work that was to be done daily on the farm. She quit school while in the 8th grade to work in the Cameron & Sevy Store, in 1900, and worked for 5 yrs.

      She worked in the Primary organization as teacher and counselor most of her married life, and was a visiting teacher in Relief Society. Her bishop later released her from church activities that she might be free to care for her mother, which he said was one of the most important works anyone could do. A year after her mother died, she was called to fill the position of president of the South Ward Relief Society, which position she held from 1928 to 1935. After a new bishop was appointed, she went back to work in the Primary as a teacher for the Trail Builder boys. She was a teacher in Sunday School and a visiting teacher in Relief Society, At the age of 64, she now holds the position of Librarian in the Panguitch Library,

      David Henry & Rhoana Dee (Henrie) Owens had 9 children, b. in Panguitch

1.       David Kern Owens, b. 2 Mar. 1907 [bapt. 1910s, end. 1920s]; m. 1920s, Salt Lake City (L.D.S. Temple), to Grace Beckstrom, dau. of Joseph Oscar & Ella Caroline (Lloyd) Beckstrom. She was b. 10 Oct. 1909, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s, end. & H. 1920s]. They had 5 children

(1)       Richard Bruce Owens, b. 1930s, Murray, Utah; m, 1950s, to Verna Arlee Holeman, dau. of Vernon LeRoy & Arvilla Marie (Boothe) Holeman. She was b. 1930s, Delta, Millard Co., Utah. [Both were end.& sealed 17 May 1952]. They had 1 child:

(a)       Julie Owens, b. 1950s, Panguitch, Utah. [p. 185]

(2)       Norma Kay Owens, 2nd child of David Kern & Grace (Beckstrom Owens, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s],

(3)       David LaGene Owens, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s].

(4)       Lois Carline Owens, b. 1930s, Panguitch [bapt. 1940s].

(5)       Susan Rhoana Owens, b. 1940s, Panguitch.

2.       Lella Owens, 2nd child of David Henry & Rhoana Dee (Henrie) Owens, b. 5 June 1909, Panguitch, d 1910s.

3.       Mary Owens, b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end. & S. to H. 1930s]; m. 1930s, Manti (L.D.S. Temple), to Arthur Partridge, s. of John Thomas & Maria (Wesson) Partridge. He was b. 4 Nov. 1909, Panguitch [bapt. 1910s, end. 1930s]. They had 4 children, all b. in Panguitch:

(1)       Venice Partridge, b. 1930s, d. 1930s.

(2)       Alan Arthur Partridge, b. 1930s [bapt. 1940s].

(3)       Merlin Kay Partridge, b. 1940s [bapt. 1940s].

(4)       Paul Jay Partridge, b. 1940s.

4.       Grendene (Gren Dene) Owens, b. 1910s [bapt. 1920s]; m June Orton.

5.       Rae Owens, b. 1910s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end & H. 1950s]; m. 1930s, Panguitch, to Vernon William LeMmon, s. of John S. LeMmon. He was b. 1910s, Leamington, Millard Co., Utah [bapt. 1920s, end. 1950s]. They had 4 children:

(1)       Vernon LeRoy LeMmon, b. 1930s, Silver City, Juab Co., Utah [bapt. 1940s, P. 1950s].

(2)       Carol Jeanne LeMmon, b. 1940s, Eureka, Juab Co., Utah [bapt. 1940s, P. 1950s].

(3)       Joanna Lee LeMmon, b. 1940s, San Francisco, Calif. [ P. 1950s].

(4)       Phillip David LeMmon, b. 1940s, Long Beach, Calif. [ P. 1950s].

6.       Datus Henrie Owens, b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1920s, end. 1940s]; m. 1940s, Panguitch, to Lida Talbot, dau. of William Henry & Ethel (Hatch) Talbot. She was b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930, end. & H. 1940s]. [p. 186]

            Datus Henrie & Lida (Talbot) Owens had 2 children, b. in Panguitch:

(1)       William Datus Owens, b. 1940s.

(2)       Janet Owens, b. 1940s.

7.       Thiel Owens (male) 7th child of David Henry & Rhoana Dee (Henrie) Owens, b. 1920s , Panguitch, d. 1920s.

8.       Gloyd Owens, b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt. 1930s]; not married. He graduated from Seminary and Primary. When a senior in high school he quit to join the army. He went to Ft. Douglas in 1943, then to Camp Roberts, Calif., to the Infantry Replacement Training Center. He completed satisfactorily the 17 weeks training, specializing in Intelligence and Reconnaissance Platoon. He was transferred to Ft. Ord, Calif., then to Camp Butler, No. Carolina. After these shiftings he was sent overseas to the Pacific theater of war, to New Guinea and New Britain where he joined the 40th Div. He participated in the liberation of Luzon, Layte, Mindanao, Negros, Panay, and other islands. While in Luzon he was promoted from PFC to Corporal, and at Panay he was advanced to Sgt.; was in foreign service approximately 16 months. He received an honorable discharge for honest and faithful service 15 Feb 1946. This division was bumped and banged around from one place to another and suffered severe punishment from the elements, lack of food, and the enemy.

9.       Kolleen Owens, b. 1920s, Panguitch [bapt.]; m. 1940s Salt Lake City, to Wilford Baxter Griffen, 9. of Loren W. & Bessie (Baxter) Griffen. He was b. 1920s, Escalante, Utah. They had 3 children, b. in Panguitch:

(1)       David Loren Griffen, b. 1940s.

(2)       Wilford Kent Griffen, b. 1940s.

(3)       DeAnn Griffen, b. 1950s. [p. 187]